Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just do it!!!

DPskywalker Guest

Just do it!!!

We have a loser's mentality when it comes to making trades. Remember, that guy we traded a 2nd and a 5th for in 1999? Number 28? How'd that pan out?

We need to get Vincent Jackson, and we need to get him NOW. Just Do IT!!!

Don't give me this crap about his contract, etc. We can get a guaranteed Pro-Bowler who is entering the prime of his career for a 2 round pick (at the most). Or we can keep the pick and draft a guy who, assuming he pans out (not likely), won't be ready until 2012 at best. Donnie Avery, Klopfenstien, Brian Leonard...

Bird in the hand, dude. We need a deep threat, and he's the best in the league.

GO, GO, GO!!! This division is WIDE OPEN. Bradford is only going to get better, why don't we arm him with something?!?

Remember this one: "Why not us; why not now?"

PULL THE TRIGGER, DEVANEY!!!!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just do it!!!

For the record, I'd definitely roll the dice on V-Jax if (a) the trade were reasonable, and (b) he can be signed to an affordable deal.

The suggestion that this is a simple matter and the Rams should "just do it," though, stikes me as a bit naive.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We can get a guaranteed Pro-Bowler who is entering the prime of his career for a 2 round pick (at the most).
    So the Chargers would trade him for a 2nd?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DPskywalker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So the Chargers would trade him for a 2nd?
    Absolutely. He's gone after this season for a compensatory 3rd rounder anyway. He wants out. Happens in pro sports all the time (Moss, Faulk).

Of course, if he wants Peyton Manning money, screw him.

But if he'll accept what the average Pro Bowl WR makes, which is what he reportedly wants, go for it!

That's what he is, a Pro Bowl WR. Pay him accordingly.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I wouldn't give a 2nd up for him... I love his skill set and all but don't forget.. he is suspended for 5 more games.

DPskywalker Guest

He's not suspended for 5 more games. He's suspended for 2 more games (if he's traded...5 if he stays in SD).

Why do people act like a 2nd round pick is solid gold? They whiff way more often than they hit, and when they do hit, you gotta pay them big money anyway.

Why don't we just cut out the middle man, pretend we drafted him in the 2nd round in 2007 (like Avery) and pay him what we would have had to pay Avery next year had he panned out?

We've hit our last two 2nd rounders out of the park...we're LONG overdue for some hot Brian Leonard action.

Quit while you're ahead, trade the pick, and let's win some @$&@&$ football games!!!

thermobee is offline Registered User

Good job writing this dude. I couldnt agree more with you. Judging by what Seattle did the first week they might not care for him anymore so now its the time to step up. We might even be able to get him for a 3rd and a 4th next year now that we are the only team in play.

GET HIM AND SIGN HIM NOW!!

We are close, very close. The line is coming together. The defense is going to keep getting better. Sam is the real deal. Lets put this team over the top and make us a competitor this year.

DPskywalker Guest

It's us or the Vikings.

They (SD) will no doubt value our picks more than Minnesota's.

Let's go! Pro Bowl playmakers in the prime of their careers don't come around too often.

Go DEVANEY!!!! Go Kroenke!!!!

WIN NOW!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    He's not suspended for 5 more games. He's suspended for 2 more games (if he's traded...5 if he stays in SD).

Why do people act like a 2nd round pick is solid gold? They whiff way more often than they hit, and when they do hit, you gotta pay them big money anyway.

Why don't we just cut out the middle man, pretend we drafted him in the 2nd round in 2007 (like Avery) and pay him what we would have had to pay Avery next year had he panned out?

We've hit our last two 2nd rounders out of the park...we're LONG overdue for some hot Brian Leonard action.

Quit while you're ahead, trade the pick, and let's win some @$&@&$ football games!!!
    You're correct, thanks for clearing that up. And I do agree... I mean we'd be lucky if our FIRST rounder could be as good as VJ...forget about the 2nd round.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Absolutely.
    So what else did AJ Smith have to say about the matter when you two spoke?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DPskywalker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You're correct, thanks for clearing that up. And I do agree... I mean we'd be lucky if our FIRST rounder could be as good as VJ...forget about the 2nd round.
    Exactly! Everyone's talking about AJ Green...if we draft him, and he turns out to be as good as VJax in 2013, we'll consider the pick wildly successful...in which case we'd have to pay him VJax money anyway.

Why not get him now for a 2nd and use our 1st on something else?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Somebody needs to put on a suit, hop a plane, barge into the front office and with a firm authoritative tone of voice demand they make this happen or else!!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

DPskywalker Guest

Ya!!!

We have the best RB, probably the best QB, and if we got VJ, we'd have the 2nd best WR in the division.

Our D is improved, as is our O-line.

We can win the division NOW! We don't need to wait!

Let's host a playoff game!!!!!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I actually had to look at the time this thread was posted because it seemed to be the exact same as one posted about 2 weeks ago, and it pretty much is.

1) We don't know that Jackson only requires a 2nd round pick

2) We don't know that Jackson's contract demands aren't absurdly high. Remember the WR-starved Seahawks inquired and promptly said "No thanks"

3) We aren't one Vincent Jackson away from owning this division. You have some serious blinders on if you think that.

4) Jackson isn't a true #1 wideout. He is a big deep threat, but only catches around 50-70 passes per year. That is more like a #2, and that is pretty much what he is. Deep threat ability does not automatically = #1 receiver.

He would upgrade our WR corp and be our #1, but if you think you are getting anything close to a Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson game-changer type, you are mistaken.

And one more time, Jackson would not win us the division. Too many other holes. Sorry, it is true.

We are not NFL GMs and comments like "He costs only a 2nd, MAX!!!!" are ridiculous. There is no way we can know that. Teams have continuously balked at his asking price, so either every GM on earth didn't know that the Chargers would have actually accepted a 2nd if asked to, or none of them feel like he was worth a 2nd.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    We have a loser's mentality when it comes to making trades. Remember, that guy we traded a 2nd and a 5th for in 1999? Number 28? How'd that pan out?

We need to get Vincent Jackson, and we need to get him NOW. Just Do IT!!!

Don't give me this crap about his contract, etc. We can get a guaranteed Pro-Bowler who is entering the prime of his career for a 2 round pick (at the most). Or we can keep the pick and draft a guy who, assuming he pans out (not likely), won't be ready until 2012 at best. Donnie Avery, Klopfenstien, Brian Leonard...

Bird in the hand, dude. We need a deep threat, and he's the best in the league.

GO, GO, GO!!! This division is WIDE OPEN. Bradford is only going to get better, why don't we arm him with something?!?

Remember this one: "Why not us; why not now?"

PULL THE TRIGGER, DEVANEY!!!!
    I think the "loser mentality" lies in your assumption that Devaney will miss on the next 2nd rounder when he pretty clearly has hit with both Saffold and Lau.

The Faulk trade was one of the best in NFL history with hindsight. Maybe having a top 10 defense and one of the most prolific passing offenses ever made it a wee bit easier for that to happen,though.I see great things ahead for Sam,too, but the team is not in the same state as the '99 Rams.You wanna play the lottery, go ahead. I'd rather manage my assets more carefully.

And a WR is unlikely to have the impact of a RB, especially a HOFer. VJ is good but he's not Holt/Bruce/ Fitz/TO in his prime. Go look at their numbers for their 4th & 5th years & you'll see the difference between an exploding superstar and a good player who has developed solidly into a longball role on a very good offense with a well-protected and experienced QB. Two years out of five with a max of 70-ish catches & around a 1000 yds is not going to put you in perennial PB contention.

Then there's the little matter of your puzzling insistence that VJ is to be had for a single second rounder. The latest rumor out of Minn is that the deal is a second AND 3rd rounder. And the suspension situation is far from clear. It sounds to me that the NFLPA will have to fight for VJ & whatever new team may get him to get that reduction you seem to think is a given.

This is from The Vikes newsletter published on the bleacher report (9/11/10):

"For those that have not been following the Vincent Jackson suspension/trade talks, allow me to fill you in really quick.

Vincent Jackson is currently facing a three game suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy, which was announced on July 1, 2010.

Last Saturday, an unnamed team reportedly made Jackson's agents a one-year deal to acquire the 2009 Pro-Bowler. The offer was rejected by the Chargers.

San Diego's asking price was originally expected to be for a first-rounder, maybe even more. But with nobody willing to give up that much, the Chargers were out of luck.

Since then, they have lowered their asking price to both a second and third round pick.

It's not been revealed how much was offered, but we just know that it wasn't enough for San Diego to let him go to the NFC.

On September 11, rumors resurfaced that the (mystery team) would be willing to offer more if Jackson's suspension is kept at only three games, rather than six, which he could face."

Granted, it's all just speculation, but unless you have other evidence to the contrary,even a rumor, I think we have to give The Rams some benefit of the doubt there based on this info.

I am not in favor of a two pick trade for one guy at this stage in the Rams rebuild. Maybe for a QB killer DE or elite DB but not a WR of VJ's caliber and personal history. One hit/DUI & we lose three players; one broken bird/jailbird in the nest & two eggs that were never allowed to hatch is a big downside that could shake the whole nest from the tree just when we got it back up there.That's my answer to why not now & if Minn, a genuine if troubled SB contender, is the other option, it's not hard to see the answer to "why not us" from VJ's point of view.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-14-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast