RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Just One Man's Opinion

I have waited a few weeks to assess the past season before sitting down to write my thoughts. I thought the extra time would allow me to examine in more detail what the state of the Rams really is.

What I found amazed me. Let's start with the QB.

Marc was in a solid third place in the league in passing yards. 4301 for the season. I wonder how many more yards he would have had if our WR's would have held onto a few more balls instead of dropping them.
    He had a 62.9% completion percentage. Consider that this season, he deliberately threw away a lot of balls to prevent interceptions when he had no options. Speaking of INT's, there was only 8. No other QB in the NFL who played all 16 games did better. All told, he had a 92.9 rating for the season.

QB is one spot we don't need to worry about.

As for our RB, 1528 rushing yards. 806 Recieving yards. Enough said.

The WR position didn't do too badly, either. Sure, we saw a lot of incomplete passes due to dropped balls, but did you realize that Torry Holt had more yards this year than Steve Smith and T.O.? Isaac Bruce was #12 on the list. We're doing OK there, too.

Our TE position showed no spectacular progress this season, so I won't elaborate.

When it comes to our offensive line, much can be said, and most of it negative. It has been a few years since a solid front has been assembled on the line. At one time, the term "Donut Brothers" referred to the size of our Center and Right Guard. For the past few years, it referred more to the holes found in the O-line.

Face it, things aren't rosy for the o-line.

Pace, still one of the best LT's in the NFL, is getting older. How many more seasons can we count on him holing down the left side? While finding a replacement for him isn't a priority right now, perhaps it is time for the front office to be looking at some of the college underclassmen to see if, in two or three years, there is a tackle we could bring on board to begin the 'grooming' process. Pace will be 32 this year. By 2010, we will be needing someone who can step in.

On the other side, we have Mr. Penalty, also known as Alex Barron. This is one guy I can't figure out. He's got the size, the speed, the talent, and one of the greatest teammates to tutor him, yet he really hasn't progressed as much as one would expect. I hope Linehan can figure out what it takes to kick him in gear.

When I continue this, I'll look at the rest of the offense. For now, this should give you food for thought.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: Just One Man's Opinion

I love Marc Bulger, but what he needs to do is concentrate on the intangibles (scoring in the 'red zone', for example, too many times the Rams had to settle for FG's after failed red zone play).

The Quarterback Position is about leadership.
    The question is: Can Marc Bulger lead the Rams to the promise land?
    His QB rating and passing yardage are nice stats, but success starts with a 'W'.
    Peyton Manning has gotten the monkey off his back, while Marc Bulger is still carrying 'King Kong'.

Steven Jackson really came into his own this year.
    My opinion of him this year went from detest to delight.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Jackson leads the league in rushing in 2007.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if Jackson leads the league in rushing in 2007.
    With the Rams style of offense I would be surprised, but not if he led in total yards from scrimmage being that he not only runs the ball but receives out of the backfield.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Yodude is offline Registered User

I love Marc Bulger, but what he needs to do is concentrate on the intangibles (scoring in the 'red zone', for example,
    Not sure what that means exactly....scoring is about as tangible as you can get. As far as actual "intangibles" as you call them, Bulger did just that when he spoke up in public about the slackers on the team not doing their part. For a guy who typically leads by example instead of being vocal, that was huge.

All in all, Bulger had a fantastic year when you consider that he played for a new head coach who's offensive philosophy is radically different from what Bulger has been used to his entire career as a starter.

While his play didn't necessarily translate into as many wins as we may have hoped for...I think Bulger grew more this year as a starter than during any other season he has played thus far.

For someone who "loves Marc Bulger".. your assessment of his season is off base.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I have stood by my milque toast opinion of Bulger.

Yes, he has GREAT STATS, but as I have steadfastly stated, stats can be quite misleading.

I believe that Bulger is one of the best QB's in the NFL right now but I have not grown to trust him to get us deep into the playoffs. He seems to have a slight touch of the Jimmy (Nervous Feet) Everett syndrome at times. But then getting hit much too often by the monsters employed in the NFL could do that to one.

I hope I am proved wrong, and the sooner the better.

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -02-12-2007 at 02:48 AM.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I have stood by my milque toast opinion of Bulger.

Yes, he has GREAT STATS, but as I have steadfastly stated, stats can be quite misleading.

I believe that Bulger is one of the best QB's in the NFL right now but I have not grown to trust him to get us deep into the playoffs. He seems to have a slight touch of the Jimmy (Nervous Feet) Everett syndrome at times. But then getting hit much too often by the monsters employed in the NFL could do that to one.

I hope I am proved wrong, and the sooner the better.

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    Ah let see we could have:

Romo
    Grossman
    Alex Smith
    Kitna
    Brad Johnson
    Matt Hasselback
    Leinart
    Plummer
    Pennington
    Losman
    McNair
    Delhomme
    Carr
    Vick
    Frye
    Harrington
    Brunell
    Garard
    Young
    Eli Manning

So, my point is it could be a whole heck of alot worse.

Bulger is the man!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Nervous feet Everett syndrome?

Prove wrong........ Start out by proving this. What are you talking about??? I've seen Bulger many, many, and many more times stay in the pocket take a big hit and still throw a strike.

So I have no clue what your talking about. Review some tape before you make a vague statement like that.

Bulger should get credit for his warrior attitude especially from us Rams fans.

GO RAMS
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -02-12-2007 at 10:31 AM.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Bulger regulary takes a beating but always comes back for more.He stand's in to the very last moment to give a receiver the chance to get open knowing that he is likely to get pummelled to the ground.He deserves immense credit for that,but if we are going to improve next season we have to protect him much better by at least cutting last years 49 sacks in about half.As the CBS announcers said at the Pro-Bowl,Marc Bulger throws a lovely ball and leads his receivers.If we protect him better he will play even better and give him a better chance at staying healthy which if we want to be successful is a must...:l

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I seem to be misunderstood.. again. I thought it only happened at home.

I have said I would not get rid of him, just did not put that into this thread. I agree he stands in there and takes the hits. I said he has a SLIGHT touch of the Jimmy Everett syndrome. I was at a game where he got anxious and (inside the red zone) threw consecutive balls into to the turf behind open receivers.

I am sorry I put away my rose colored glasses and see things as they are.

Bulger is a Pro-Bowl QB and has much potential and I am willing to stand by him. There are few QB's which have playe din the NFl who have been considered very good or great without a SB ring on their finger and I think Bulger is on that list. A ring would cinch it.

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

The Rams were actually fairly decent in the red zone this year. Alot of our previous red zone problems, I think, could of been because of our previous head coach. Running the ball in the red zone is very important. That is something that I thought Mike Martz never fully grasped.