Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JT on 1380

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: JT on 1380

great we finally get a quality CB and folks dont want us to pay him his due pay to keep him...

hope you like seeing your team spend high pick after high pick again trying to replace him the way they did when they let Bly walk,because ive had enough of it already!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    great we finally get a quality CB and folks dont want us to pay him his due pay to keep him...

hope you like seeing your team spend high pick after high pick again trying to replace him the way they did when they let Bly walk,because ive had enough of it already!
    So do we over pay him or give him what he deserves. IMO he isnt a top ten corner but I bet Denver and Detroit will over pay for him because that's what free agency is all about over paying for guys even though they may not be worth it. So if signing Bartell means we can't bring in anyone in free agency is it worth it??? I'm all for keeping him if it doesnt mortgage the future of this team. Let's sign him just not at the price that the Rams will be a non-factor for anyone of quality in free agency.
    Just Fix It

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    So do we over pay him or give him what he deserves. IMO he isnt a top ten corner but I bet Denver and Detroit will over pay for him because that's what free agency is all about over paying for guys even though they may not be worth it. So if signing Bartell means we can't bring in anyone in free agency is it worth it??? I'm all for keeping him if it doesnt mortgage the future of this team. Let's sign him just not at the price that the Rams will be a non-factor for anyone of quality in free agency.
    Detroit may have more cap space than us but they also have even more holes than us and 2 first round picks to pay for,so when it comes down to it i doubt if they would put out a bid for him that is off the charts and one we couldnt match. Fisher and the Titans have never been a team to break the bank to keep a player,let alone acquire one.it may have been a while since they had the cap space that the lions have,but i see Schwartz learning from his experience with them that its better to have a team with a good spread of blue collar talent than big time free agent signings.

Denver have a pretty good O..but their D needs serious work..again perhaps more than ours...they are switching to a 3-4 and they dont have much talent in their LB`s,D-linemen or Secondary...McDaniels and Pioli have come from the Pats who are just as stringent on paying big bucks for players as the Titans..unless they truly are the centrepiece of the team..i can see why theyd like to have Bartell but when all is said and done i dont think they would offer huge money for him like has been suggested as i dont see them having Bartell pinned down to be one of their top players. they are looking for their number 2 CB behind Champ Bailey...if a team is gonna outbid us for our number 1 CB just so they can have him play as their number 2..that would suggest that we are being pretty cheap with our offer.

we dont have great cap space at the moment but i dont think anyone can deny we arent actively doing something about getting that cap space number higher.

as for Bartell himself as a player...its worth noting that he came from if i recall correctly a small college in Howard,came to the Rams and were coached under Marmie,then Haslett & Milus for 3 years...hardly a C.V filled with a long list of great coaching and yet he has improved into a very good corner...imagine how better he could get under the leadership of Spagnuolo(and others) who before he became the Giants DC was a secondary coach with quite an impressive collection of CB`s.

id be interested to know who in the NFL youd consider better than him(im not saying he`s the best there is btw,but i could see him one day being in the top 3,which i would place him just outside of at this point) all things considered who has played to his level?..taking into consideration that he hasnt had many games in his career with us,when the opposing QB hasnt had all the time he`s wanted to pick our secondary apart...imagine how dangerous he would become once Spags has got us blitzing the crap out of opposing QB`s.

he may not have made the Pro bowl yet but dont let that fool you into thinking that is any serious and true reflection on how talented he is.
    the selections made on the teams representing each conference is getting a bigger joke with each passing year!

i think the item of press dramatization that has brought this thread about is gonna be discovered to be unfounded and Bartell will stay with us for a decent price..but one that will still mean we can get the odd Free agent ourselves here and there.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -02-24-2009 at 06:27 PM.

ramsfan38 is offline Registered User

It amazes me the number of people who are challenging Bartell's right to negotiate the best contract available. The Rams cap situation is not his problem or his fault. He has a right to get a fair compensation (based on the market, not just what the Rams can afford). Bartell didn't look good because the front 7 on the defense was so horrible, he looked good in spite of the horrible front 7. Think what he may be able to accomplish if we were actually able to put some pressure on the opposing qb. He was the only CB in the league to successfully defend Larry Fitzgerald in the red zone.

Here is a recent article analyzing Bartell's free agency worth:

The Top 5 Bargins and Risks of the 2009 NFL Free Agency Class
    www.scoresreport.com/2009/02/23/the-top-5-bargains-and-risks-of-the-2009-nfl-free-agent-class/

