Molotov is offline Registered User

Is it just me, or is Jim Thomas...

Is it just me, or is Jim Thomas the most pessimistic writer on the face of the planet? It's great that he isn't a Ram homer, but his negativity is really deflating.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Is it just me, or is Jim Thomas...

How exactly is he overly pessimistic? Examples please.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'd say either 1) His pessimism is justified or 2) he just takes a more realistic view than the typical Rams fan.

Personally I prefer it to the blind optimism of a lot of hometown writers. Most notably Chicago and their ridiculous thoughts that every Chicago team will win the championship every year and is chock full of all-stars that every team drools over from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    How exactly is he overly pessimistic? Examples please.
    Just read through his Tuesday chats. It's all over the place. Best example: someone pointed out that the Rams have a reasonable chance of being 4-4 at the break. Jim's reply? "Let's see them get a 2nd win first." That is a cynical, negative response that is well below my expectations of a professional writer. Why not address the possibility, game by game, of the Rams actually getting to 4-4? I think he's a sour puss. Wouldn't want him at my party, that's for sure.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The Rams might be 4-4 at the break, asking for proof of improvement isn't pessimistic, it's realistic. Prior to the season he predicted 4 wins for the entire season and did a breakdown of the games. In the same post he said that he predicted the Rams to be 1-2 at this point and said he predicted a win over the Cardinals and a loss against the Redskins before the season started. Should he really re-evaluate his game predictions each week?

This reminds me of the last time the Blues made the playoffs. Half way through the first round people were wondering who the Blues would meet in the second round and Bernie said "let's wait and see if they can get through the first round". People considered that negative at the time. Of course they didn't make it out of the first round but I guess that's not important.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I find that beat writers for teams often downplay things in a misguided attempt to temper fans' expectations.

For example, most Miami Heat fans (such as myself) are fairly optimistic about the team's prospects this year. Nonetheless, Ira Winderman, a long time Heat writer, often downplays the positive side and focuses on potential problems.

It would be nice if writers would have more faith in their readers and show a willingness to share in the optimism, even if they do so with their feet planted firmly on the ground.

richtree is offline Registered User

There's no conflict with agreement.

You didn't listen to Howard Stern because you agree with him...

....juss sayin'....

ram3057 is offline Registered User

I guess you can say that criticism and negativity are closely related, but they really are two different things....
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I prefer realistic opinions over the "HOMER" type stuff.

The sports writers and reporters that cover the Boston teams make me sick!

In my book, a comment like "Maybe we should see if they can get win No. 2 first" qualifies as blatant negativity rather than just being realistic. Sure, its a realistic expectation to win 2 games before you can win 4, but he adds nothing to the conversation other than cynical negativity by writing that. I see it all the time with Thomas.

It's great that he isn't a homer, but I think he's gone cynical on us, which is even worse in my opinion.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm a guy who likes to temper his expectations with a fair amount of realism, so I don't find Thomas particularly negative or pessimistic. I tend to agree with Berg in that I'd rather have a guy who is realistic in his opinion to a painful extent than someone who is just blindly optimistic all the time.

Regarding the comment in question, the Rams haven't been able to win four games in a whole season for the last three years, let alone by the bye week. So I think it's a fair point to propose a "wait and see" approach to find out which Rams team is going to show up over the next week or two - the one that found a way to lose very winnable games against Arizona and Oakland, or the one that came out hot and finished strong against the Redskins.

You also have to keep in mind when it comes to the chats that he's often times not giving very detailed, in-depth answers. It's not the format for it. Sometimes he's able to string some sentences together for a response, but a lot of times you get a one-line answer. So this isn't exactly the platform where I would expect any writer to go game by game and analyze the possibility of the Rams going 3-2 over the next five weeks.

Plus, if he was just completely negative about the team, I wouldn't expect him to defend some of their personnel decisions like he did in answering the second question of the chat.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Beat writers job is not to put out opinions, that's what they pay Burwell and Bernie to do at the Post. Beat writers, and Jim is among the best ever, and old school newspaperman he is, are there to report what IS happening and not spread rumors. It's a hard job, especially when fans do not understand the job differences in the media anymore.
    Barry Waller

Beat writers can certainly put out opinions. He does that all the time. That's not the issue. Furthermore, there seems to be a lot he doesn't know for a guy who hangs at the training facility. I get more Ram info from USA Today, and much more timely as well.

Truth is offline Registered User

I don't think the comment about winning a 2nd game is negative. Let's be honest, the Rams haven't exactly been the model of consistency the past few seasons. We've stayed close in our losses. However, they were still losses. We still make WAY too many mistakes on both sides of the ball.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!