Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eric2810

Thread: Julio Jones and the Rams, a match made in heaven, if heaven were run by Mike Mayock

Bosna-Ram Guest

Julio Jones and the Rams, a match made in heaven, if heaven were run by Mike Mayock

by: vanram

Regardless of the evolving mock drafts from Mel Kiper and the other draft pundits, it's hard to get away from the idea of the Rams drafting anyone but Alabama WR Julio Jones. That depends entirely on whether or Jones is available at #14 when the Rams pick.
    Jones-to-the-Rams talk makes sense because it's just such a bloody obvious need. The Rams finished their 2010 season with a ugly loss in prime time, their first prime time appearance in years. A big part of the reason for that loss was the obvious lack of talent at wide receiver. Receivers dropped passes all over the field that night, even normally reliable ones.
    Of course, you might also remember that night Steve Spagnuolo's uber-conservative offensive approach was questioned on national television, and for some reason the Rams refused to run the ball despite some early success. That conservative approach to the offense, most notably the team's reluctance to throw beyond 5 yards, has been in part blamed on the lack of reliable options at receiver (as well as the youth and inexperience of Sam Bradford and the offensive line). Long story short: every since mock drafts and the pundits who make them have married off the Rams and Jones. I'm sure it would be A.J. Green if they had a higher draft pick.
    In a conference call today Mike Mayock form the NFL Network had this to say about the Rams and Jones:
    If Julio's there, they probably sprint up to the podium with the card. He probably won't get past St. Louis
    Again, not exactly a huge revelation, but some insight into the thinking among draft pundits and the direction they think the Rams should take. This year with the 14th pick, unlike say the first overall pick, we won't have much of any indication to tell us what the Rams draft plans are until the night of the first round...which means get ready for lots of wild speculation between now and April 28.
    Bonus question: Is Mike Mayock the NFL Network's answer to Mel Kiper?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Julio Jones and the Rams, a match made in heaven, if heaven were run by Mike Mayo

If Green and Jones are gone, I think we take a Defensive End

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Julio Jones and the Rams, a match made in heaven, if heaven were run by Mike Mayo

Bonus question: Is Mike Mayock the NFL Network's answer to Mel Kiper?
    With the obvious exception of the one-and-only Nick Seiler, my favorite draftnik is Mike Mayock. He will have a misstep every so often, but the guy tends to be spot on, IMO. Kiper and McShay seem to always be in some silly game of one ups-manship.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    With the obvious exception of the one-and-only Nick Seiler, my favorite draftnik is Mike Mayock. He will have a misstep every so often, but the guy tends to be spot on, IMO. Kiper and McShay seem to always be in some silly game of one ups-manship.
    Mine too. I don't necessarily think it's Kiper so much as it is McShay trying to separate himself from Kiper. I really have no respect for McShay, but I usually consider Mayock's opinion the gold standard of reporter-scouting.

I will never respect Walter Football again, after arguing for months that Jimmy Clausen was the best junior quarterback to ever come out of college! At least they're admitting they were wrong though, unlike a lot of other pundits who when wrong, pretend nothing ever happened. Have some accountability and I bet you'll start making less ridiculous statements simply to stand out in the crowd!

Anyway, what were we talking about?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Mike Mayock is far superior to Kiper and McShay who are part of the ESPN media parade. Kiper and McShay are in part responding to the need to swirl draft talk when there's nothing to say. Why would Kiper change his mock to have Jones going to Houston? Based on what? Buzz, that's what. There has been no event or stat that came out over the past few weeks that would alter the pick. Besides Houston needs defense, if Jones gets taken before #14 I believe it will be the Redskins.

I truly hope we have the chance to draft Jones. Go Rams!

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I watched Jones almost every weekend for the last two years (down here you really can't avoid the Tide, like it or not). My opinion .... very sporadic. Honestly, I hope he's gone.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

thickandthin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    I watched Jones almost every weekend for the last two years (down here you really can't avoid the Tide, like it or not). My opinion .... very sporadic. Honestly, I hope he's gone.
    I didn't watch him as consistently as you, but I to hope we do not get him. IMHO I feel like he's a stronger Avery, and he's just not the kind of WR we want.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Mayock and Charles Davis, all i really need when it comes to the draft. McWho? What's a Kiper?
    Bar-bq likes this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

From what I've seen Jones is inconsistent. Only plays well when he feels like it.

BoJangles Guest

Considering what Sam did last year with the receivers we have it would be scary imagining him with someone like Julio. I'm all for it

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Considering what Sam did last year with the receivers we have it would be scary imagining him with someone like Julio. I'm all for it
    And he smashes the nail in the coffin!