With free agency ready to kickoff this Friday, February 27, hope once again springs eternal for fans across the NFL.
    But it seems like more than any other year, the free agent market this offseason has been picked bone dry before teams have even had the chance to grab their shopping carts.
    Nnamdi Asomugha?
    Sorry, off the market after re-signing with the Raiders.
    Julius Peppers?
    Franchised, but teams can probably have him for two first round picks, a gazillion dollars and a six yachts.
    Terrell Suggs?
    Likely staying put in Baltimore after being franchised.
    Karlos Dansby? Brandon Jacobs? Matt Cassel? O.J. Atogwe? Darren Sproles? Antonio Bryant? Dunta Robinson?
    All franchised.
    Are there any players left on the market to get excited about? Absolutely, there are plenty of quality free agents available and bargains to be had. But as in previous years, there are a ton of risks, as well.
    Below are five free agents that might command a decent amount of money this offseason, but will also be worth the heavy price tag in the end. I’ve also complied a group of five free agents that could turn out to be thieves this offseason by commanding big bucks, yet those investments may not pay off once teams start strapping on helmets and shoulder pads again.
    Bargains at any Price:
    1. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, WR, Bengals
    Forget his age (31) and the fact that he’s had the opportunity to play in a passing offense opposite Chad Johnson for most of his career – Housh is that good. He’s a solid route-runner, very dependable and unlike most receivers, he isn’t afraid to go across the middle to haul in a pass. He’s physical at the line of scrimmage and can adjust extremely well when the ball is in the air. He doesn’t have breakaway speed, but he’s fast enough to stretch a defense and he’s a fierce competitor. He’s going to command top dollar as the best receiver on the market, but any team that’s willing to spend to boost their wideout corps should pony up because chances are they won’t be disappointed.
    2. Michael Boley, LB, Falcons
    Two years ago Boley was considered a future Pro Bowler and a vital part of the Falcons’ defensive core. But he eventually lost his starting outside linebacker spot to Coy Wire late in the 2008 season because he didn’t fit Mike Smith’s defensive scheme. Boley’s strengths are in coverage and when he’s allowed to use his outstanding athletic ability in pursuit. But in Smith’s defense, the strong-side linebacker is required to stay home and make their biggest impact against the run, which isn’t one of Boley’s strengths. If the Falcons don’t re-sign Keith Brooking, there’s a chance they could re-up with Boley and move him to the weak-side position where he’d have more opportunities to run around and play in open space. But chances are Atlanta won’t break the bank to re-sign him and he’ll hit the open market, where he’ll surely make some team very happy. Boley isn’t overly aggressive, but given the chance to make plays, he’ll come up big and he’s one of the best coverage linebackers on the market.
    3. Igor Olshansky, DE, Chargers
    After Carolina franchised Julius Peppers, Olshansky and the Cowboys’ Chris Canty became the top defensive ends on the market. And with more teams switching to the 3-4 defense (the Packers and Broncos are the latest), linemen who can play in that front are at a premium. Olshansky won’t come cheap, but he’ll be worth it to a team like the Packers, who are in desperate need of 3-4 defensive ends. Olshansky has a great motor, is a blue-collar type of player and has been a starter for his entire five-year career. He’s not the quickest end in the league, but then again he doesn’t have to be playing in the 3-4. At 6’6”, 309-pounds, he has outstanding size and is steady in run support. He’s also only 26 years old and hasn’t shown signs that he’s peaked.
    4. Ron Bartell, CB, Rams
    Bartell will cost some team roughly $30 million over the next six years, but he might be worth the lofty price tag. His solid play was overshadowed by how bad the Rams defense was last year and on a better team, the 27-year old might excel. Along with Bryant McFadden and Domonique Foxworth, Bartell is the best cornerback on the market and the Rams might have priced themselves out of re-signing him after franchising safety O.J. Atogwe. At 6’1”, 205 pounds, Bartell has excellent size, can play safety in a pinch and is a solid tackler. Teams would be wise not to judge how bad St. Louis’s defense was last year in grading Bartell. He might not be the flashiest name on the market, but he’s a solid player nonetheless.
    5. Jason Brown, C, Ravens
    Matt Birk (Vikings) and Jeff Saturday (Colts) are bigger names, but Jason Brown is the best center on the free agent market this year. He’s likely to command $40 million over the next five years, which is steep for a guy who has never made the Pro Bowl. But he has Pro Bowl talent and at only 25 years of age, he could help anchor a team’s line for years to come. Brown has loads of experience, has outstanding size at 6’3”, 320 pounds, and displays excellent burst off the ball. Again, he won’t come cheap, but there are several teams in need of a center this offseason and he’ll be the top catch.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

seriously guys? we need to pay whatever it takes to keep our best players,especially the one's that ARE ENTERING THE PRIME OF THEIR CAREERS!!
    he has said before that he wants to stay with the rams, and if we don't keep him he will be just like the past players that we have decided against paying up to
    This isn't an adam archuleta situation, this is a
    london fletcher
    dre bly
    kevin curtis
    situation
    GET IT DONE BILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The Rams aren't going to resign him. They should have locked him up before last season but the "thinking" was Hill/Brown could do the job. Well, Hill is a lost cause and Brown is no longer with the team.

Blame the Shaw/Ziggy front office for this debacle.

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Okay Dear Sir; Is that a real trophy or is this a photo shop thingy? Myself I just won a lanyard for my picks of 15-1 one week from Rivals.com. ???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12