Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Just another great performance from Brian Shottemheimer

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Just another great performance from Brian Shottemheimer

NOT !!!!! .... and another game lost that we should have won, but did not because our offensive scheme is the worst in the league. What a pathetic performance on offense. Our defense has to be demoralized.

Furthermore - Why did we give up a 2nd round draft pick to trade up and get Tavon Austin when we could got DeAndre Hopkins and another starting offensive lineman ? Many people in this forum called it out as a mistake when the draft pick was made.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Just another great performance from Brian Shottemheimer

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Furthermore - Why did we give up a 2nd round draft pick to trade up and get Tavon Austin when we could got DeAndre Hopkins and another starting offensive lineman ? Many people in this forum called it out as a mistake when the draft pick was made.
    At what point are you going to let this go? It happened, move on.
    ramsbruce and ManofGod like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Schottenheimer has received some well-deserved criticism throughout the season, but I don't feel his game calling last night was terrible. Stacy ran for 130 yards. They outgained Seattle. They engineered an improbable 96 yard game-ending drive with a back-up QB at the helm. It is disingenuous to criticize Schotty when things don't work, then refuse to give him credit when they do. That's just wrong.

Where I have a major issue with him is on the last two plays of the game. YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO PUNCH IT IN with two tries from 2 yards out after you've driven the length of the field. I absolutely can't stand the 1 yard fade route. I've never liked it. The play fails a lot more often than it works, and running that play with Quick to end the game was a poor choice.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Schottenheimer has received some well-deserved criticism throughout the season, but I don't feel his game calling last night was terrible. Stacy ran for 130 yards. They outgained Seattle. They engineered an improbable 96 yard game-ending drive with a back-up QB at the helm. It is disingenuous to criticize Schotty when things don't work, then refuse to give him credit when they do. That's just wrong.

Where I have a major issue with him is on the last two plays of the game. YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO PUNCH IT IN with two tries from 2 yards out after you've driven the length of the field. I absolutely can't stand the 1 yard fade route. I've never liked it. The play fails a lot more often than it works, and running that play with Quick to end the game was a poor choice.
    You can't say that he both called a good game and made terrible calls in his defense. I will give him credit for having a good game plan, but that is different from making good calls in-game. Maybe his strength lies in strategic planning, because it is not evident in his play calling.

I am not saying he should be fired, but I don't think Shottenheimer could run a bath. His mistakes last night began long before the last play of the game. Why, with our first drive of the fourth quarter submarined by an illegible man down-field, did we put Clemens in the shotgun on 3rd and goal from the 3? I thought that was going to be 4 down territory, based on a lights-out effort by our defense. Would have loved to see two runs called there on the goal line.

At :27 left, if Clemens had just run a keeper, we would have scored, but running Richardson up the gut was not an insane call. Obviously, that last play call was a joke. Shottenheimer may be many things, but he is not clever, and running an empty back field made me ill. If you are going to throw it on fourth and game from the 1, do not let the team you have scorched for 199 yards on the ground play you in a single dimension.

I am also not going to let Fisher off the hook for last night. Letting the clock run down to :04 at the end of the game was dumb. Even though we are going into 4th down, it is possible that Seattle would have gifted us another 1st down off a penalty or if we did get into the end zone on 4th down, I would put long odds on Seattle marching down and scoring a TD with :18 left. Also, the blizzard of yellow flags has to reflect on a lack of leadership from Fisher.

I know we have a pathetic record from 2005-today, but what in the world is the deal with this team's long-term failure to score TD's in the red zone? Running touchdown? 'Never heard of it.' End zone? 'Only on the opponents side of the field.' Screen play? 'Never seen one.'

On so many levels this game was just sad, and showed how valuable Bradford is for this squad.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    You need to stop trying to play the "I told you so" game with Hopkins. As I said in another thread, there is no way to know if Hopkins would have had early success with the Rams (where he would not have A.Johnson on the other side and Foster in the backfield), so these types of "we could have had" analyses are pointless. Also, its worth noting that Hopkins has not exactly vaulted the Texans to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    You can't say that he both called a good game and made terrible calls in his defense. I will give him credit for having a good game plan, but that is different from making good calls in-game. Maybe his strength lies in strategic planning, because it is not evident in his play calling.

I am not saying he should be fired, but I don't think Shottenheimer could run a bath. His mistakes last night began long before the last play of the game. Why, with our first drive of the fourth quarter submarined by an illegible man down-field, did we put Clemens in the shotgun on 3rd and goal from the 3? I thought that was going to be 4 down territory, based on a lights-out effort by our defense. Would have loved to see two runs called there on the goal line.

At :27 left, if Clemens had just run a keeper, we would have scored, but running Richardson up the gut was not an insane call. Obviously, that last play call was a joke. Shottenheimer may be many things, but he is not clever, and running an empty back field made me ill. If you are going to throw it on fourth and game from the 1, do not let the team you have scorched for 199 yards on the ground play you in a single dimension.

I am also not going to let Fisher off the hook for last night. Letting the clock run down to :04 at the end of the game was dumb. Even though we are going into 4th down, it is possible that Seattle would have gifted us another 1st down off a penalty or if we did get into the end zone on 4th down, I would put long odds on Seattle marching down and scoring a TD with :18 left. Also, the blizzard of yellow flags has to reflect on a lack of leadership from Fisher.

I know we have a pathetic record from 2005-today, but what in the world is the deal with this team's long-term failure to score TD's in the red zone? Running touchdown? 'Never heard of it.' End zone? 'Only on the opponents side of the field.' Screen play? 'Never seen one.'

On so many levels this game was just sad, and showed how valuable Bradford is for this squad.
    I don't agree with your statement about my defending Schottenheimer. With a back-up QB and backfield with a lot of question marks, in my opinion he generally made decent calls for much of the night. People nitpicking over "this and that" need to understand thse calls are made within seconds of the previous play being run. You don't have all day to figure out what is the best play to run.

By the same token, you have to come up with something better than a 1 yard fade route to Quick to end the game- especially when you've run the ball down their throats all game.

And Fisher was not stupid for letting the clock run down. A Seattle penalty with no time on the clock would have given the Rams an untimed extra play had they not scored. That was even mentioned by the announcers.
    RealRam likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Obviously, that last play call was a joke. Shottenheimer may be many things, but he is not clever, and running an empty back field made me ill. If you are going to throw it on fourth and game from the 1, do not let the team you have scorched for 199 yards on the ground play you in a single dimension.
    I agree. That last play which went empty backfield was ridiculous, and made absolutely no sense. WHY? WHY?! Did Schotty actually think that telling the Seattle defense the Rams were going to pass would open things up??

And Fisher was not stupid for letting the clock run down. A Seattle penalty with no time on the clock would have given the Rams an untimed extra play had they not scored. That was even mentioned by the announcers.
    My problem with this was that the Rams seemed more concerned about not leaving time for the Seattle offense, as opposed to scoring themselves. it's like they just assumed they would score. My thoughts during that series on the goal line was, "just score, forget about the clock!".
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.

richtree is offline Registered User

I have to agree -- Schotty had a great plan for the run attack -- his formations and play calling in the run game was great. Our RBs are nice, but not great...Stacy looks good but needs a year of strength and conditioning.....

I really think if Clemons was accurate that we will -- maybe move to QB #3 for next week....also our defense at home looks great with Finnegan back and Quinn on the turf....

maybe our best defensive game , and a QB could have won that game.....

bruce4life is offline Registered User

We run that empty backfield set in the goal to goal situation all the time and never have any success. Usually Pead is in the backfield on the playcall. Why not run a wr screen on 2nd n goalr

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

FWIW on those defending Schotty, Linehan was also good at gobbling up yardage outside of the Red Zone. I hazard few people here feel Linehan's a good offense coach.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Also, its worth noting that Hopkins has not exactly vaulted the Texans to the next level.
    Hopkins would be even better in St. Louis as their QB situation in Houston is pathetic. I have watched him several times and he is a much better WR than Austin. Hopkins on track for about 60 receptions, 900 yards and 5 TDs. Can't recall many WRs that did that in their rookie year with a QB that is an interception machine. In two years, baring injury, he will be an elite WR in the NFL and Andre Johnson will be a footnote.

But what really pisses a lot of people off about that trade is that we also lost a 2nd round pick and that it is very obvious to the casual observer that our OL needs serious help.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    We run that empty backfield set in the goal to goal situation all the time and never have any success. Usually Pead is in the backfield on the playcall. Why not run a wr screen on 2nd n goalr
    Good question !!! Also, why not change the run call at the line when it was obvious that another NFL defensive coordinator knew the exact play the Rams were going to run (probably based on the formation) instead of running right into the line for no gain ? Red zone offense is pathetic

emuen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    My thoughts during that series on the goal line was, "just score, forget about the clock!".
    And if we did score and leave time for a comeback, that would be wrong to. Actually it would be bad clock management to leave time left after that fourth down. Only bad things could come from it. You score, they get to return and make a hail mary. You don't score, they kneel it anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    FWIW on those defending Schotty, Linehan was also good at gobbling up yardage outside of the Red Zone. I hazard few people here feel Linehan's a good offense coach.
    Linehan is actually an excellent offensive coach. He is not as good a head coach. The Detroit Lions are 7th best scoring and 3rd best in yardage in the NFL.

Schottenheimer's Jets actually ranked 1st in Red Zone efficiency mid december 2011, and the Rams are ranked 17th in the league in Red Zone efficiency (as high as 3rd before the Panthers game).
    PARamfan likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    AGAIN I have to bring up the fact that before the Carolina game the Rams had THE BEST RED ZONE OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. Maybe that was just Bradford, but I doubt it. Schotty HAS to have had some part of that, so we should give him the credit he deserves. And remember this was all done with a rushing attack that hasn't scored all year. Now, I know many were wondering why he didn't pound it in with Stacy, well Stacy injured his ankle before that final set of plays, so was walking wounded. That's why Richardson was in there. Richardson cannot get more than he is given. He gets a two yard hole he gets two yards. He isn't a pile pusher like Stacy is.

Lets not go off the handle saying that Schotty is terrible because the Rams offense couldn't punch in one red zone opportunity when they have done so many well this season.

The thing Schottenheimer can be criticized for the most is that with the game in the balance he elected to put the ball in Kellen Clemens' hands on the deciding last play of the game. And the play call- a fade route- requires touch and accuracy, two things Clemens lacked throughout the night. He also threw it to Quick, who currently reminds no one of Calvin Johnson and who was a non-factor Monday night.

Being critical of a coordinator is nothing new. Sometimes the criticism is justified and other times it isn't. I just think we have to be balanced in our assessment to be taken seriously. You can't attribute all failures to the coordinator and all success to the players. That's neither accurate nor fair.

You are only as good as the players you coach.
    mde8352gorams and bradwill like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast