UnderdogRam is offline Registered User

A juicy problem-WHINER issues

Everyone seems to be counting the Whiners out of it already. While traveling this week I picked up a couple of sports publications and like always read their predictions. Several have the Whiner finishing last in our division. As much as I would love all this to be true, I find it hard to believe that they won't be competitive with us and the rest of the league. Here are some issues to mill around. And to be honest I worry more about them the Seahags.

1) Owens is gone. He always provided a disruption to team chemistry. Not having him is more of a blow to the rest of the teams and helps the Whiners.

2) Barlow will now be the feature back. This kid has all the tools to be great. The problem was he sat behind Hearst for so many years. 1st round fantasy back in my book.

3) Some of their young receivers really impressed me this past season. They no longer are under the shadows of Owens as well

4) This Rattey kid if he gets healthy by camp will be a stud. He passes much better than Garcia and seems to make faster reads. The couple games he played last season he put up some gaudy numbers.

5) They lost very few players on their line and their defense. That means they should only get stronger much like the Rams.

My pick is they will finish better than Seahags and one game behind us, if not tied. If we look past them like much of the league is, you can bet they will take the division

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Re: A juicy problem-WHINER issues

Maybe. Maybe anything can happen in the NFL. But, how probable?

I can't buy into your underselling of Owens. He is a force. Had he had a better QB, able to exploit Owen's talent, I think the ***** would have been much stronger. Regardless of how he got along with everyone, he has all the tools and has proven himself to be a great WR. His departure can only weaken the *****, unless he is replaced by someone of equal calibre, which doesn't appear to be the case.

Barlow is good, but so was Hearst. Again, I can't buy into your underselling of Hearst's talents. The progression from Hearst to Barlow seemed to be natural, one RB got older and more banged up, the younger one took his spot.... much like we envision Jackson to do to Faulk.

And, going off on a tangent, depending on the dollars and contract terms, as stated elsewhere, it would not be unforeseeable to see the Rams cut Faulk loose or trade him next season if Jackson proves he is a stud RB.

But, back to the subject, I can't imagine the the ***** will be a strong team. I have to agree with the analysts; the ***** have been decimated by personnel turnover.

rampower is offline Registered User

I would never count anything out, I am sure they will play hard against the rams, but I can only see a season of "rebuilding" for the whiners next year.

I am more surprised by how much the hawks are getting talked up, I appreciate they are our main rivals in the west and it'll be close, but I really don't see a superbowl in their cabinet next year.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I disagree UD. I am more worried about Arizona and Green turning that ship around. Their recievers are going to be tough, Green will have a lot of toys already to run his style of offense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Whiners defense, that I'm aware of, remains virtually the same, but their offense took a big hit. They lost Garcia, Hearst, Owens, Streets. Their starting QB, RB, and both WRs from last season are gone. They're going to be depending on the unproven Brandon Lloyd and the rookie Rashaun Woods to be the guys for them against experienced defenses in the league. I think they lost their starting left tackle to the Bucs as well. I just don't see this kind of team as the type of contender they were last season.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Oh, and I think Green is way overrated. I expect the "zonies" to be walked over as usual. Seattle and Rams fight it out for the top spot (if Bulger delivers).

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Personally, as a Rams fan, I don't have any optimistic thoughts for other teams seasons, especially the whiners, but hey, that's just me.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    The Whiners defense, that I'm aware of, remains virtually the same, but their offense took a big hit. They lost Garcia, Hearst, Owens, Streets. Their starting QB, RB, and both WRs from last season are gone. They're going to be depending on the unproven Brandon Lloyd and the rookie Rashaun Woods to be the guys for them against experienced defenses in the league. I think they lost their starting left tackle to the Bucs as well. I just don't see this kind of team as the type of contender they were last season.
    Maybe I'm too optimistic, but we should win this division by 2 games.
    Whiners, too many ???s on offense--- 5-11
    Cards, what good are WR's w/o a QB---6-10
    Hawks, how are they any different from last year? --- 10-6
    Rams, how are we any differnent from last year? --- 12-4
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HornyRam is offline Registered User

underdog, are you serious?

lmao

you sound more like a whiner fan than a Rams fan.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Maybe I'm too optimistic, but we should win this division by 2 games.
    Whiners, too many ???s on offense--- 5-11
    Cards, what good are WR's w/o a QB---6-10
    Hawks, how are they any different from last year? --- 10-6
    Rams, how are we any differnent from last year? --- 12-4
    Well, the Seahawks play the exact same opponents as we do except they play Dallas and Minnesota while we play Green Bay and Philly, which I think are two tougher opponents than the Cowbows and the Vikes. We'll benefit from the Eagles defense being weaker (IMO) than it was last season, but heading to Green Bay to play in late November doesn't sound good in my opinion. Hopefully Minnesota and Dallas will both be able to stop Seattle, and we can pull out a win in both of our games. I'm glad that we'll be tango-ing with Philly at the Dome considering the result the last time they were there.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Just me (not including the other half or the rugrat's opinions) I see this years results along the lines of this...

Whiners.....8-8
    Seachickens.....10-6
    Cards.......7-9
    Rams....13-3

some of you may have noticed a difference in my numbers that I posted a couple of months ago on the insiders forum. The reasons for this are the "vibes" I am getting from the training camp reports, as well as studying our guys records and trying to fit them all together.
    Basically, here's what I see:
    The cards, as usual, are trying to rebuild. This year, they will be starting on the right track.
    The whiners will be hit from the personnel changes, but will still be good enough to go even.
    The chickens will be suffering from money troubles, after signing Wistrom. They got a good player, but paying for him will hit them in the pocket, so they will be hurting at a couple of other spots.
    As for us....we may not have the #1 QB, or the #1 wide reciever, or the #1 toilet paper in our bathrooms, but we do have a solid team, a good crew that knows how to respect and learn from one another....and that will result in a year where we will once again be a threat to everyone. I don't see a repeat of '99, but I wouldn't bet money against our boys this year even if I was capable of treason....

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

You're kidding right? At least 5 starters on offense gone including Garcia, Streets, T.O., Hearst, and arguably their best O-Lineman in Ron Stone. Rattay is unproven, Barlow has had injury issues, and if Brandon Lloyd and Cedrick Wilson couldn't crack the 2nd spot above Tai Streets then I have no fear of the Niner pass attack.

Seahawks are in a much better situation. They, like the Rams, are a fairly young team that will improve. However, I don't think the signing of Wistrom will make up for the loss of their MLB, both starting DT's and SS Reggie Tongue. Anyone else notice the trend? Seems like the Sqauwks are going to be a bit soggy up the middle.

Arizona could actually be fielding a decent team in a few years. Then again, who knows what their ownership is going to do. They have a solid young WR corps, and good RB in Marcel Shipp, and Dennis Green is so confident in Josh McCown at QB that they didn't draft one in this years draft.

I wouldn't expect the standing's to look any different than this:
    Rams: 12-4
    Seahawks: 11-5
    *****: 6-10
    Cardinals 5-11

moklerman is offline Registered User

The ***** are definitely going through some changes. The strength of their team is their defense which seems relatively in tact from last year. They played pretty well in some games last year as well as being relatively young overall. The added experience will benefit them. They will have a new DC which may be good or bad. I've heard mixed reviews on Jim Mora's abilities as a DC so I'll be curious to see if the unit regresses or not.

The offense is obviously a question mark for them but the Rattay/Barlow combo on offense was able to beat the Rams by 20 points last year so I don't know for sure that the loss of Garcia and Owens will be as much of an impact as it naturally seems to assume it will. "If" Rattay can come back from the groin (I have doubts that he will be able to be anywhere near 100% healthy this year.) the offense may do better than people think.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the Rams being able to "cake walk" through the division like some people are predicting. We split with SF and Seattle last year and swept the Cards, although barely in one game. If two of those three teams have become better and the Rams have stayed about the same, there is a chance that some of our nail-biter victories won't swing our way. Realistically, a split with all three teams is likely at this point.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The fartywhiners will not improve. Not only did they loose a good part of the talent they had, but the front office is in disarray with all this talk of the Balco scandal and the assciation with the whiner franchise. I see the whiners at the bottom of the divison for the forseeable future. :redface:
    Remember they lost their defensive coordinator too.

The zoners might improve, they have some good talent at the wideout spot, but the rest of the team is a ?

The seasqwaks will be a challenge, but as noted in earlier posts,they lost alot of personell up the middle on defense. (Big Hole ) The question is can they win on the road this season?

The RAMS will win this divison hands down if they stay healthy.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey