ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

This is just the beginning...

I really started to think about our Rams and our chances of making a huge impact this year. I really do like our chances of doing some damage with the team in front of us for this season.

Then I began to think more about the Rams beyond this season. Our team is in excellent shape and should be better next year than it is this season. Not only are we going to have a lot of cap money to spend on resigning key players (Pickett, Curtis, McDonald) and possibly extending others (Fisher, Bruce), but we should be very active in the free agent market.

The main weakness I see on the team right now is in the secondary. But as it turns out, the secondary market should be filled with several high-skill players after this season. While it's seemingly just a pipe dream to be able to sign a Chris McAllister or a Charles Woodson, there are several cornerbacks that would seem to be in the Rams price range such as Will Allen, Jerry Azumah, Ricky Manning or a player with strong Ram ties, Daylon McCutcheon.

The safety market is also filled with talent if the team desides to go another direction instead of resigning Archuleta. A few intriguiging names include Corey Chavoius, Adrian Wilson, and Tank Williams. Greg Wesley and Mike Green are a couple interesting names at FS.

The rookies will have another year under their belts so we should see an offensive line better than this years with Barron finally playing RT, possibly Terrell at LG. Atogwe and Carter should be ready to contribute on a full time basis in the secondary.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but this team seems to be in pretty good shape for years to come.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: This is just the beginning...

ZigZag, I agree with you, This team will be competeive for years to come.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    While it's seemingly just a pipe dream to be able to sign a Chris McAllister or a Charles Woodson, there are several cornerbacks that would seem to be in the Rams price range such as Will Allen, Jerry Azumah, Ricky Manning or a player with strong Ram ties, Daylon McCutcheon.
    Well, it would be tough to sign Chris McAlister, considering he agreed to a seven-year deal with the Ravens last October. Also, McCutcheon is signed through 2009 with Cleveland.

On the plus side though, this looks like it could be a pretty strong cornerback class in terms of first day talent. Guys like Jimmy Williams, Jason Allen, Will Blackmon, Kelly Jennings, and Darrell Hunter look like some of the top names in the cornerback class, and could be immediate upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    A few intriguiging names include Corey Chavoius, Adrian Wilson, and Tank Williams. Greg Wesley and Mike Green are a couple interesting names at FS.
    Adrian Wilson is signed through 2009, as is Greg Wesley. Mike Green is signed through 2008.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Where do you get your information? My source is clearly outdated.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The NFLPA website allows you to search for a player, and then it shows you their salaries and how long they're signed for. It doesn't, however, show you any bonus money or the cap hit for their contract.

I didn't mean to nitpick your topic, because I agree with your sentiment. But I just wanted to clarify the status of some of the players mentioned.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

majorram is offline Registered User

I agree Zig, we will be competive for years to come, thanks to our front office!!!!!

steve:clanram:

No problem at all, Nick. Thanks for the correction. Our fellow Clan members deserve to know.