Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Was It Just Me....

....or did it look like the offense REALLY began to click when Faulk got a lot of touches? He just seemed to kick things up a notch and almost made it appear that the GSOT was back in business. His presence had the Titan defense off balance and on their heels. He still can do so much, especially in the red zone and in the flat, I for one would really like to see his role increased just a bit. It was disappointing, at least to me, to see him get only one touch after his fumble midway through the third quarter.

viper is online now Registered User

Re: Was It Just Me....

Good post, mike. There's no question that Marshall provided a much needed spark. He looked good! I agree he certainly should play a bigger role. His play did remind me of just how good he truly is. Like others have posted before, I'd like to see him and Jackson in the backfield together more often. Talk about keeping defenses guessing!

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Marshall was pulled after the fumble which i thought was ludicris!............MM needs to keep MF in as a receiver to the least!.................Great out of the backfield and i really do think that he is as good as any receiver we have when it comes to the hands part of it! He would be a great 4th receiver!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Having Marshall in there is what helps Martz look like a genius. (not that he has in a long time!) Because otherwise, there is your standard running plays with Jackson, and your standard passing plays with Bruce, Holt, and Curtis.

If that is the offense, then you're just like everyone else. Almost every team has their main running back, 2 excellent receivers and usually a 3rd that is somewhat of a threat.

So what makes any one team different? Some teams have a good TE to mix things up. Some team's have a running back that is good at receiving. Some team's QB can run to keep defenses guessing.

The X factor for the rams is still Marshall Faulk and Martz just doesn't look at smart without him in there. It just seems more predictable.

that can be said for any coach who has a brilliant player. but then, Martz haters will use it as just another thing to pound on the Head Coach of the Rams.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Alex Barron, came in also at that time and just shut down the pass rush.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Alex Barron, came in also at that time and just shut down the pass rush.
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Faulk's good vintage-looking performances came before Barron was put into the game.

Barron replaced Saipaia after Bulger got sideswiped and lost the ball, which resulted in a Titans touchdown about three minutes before the fourth quarter began. But it was in the second quarter where Faulk scored on the TD pass, and early in the third when he tore it up on the ground on another Rams TD drive. After Barron entered the game, Faulk actually only touched the ball once.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

You are right about Faulk doing it before Barron came in.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -09-27-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Barron’s first drive gave Rams’ fans a glimpse of what this offense could be. He instantly solidified the line, completely dominating Vanden Bosch on the second play of the drive that resulted in an 11-yard completion to Torry Holt.
    It was no coincidence that the drive became vintage Rams, ending in a 10-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Curtis on a drive that went 74 yards on six plays in just two minutes and 43 seconds.
    My bad i thought it was about the same time, when it all came together.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Marshall looked absolutely electric coming out of the backfield. He got to lose that extra "cushion" of fat this offseason, and I believe this is his first season he's played without prior knee surgery/cleanup for a few years. He's a lot quicker, and I'm among the crowd that thinks he should get more touches.

As this offense and its line evolves into a power-running off-tackle attack, Marshall will be less effective in the running game [give Steven 20-25+], but he can be lethal in the passing game, especially in the red zone like many of you mentioned. And the great thing is, he can seem to disappear among the lineup, with defenses fearing Holt and the WR corps, as well as the "new kid" Steven Jackson... it should create nice matchups.

100% in agreement on Faulk being the X-Factor.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -09-27-2005 at 11:31 PM.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I was back and forth between so many games thanks to Sunday ticket that I may be a little off here, but it seemed to me that Jackson got back in the game from his "injury" pretty quickly once Marshall started producing. It was too bad that he had that fumble but all in all he looked like the old Marshall.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Allright Mok, I'll open the door for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mok
    it seemed to me that Jackson got back in the game from his "injury" pretty quickly once Marshall started producing.
    Are you saying that Jackson's return was part of a conspiracy against Faulk?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BigGameHolt is offline Registered User

I agree, Martz should mix it up a little and have Faulk as a backup more often. I know Jackson is younger and is amazing , but having Faulk to get some touches would be a good strategy for us. He still is Marshall Faulk, and is still one of the best RB who catches balls in the flats, if not the best.
    :clanram: BIG GAME Holt

moklerman is offline Registered User

Are you saying that Jackson's return was part of a conspiracy against Faulk?
    Not at all, I'm saying that it's funny to me how a players injury is directly proportional to the success of their backup(s).

Willie Parker is a good example, too. After he tore it up in week 1, Bettis and Staley both said that they would be ready for week 2. Cowher hasn't let them come back just yet, but they were making public statements that they would be ready.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Thank goodness Marshall knows his body better than any of us. He knows he can't do it every game anymore, that's why he WENT to Martz and suggested that SJ take over and allow him to be the third down back.

Marshall could do it when called upon, but his body couldn't take it over the whole course of a season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast