RamWraith is offline Registered User

Just as feud was subsiding, Turley opens new wound

Bryan Burwell
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    01/20/2005
    Bryan Burwell
    Post-Dispatch sports columnist Bryan Burwell

The absolute best thing about covering the Rams is that this franchise gives new meaning to the phrase "never a dull moment." This great big, occasionally happy yet always dysfunctional family continues to keep us wildly entertained with a never-ending parade of on- and off-field family feuds.

I am beginning to lose track of all the internal and external tussles that have cropped up during the 10 years the Rams have been in St. Louis. We've had Isaac vs. Dick. We've had Kurt vs. Mike. We've had Kurt vs. Marc. We've had Brendagate I and II. And now the storm clouds have gathered around here again.

Call it Kyle Turley vs. Mike Martz, the Sequel.

Oh yeah, and call it something else, too.

Really silly.

I thought this goofy and embarrassing squabble between the very talented but occasionally moody head coach and his very talented but occasionally moody player was dead and buried, but I guess I was wrong.

More than a month after word leaked out that Martz and his disgruntled and injured star player got into a nasty shouting match inside the coach's Rams Park office - and three weeks after Martz at least tried to publicly bury the hatchet over this rather uncomfortable quarrel - Turley re-ignited the fire when he went on a national sports radio show, dredged up all the awkward details, then spent 10 minutes on live national radio ripping on his boss.

Turley was asked a series of questions by ESPN's Dan Patrick on Thursday, recounting the confrontation Dec. 13 in which Turley cursed Martz and allegedly threatened him after the coach accused the injured offensive tackle of being a malingerer. According to several published reports, Martz contacted NFL security to report the alleged threat.

The ball got rolling right at the start when Patrick asked Turley how important it was to get along with his head coach.

"At this point in time ... it's not too important to me at all," Turley said.

Q: "Describe the most heated part of that conversation where Martz could think you tried to kill him."

Turley: "I don't even know if that was exactly what he said. I really don't know. Guess there were accusations of a threat, but I really don't want to get into that. It was pretty ridiculous. Uh, we had a discussion. It wasn't good. I was accused of being a malingerer and a thief, and I really didn't appreciate that."

Q: "If he says you are a thief and malingerer, you must have said something that took it further."

Turley: "If you can imagine that anybody might say to you after a six-year career of not missing a down of football, not one practice, not a game ... working through a major pain, a major injury and you receive a major injury to a critical part of your body that will not only limit you in playing football but limit you in a number of things in life, and a potential quality of life aspect, and (it) was brought into question that you were potentially stealing money and faking your injury? ... I guess he didn't like a measly little football player telling him what he could go do with what he was trying to tell me, so that was the bottom line."

The details of this silliness reveal a lot about both Martz and Turley. The coach does needlessly get distracted over things he shouldn't even concern himself with, and usually the result is a mad emotional escalation. No matter what Turley said in that shouting match, why would you call NFL security on him? Why ruin a relationship with a player whom you actually need?

But Turley is not without fault. Even if Turley's version of the spat was true, why would you go on the radio and call out your boss - particularly after he swallowed his pride and said he wanted you back if you're healthy? This is not exactly the way to smooth your path back to an organization you claim is the best you've ever played for.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Re: Just as feud was subsiding, Turley opens new wound

I remember the Saints and Haslett snickering at the Rams over the deal. Well, it looks like the Saints got the last laugh.

daredevil25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    I remember the Saints and Haslett snickering at the Rams over the deal. Well, it looks like the Saints got the last laugh.
    Remember the Saints got the last laugh on Ricky Williams (after being the laugh)

Sonja Grimes, My Cousin, We Miss and Love You.
    The Falcons Flock Message Board

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Well Turley blocks better than Martz ,so I hope he stays anyway! :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Just as feud was subsiding, Turley opens new wound
    Ever notice how little boys just love to pick at their scabs?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster