Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

The jury in leonard's case is selected

11 women and 1 man on the jury. Testimory begins today. Will someone please post the article from the post-dispatch this morning. Apparantly the police officer recorded at least a portion of the arrest and the tape will be played in court.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: The jury in leonard's case is selected

You mean this article...?

Testimony begins Thursday in Leonard Little trial
    By William C. Lhotka
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Thursday, Mar. 31 2005

A jury selected after three days of questioning can expect to hear today an
    audiotape of the arrest of Rams defensive end Leonard Little last year in Ladue
    on charges of drunken driving and speeding.

According to court records, the arresting officer, Gregory Stork, turned on a
    microphone after he stopped Little's car and recorded briefly the events that
    led to Little's arrest.

Stork was in the hallway of the Clayton courthouse most of the afternoon
    waiting for prosecutor Mark Bishop to call him as the key witness in the trial.
    Jury selection took longer than expected, and Stork was told to return today,
    with opening statements in the trial scheduled for 9 a.m.

Based upon questions he posed to potential jurors, defense attorney Scott
    Rosenblum apparently will ask Stork at length about the methodology and
    procedures that Stork, a 13-year police veteran, used to determine Little was
    under the influence of alcohol.

Little, 30, of St. Charles, has pleaded not guilty of the charges.

The drunken driving charge against Little, a Pro Bowl lineman, is a felony
    because he pleaded guilty in 1999 in an alcohol-related case. Little drove his
    Lincoln Navigator through a red light downtown and collided with a car driven
    by Susan Gutweiler, 47, of Oakville. She was killed.

At 3:44 a.m. on April 24 of last year, Stork's patrol car was on the shoulder
    of westbound U.S. Highway 40 (Interstate 64), just past the McKnight Road
    overpass, when, Stork alleges, he clocked a westbound 2003 Mercedes at 78 mph
    in a 55 mph zone.

Stork pulled Little over at Lindbergh Boulevard. In affidavits and a deposition
    prior to trial, Stork has alleged that Little smelled of alcohol, failed field
    sobriety tests and refused to take a breath analysis test to determine his
    blood-alcohol content.

In a show of support for Little, more than a dozen Rams players and coaches,
    including head coach Mike Martz, defensive coordinator Larry Marmie, running
    back Marshall Faulk and quarterback Marc Bulger, attended all or part of the
    day's jury selection.

From an original panel of 80 on Monday and Tuesday, Bishop and Rosenblum
    winnowed the panel down to 48, and then picked 11 women and one man for the
    jury, with two women alternates.

In seating the jurors before adjournment Wednesday, Judge Emmett M. O'Brien
    told them they could take notes today but warned them that no transcripts of
    the testimony would be available to them either during or at the end of the
    trial.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

then picked 11 women and one man for the jury, with two women alternates.
    my first thought is, this looks better for the prosecution than the defense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

Me too HUb...
    This space for rent...

general counsel Guest

The male female ratio doesnt surprise me, given the fact that men are much more likely to be football fans and be aware of leonard little and his history than women.

general counsel

general counsel Guest

What the article doesnt tell you, which i would be interested in, is the racial makeup of the jury.

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    The male female ratio doesnt surprise me, given the fact that men are much more likely to be football fans and be aware of leonard little and his history than women.

general counsel
    That certainly is logical....still doesn't sound good for one Little.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

I agree Hubison, but from what i have seen on this board, the majority of the people here are being fair and open minded on the issue. What i mean is, he shouldnt get off just because he is a ram. On the other hand, he shouldnt be penalized because he is a celebrity. The best way for him to get a completely fair trial (ie be treated like the rest of us) is for him to be judged by a jury of his peers solely on the evidence, rather than any outside factors and therefore, i am fine with a jury of 11 women, let the chips fall where they may. I hope he is found not guilty, but i hope that verdict results based on the evidence.

ramming speed to all,

general counsel

I completely agree, GC. I hope justice wins out regardless of how it affects the Rams. I'm just saying that (in my mind anyway) 11 women may lean a little more towards putting away a drunk driver than 11 men. It's just a gut instinct, I don't have any stats to show it or anything. I may be completely wrong on this one.

general counsel Guest

HUbison, this case is partially about drunk driving for sure, but its more about the credibility of the police, since the cop is the only witness who saw anything. Little wont testify in all liklihood. Thus, query, who is more likely to believe that the police are telling the truth, women or men? I dont know the answer. I do know that the racial make up of the jury is relevant in this regard, since if you told me that there were several african americans on the jury, man or woman, i would say that favors little since they are more likely to buy into the argument that little was treated wrongfully at the scene of the incident based on the fact that he was a black man driving a fancy car. The argument doesnt have to be made legally, its implicit.

I am not saying this is right or wrong or making any sweeping racial generalizations here, only pointing out one consideration in human nature.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I completely agree, GC. I hope justice wins out regardless of how it affects the Rams. I'm just saying that (in my mind anyway) 11 women may lean a little more towards putting away a drunk driver than 11 men. It's just a gut instinct, I don't have any stats to show it or anything. I may be completely wrong on this one.
    I agree with you on this one, bison. I can see both your and GC's sides of the debate.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    HUbison, this case is partially about drunk driving for sure, but its more about the credibility of the police, since the cop is the only witness who saw anything. Little wont testify in all liklihood. Thus, query, who is more likely to believe that the police are telling the truth, women or men? I dont know the answer. I do know that the racial make up of the jury is relevant in this regard, since if you told me that there were several african americans on the jury, man or woman, i would say that favors little since they are more likely to buy into the argument that little was treated wrongfully at the scene of the incident based on the fact that he was a black man driving a fancy car. The argument doesnt have to be made legally, its implicit.

I am not saying this is right or wrong or making any sweeping racial generalizations here, only pointing out one consideration in human nature.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, your the expert here. I'd take your opinion over mine in this matter any day. As far as the...
    credibility of the police
    ...I, too, am a law enforcement officer, so there is no way I could speak objectively about that. So I will refrain.

general counsel Guest

HUBison, all i can say at this point is that given my respect for your propensity for honesty, if you were the guy that arrested little and were making the same allegations that the arresting officer was making, i would not be objective, i would say lock him up, since i would have no doubt at all that you were telling the truth.

The only way that anyone can say that little is not guilty is to conclude that the officer is not relating the events accurately. In classic criminal lawyer fashion, they will put the cop (ie see mark furman) on trial (his credibility) rather than focus on the behavior of the defendant, especially obvious in this case since there are no other witnesses.

I think you told us before you were a law enforcement officer, but that slipped my mind. Knowing that you are in law enforcement, i am even further amazed at your objectivity on this entire topic, and most importantly, your capacity to retain an open mind.

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    HUBison, all i can say at this point is that given my respect for your propensity for honesty, if you were the guy that arrested little and were making the same allegations that the arresting officer was making, i would not be objective, i would say lock him up, since i would have no doubt at all that you were telling the truth.
    Well, GC, thank you very much. Trust me when I say the feeling is mutual.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

The female to male ratio doesn't surprise me as this is often the case in St. Louis County Courts. Also I've heard that women are usually more sympathetic to the defendant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast