Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Just wanted to explain my latest column

BernieM is offline Registered User

Just wanted to explain my latest column

If you've been over to the PD, you may have noticed a new column in which I criticize Stan Kroenke for not expressing a long-term commitment to St. Louis.

You might ask, "why write this type of negative column now... right after Kroenke pulled off a great move by winning the Jeff Fisher sweepstakes?"

Well, its simple.

I don't have the Rams' interests at heart. I'm all about drawing attention to the PD, and that requires controversy.

You might not have noticed, but this is the second time I've done this recently. While Jeff Fisher was making his decision, I made a point of suggesting that the uncertainty surrounding the Rams' future in St. Louis would prompt Fisher to go to Miami. It was great how the national media, mostly through Twitter, then attributed this to Fisher, even though I never actually heard him say anything on the subject.

So, remember... I don't care about the Rams. I want there to be turmoil, controversy and acrimony. That is what feeds ME!!!

Well, that and Denny's.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Re: Just wanted to explain my latest column

Bernie, please put a larger version of your profile pic in gallery. I really want to creat 8' x "10 of you for my desk at work!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

A businessman's primary objective is to make money. While sports teams are a unique business in which fan loyalty and the heart of a city are in play, they are still businesses. I am very much against "carpetbagging" franchises- owners who are drawing a profit and have a fiercely loyal fan base yet still abandon supportive cities for the promise of even MORE wealth- i.e. Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Colts. But if an owner cannot make money, he has every right to look at other cities.

Bernie's assertion that Stan Kroenke somehow owes anyone a firm promise or commitment to St. Louis beyond what he's already stated on record is ludicrous. Stan has Missouri roots. He likes the city. He's said he's committed to St. Louis. To think that Stan is going to say "Under no circumstances will I leave" or "There is no way I'm moving to city A,B or C" is foolish. He is not going to jeopardize his negotiating power with such statements, nor is he 100% certain of how things will play out.

The CVC will be meeting with Rams officials by the end of the month to discuss stadium plans. It is no secret that the Dome is in need of refurbishment and renovations despite being less than 20 years old. I would think a clearer picture will emerge in a relatively short period of time as to the Rams' long term plans. Anyone who thinks the Rams "aren't going anywhere" are naive and by the same token those who feel their departure is "a foregone conclusion" are foolish also.

Let's hope a winning product is put on the field this year. THAT will go a long way in determining the city's willingness to pony up.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BernieM View Post
    If you've been over to the PD, you may have noticed a new column in which I criticize Stan Kroenke for not expressing a long-term commitment to St. Louis.

You might ask, "why write this type of negative column now... right after Kroenke pulled off a great move by winning the Jeff Fisher sweepstakes?"

Well, its simple.

I don't have the Rams' interests at heart. I'm all about drawing attention to the PD, and that requires controversy.

You might not have noticed, but this is the second time I've done this recently. While Jeff Fisher was making his decision, I made a point of suggesting that the uncertainty surrounding the Rams' future in St. Louis would prompt Fisher to go to Miami. It was great how the national media, mostly through Twitter, then attributed this to Fisher, even though I never actually heard him say anything on the subject.

So, remember... I don't care about the Rams. I want there to be turmoil, controversy and acrimony. That is what feeds ME!!!

Well, that and Denny's.
    This guy is in dire need of a BM.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Yup when all is said and done this is a business and lots of choices and or decisions are made because of money.We as fans happen to love this game but sometimes forget that its more than a game its a business.With that being said i think Stan isnt going to commit to St Louis until we turn it around and have proof to put on the table that we should stay in St Louis.If we turn it around and start winning soon i have no doubt we will stay in St Louis.But if we still stink a couple years from now Stans hand might be forced to move the team,ultimately the power is in our hands though St Louis can be home to the Rams if we choose to.They need to put a winning product on the field and then the business part comes less into play because the fans in St Louis will support if the team shows up to play on sundays.