Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Just a friendly reminder

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Just a friendly reminder

This is Jeff Fisher's first season as our head coach. At least give him the same grace period that Linehan and Spags were given.

Thank you!
    ManofGod likes this.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Re: Just a friendly reminder

Agreed. It's way too early to put Fisher in the Linehan/Spags boat.

It's obvious we have improved this year under Fish compared to the last few years, so give him time.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Trevor is offline Registered User

Fans expecting miracles... Have they forgotten what the Rams record was the past 2 years? I hate fans..

Rambos is offline Registered User

The year is not over, considering we have already one more win at the half way point and have been in every game but one maybe two... he's doing a great job IMO. 21 players that where here last year could not make a team this year, 21! Tells you what kind of team we had. Having 16 rookies we are going to make mistakes and we have. That being said you can see the upside in the youth on this team.

Last year I could not wait until the season was over by the half way point. This year I can't wait to see this team play more games!
    MauiRam, clarasDK and thermobee like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Last year I could not wait until the season was over by the half way point. This year I can't wait to see this team play more games!
    Exactly.

I repeat...Exactly!
    Rambos and MauiRam like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

I don't fault Fisher for the record. I fault Sneed and Fisher for their draft strategy, and without inciting a 'board riot,' including not at least giving the RGIII and/or one of the first 5 WRs (e.g. Blackmon) and good look. The 2012 draft isn't looking stellar at this point IMHO. I hope it was a fluke and doesn't show that 'Snisher' can't draft very well.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    I don't fault Fisher for the record. I fault Sneed and Fisher for their draft strategy, and without inciting a 'board riot,' including not at least giving the RGIII and/or one of the first 5 WRs (e.g. Blackmon) and good look. The 2012 draft isn't looking stellar at this point IMHO. I hope it was a fluke and doesn't show that 'Snisher' can't draft very well.
    How do you know they didn't give them a good look? Also it's not like Blackmon is setting the world on fire. At the moment there are 3 rookie starters (Jenkins, Brockers and Givens - although Watkins was also starting before he was injured) plus 4 big contributors (Zuerlein, Richardson, T. Johnson and Hekker). The only picks that could possibly be disappointing are Quick and Pead. These guys WILL get better with time, if they find ways to start/contribute this could be one of the best Rams classes in the last 15-20 years.
    live4ramin and laram0 like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    How do you know they didn't give them a good look? Also it's not like Blackmon is setting the world on fire. At the moment there are 3 rookie starters (Jenkins, Brockers and Givens - although Watkins was also starting before he was injured) plus 4 big contributors (Zuerlein, Richardson, T. Johnson and Hekker). The only picks that could possibly be disappointing are Quick and Pead. These guys WILL get better with time, if they find ways to start/contribute this could be one of the best Rams classes in the last 15-20 years.
    Agreed. The draft is paying immediate dividends, and building for the future with young talent and two first round draft picks, giving us a total of FOUR in the next two years. I see a great draft strategy.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Just a friendly reminder

I love the draft strategy thus far gentlemen. The only way to build your franchise the right way is through the draft. Te patriots, packers, niners, giants., steelers are all prime examples of this. Jeff fishers titans were a great example of this as well. Jeff hasn't had as great of success but his teams are always competitive and in the hunt.

I didn't agree with the pead and quick in the earlier rounds because I thought there were more glaring holes at o-line and safeties. These are the only players not producing out of this draft. There are still 8 more games to be played so hopefully I will eat crow on this statement.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

We just played two of the best offensive teams and future HOF QBs. its shouldnt be too disappointing that we came away on the short side. The last three loses just shows how young this team is but their definitely is a huge difference in the way fishers boys are playing. Also, having one of the more difficult schedules to start out the first half of the year isnt gonna be easy for anyone.
    thoey and bradwill like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This is Jeff Fisher's first season as our head coach. At least give him the same grace period that Linehan and Spags were given.

Thank you!
    LOL....This thread really amuses me. I don't think I have read much animosity towards Fisher here at the ClanRam.

As fans we are not given any input on who is hired or when they are fired. I would think those that lobbied for Fisher should give him more than ample grace period. I doubt anyone here lobbied for Linehan but there were quite a few that lobbied for Spags.

As for me, I did not lobby for any of the three. I take what they give us and praise or criticize accordingly. I don't think a grace period is necessary for that approach.

Having said that, I have no drastic problems with Fisher and I think he definitely has earned another year. But I won't go as far, at this point, in saying he has earned three years.

The one thing I question, right now, is Fisher not hiring a dynamic DC to replace Williams. I think I understand his position with Williams and the hope that he is able to return next season. But there is no guarantee that the commissioner will allow him to return. And if he is not allowed to return the defense has lost valuable time in the establishment of a new DC. I guess Fisher is kind of stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

rams already have more wins this year than all of last year... and.. people are complaining about the coach?? lol. What!?!?!?
    ManofGod likes this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

Thank you!
    I have one word in response to this: Preach!

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Having said that, I have no drastic problems with Fisher and I think he definitely has earned another year. But I won't go as far, at this point, in saying he has earned three years.

The one thing I question, right now, is Fisher not hiring a dynamic DC to replace Williams. I think I understand his position with Williams and the hope that he is able to return next season. But there is no guarantee that the commissioner will allow him to return. And if he is not allowed to return the defense has lost valuable time in the establishment of a new DC. I guess Fisher is kind of stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.
    With all due respect, I believe you are wrong on a couple of points.

When the Rams hired a new coach and a new GM, they were basically wiping the slate clean and starting fresh. Not a bad strategy, given the Rams' recent history. The Rams got the best guy available for head coach, and I believe it was an excellent move.

He should hold the job in confidence with full support of the organization, until such time as he proves he can't handle it (which may never happen). Thinking in terms of Fisher earning a year, but not three, implies his job is not secure, and he can be yanked at the first sign of a slump. To me, that is exactly backwards from what it should be. If the Rams aren't committed to Fisher, then they had no business hiring him. He has to know he has the full support of the FO for at least four or five years.

Regarding the DC, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If Fisher thinks Williams is the best guy for the job, then it's in his (and the Rams') best interest to try to get him back next year. If Goodell decides to never let him back in, then yeah, you have to get a DC. But it's not like there are hundreds of viable candidates out there -- there is only a handful at most. Who would you have hired this year if given the opportunity? If that guy wasn't available, then you're still stuck -- but you're no worse off than the Rams are in the current situation.

Good luck this weekend. (oops -- next weekend.)
    Last edited by BlueTalon; -11-04-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: forgot about the bye
    thoey, Rambos and bradwill like this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post

With all due respect, I believe you are wrong on a couple of points.

When the Rams hired a new coach and a new GM, they were basically wiping the slate clean and starting fresh. Not a bad strategy, given the Rams' recent history. The Rams got the best guy available for head coach, and I believe it was an excellent move.

He should hold the job in confidence with full support of the organization, until such time as he proves he can't handle it (which may never happen). Thinking in terms of Fisher earning a year, but not three, implies his job is not secure, and he can be yanked at the first sign of a slump. To me, that is exactly backwards from what it should be. If the Rams aren't committed to Fisher, then they had no business hiring him. He has to know he has the full support of the FO for at least four or five years.

Regarding the DC, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If Fisher thinks Williams is the best guy for the job, then it's in his (and the Rams') best interest to try to get him back next year. If Goodell decides to never let him back in, then yeah, you have to get a DC. But it's not like there are hundreds of viable candidates out there -- there is only a handful at most. Who would you have hired this year if given the opportunity? If that guy wasn't available, then you're still stuck -- but you're no worse off than the Rams are in the current situation.

Good luck this weekend. (oops -- next weekend.)
    I think you are putting far too much emphasis on my opinion. Obviously Fisher has a contract for a certain number of years. I apologize for not knowing the exact number of years. I think Stan and management should remain committed and support him throughout as long as he is meeting their expectations.

My opinion was based on personal feelings and expectations. Not sure how I can be wrong in that manner. But I'm not surprised you approach it from that angle since it happens often on message boards.

I'll support the HC as long as I feel he is getting the players to play at a high level. If that, along with success, is evident then I will generally feel he has "earned" another year. But if he starts to lose the players and success suffers then I'm going to waiver on whether I think he's earned another year.

Looks like we have about the same thoughts on the DC. Although you state it's not a worry whereas I see it as a concern. I guess it's easy for you to feel that way considering your team has a viable DC in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast