Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JR Reed

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

JR Reed

Why do you bench a player when you know we have a problem with Special Teams??????????? That roster debockle cost us the game.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: JR Reed

Probably because you need his active roster spot for someone who may contributed beyond special teams.

To say that cost us the game is ridiculous.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

We probably needed to free up a space for another DB since we were thin and injured there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Probably because you need his active roster spot for someone who may contributed beyond special teams.

To say that cost us the game is ridiculous.
    It's not rediculous seeing that Curtis fumbled the ball. Roster spots count, we brought him in to do what Curtis did bad. Special Teams are important and J.R. Reed should have been returning the kick.

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    It's not rediculous seeing that Curtis fumbled the ball.
    A completely ridiculous hindsight argument. Curtis has been working as a kick return for a while now, it's not like they just threw him in there. You have to count on your players to play well, and Curtis made a costly mistake. You take the risk of deactivating Reed because you have injuries in the secondary that requires depth. It's not a great situation, but to sit here and pretend like it was a huge mistake is insane. If you make Reed active but deactivate a corner and Fisher has to come out, then we're even thinner on defense, which sees the field much more often than ST.

On the PD board, Jeff Gordon said Reed "just didn't have the burst to return kicks any more -- so Curtis got the nod, even though he has never looked comfortable doing that. Look for the Rams to address that position immediately."

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    On the PD board, Jeff Gordon said Reed "just didn't have the burst to return kicks any more -- so Curtis got the nod, even though he has never looked comfortable doing that. Look for the Rams to address that position immediately."
    Sounds like opinion more than fact, but who knows.

Some Linehan's press conference qoutes:

(On the decision to have S J.R. Reed inactive against Seattle)

“A couple of things. One was our concern with the secondary position. I think the fact that we were able to bring Carpenter back…he’s got a lot more experience in the back end if something were to happen. We dropped our defensive backs like flies the week before, and we were in kind of a potential critical problem with what was in another secondary player. We still were really in the same position we were in going into this game. We just felt that we were going to be able to ensure ourselves a guy that probably a little bit more comfortable with our defense if we needed to call on him. Plus, Carp’s pretty good special teams player in the core teams. I told J.R. it was really nothing he did, or didn’t do or anything like that. It was more to back ourselves up in the secondary, and to give Kevin a chance. We haven’t really gotten there with our return game when it comes to our kickoff returns. I think our punt returns are showing some promise. We had designed a lot of returns this week that would hopefully, and it didn’t work out that way, but hopefully play to Kevin’s strengths. He was going to get a bulk of the returns anyways, so it just made sense this week to do it that way.”

(On if he will continue to use Curtis as a kickoff returner)

“We’ll continue to work it there. We’re still trying to find our identity there in our returns, and I think…a combination of who’s returning and how we’re blocking, like anything else, if a certain unit’s not doing as well as we expect, or at a standard that we set, we’ve got to all be accountable for it and improve on it. I think we’ve got to improve our ability to return, not only with who’s catching the kicks and returning them, but who’s blocking. I think that’s going to all be part of it. We’ll continue to keep searching and trying to find an answer there.”

Sounds like he's trying to shake things up to get something going. I did miss JR being in there and his madman like presence on STs returns and defense and hope we'll see him back soon. Whatever happens I just want the STs units to be successful. Whether it be Reed, Curtis, McDonald, Looker or whoever bringing the kicks back. It's just my personal preference for Reed and his comeback story that makes me wish he was the return guy last week.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

If Curtis is a play maker, as many on this board believe. Then you have to find a way to get the ball into his hands. Returning kicks, takes a different breed of individual. With his speed, he should do well. The burning question is does he have the ****s to run full spead at the other 10 players running full speed at him.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

It's not rediculous seeing that Curtis fumbled the ball. Roster spots count, we brought him in to do what Curtis did bad. Special Teams are important and J.R. Reed should have been returning the kick.

Sorry, but thats a tad silly arguement, Whats happened if JR Reed would have fumbled, there's always that factor.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieSlater View Post
    Sorry, but thats a tad silly arguement, Whats happened if JR Reed would have fumbled, there's always that factor.
    Not a silly argument. I look at the small things. When Curtis fumbled the ball he was running to the left side of the field. Problem was he had the ball in his right hand. Had he had the ball in his left hand the ball would have been in better position to be knocked out of bounds by one of our players. If any of you who have argued against my statements know anything about football, you would know that's fundemental.

I know our defense should have made the stops, and Curtis was not the reason for loosing the game, but when you have problems on Special Teams you go with a proven player. Plain and Simple.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Why do you bench a player when you know we have a problem with Special Teams??????????? That roster debockle cost us the game.
    I know our defense should have made the stops, and Curtis was not the reason for loosing the game, but when you have problems on Special Teams you go with a proven player. Plain and Simple.
    That was a quick turnaround.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    He pulled a RamsFan16.

I really don't think Curtis is going to be effective at all. I mean, did it seem to you guys that Curtis appeared to be running in mud? I mean, he's fast, very fast but on Kick Return it looks like even if he sprints he's slow, and runs in a scared way it appeared to my 17 year old eyes.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I didn't change my stance, That was meant to say that they should have played J.R. Reed plain and simple. My opinion is my opinion you don't have to like it.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I didn't change my stance, That was meant to say that they should have played J.R. Reed plain and simple. My opinion is my opinion you don't have to like it.
    That basically says that roster move by not playing Reed cost us the game. I mean Reed is the "roster debacle" you are talking about right?

This says Curtis didn't cost us the game.

It doesn't matter if I like your opinion or not, but at least be consistent.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

general counsel is offline Registered User

curtis' fumble was a major contributing factor in costing us the game, it did not, by itself, cost of the game. That argument makes no sense. There were plenty of other bad plays in the game by the rams and that one alone didnt do it.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast