Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kansas City Observations

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Kansas City Observations

Just a couple of quick notes from the game today.

Firstly, how about those first two series!? Bradford 8/8, Sims-Walker and Kendricks with TD scores, Jackson with the big run and Gibson and Amendola coming up with some clutch catches on third downs.

After that, with the exception of the drive to end the first half, the offense really sputtered out a little. Bradford can't be blamed entirely for completing just one of his next eight throws (Danario Alexander had a really poor drop and suffered a miscommunication on a perfectly thrown ball the next play), but he didn't look quite as sharp as he did in the first quarter. The INT was a bad read and a bad throw - and a good play by Derrick Johnson, who also had a sack to end a drive.

In general, the protection was much better. Bradford only went down the once, but it was against the blitz. It's a sign that there's still some things to work on for Bradford and the OL when they're put under duress. In the run-game, the OL did a great job of opening holes. Some of the zone-blocking plays were outstanding. Jason Smith made up for a false start by absolutely flattening a defender on a big run by Cadillac Williams.

At WR, I think that there was finally some separation today: Amendola, Sims-Walker and Gibson all came up big on the beginning drives. Salas looked sharp running routes and finished with a couple of catches. Gilyard did a nice job as well, coming up with three catches late in the game. I don't think I remember Austin Pettis' name being called once, and the only plays that stood out by Danario Alexander were his drop and the aforementioned miscommunication that almost led to a Brandon Flowers INT. Avery came up with a couple of nice athletic grabs as well. If cuts were tomorrow, I think we'd be keeping seven, and Alexander would be the odd-man out.

Keep an eye on WR Dominique Curry as a roster sleeper. He has been doing a fantastic job on punt coverage and nearly blocked Dustin Colquitt (who had an outstanding game for KC) a couple of times.

Defensively, we had a big turnaround. Guys were swarming to the ball, and Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones were held to a cumulative eight yards. The front four had a wonderful day, putting so much pressure on OL Tony Richardson that he was flagged for holding three times. In addition, Hall got a sack and it was great to see Robert Quinn make that fantastic move to get one of his own.

Poppinga and Leber really stood out on a couple of plays and they look to be significant upgrades over our guys last season. Could Nail Diggs be on the roster bubble?

I didn't get much of a look-in at the secondary, but it was nice to see Darian Stewart get the start with the 1's. For the most part he looked sharp and he played well into the third quarter. Jermale Hines also got some time with the first unit, which was a welcome surprise. Looks like we'll have some healthy competition at Safety between Hines, Stewart and Craig Dahl.

All in all, a really solid performance, especially on defense, and for two dominant series on offense. There are obviously still some things to work on, but it's a drastic improvement after we were whipped by Tennessee on both sides of the ball.

Go Rams!
    Nick likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Kansas City Observations

Not really impressed after those two drives by Bradford, slouch mode seemed to kick in after going 8/8. I really hope Spags is more than capable of keeping these guys disciplined on all 4 quarters.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

3-0 not bad, if it were reg season. anyways congrats Rams governor's cup winners
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

CryDickCry is offline Registered User

It's not a big deal. Teams tend to play relaxed at times during the preseason.
    We have a real test out of the gate in week one, so we'll know really quickly what this team is made of.

Keenum is offline Registered User

So the O-line looked good run-blocking tonight then? I was only able to keep up with stats tonight and the stats at least looked like things were going well overall.

The O-line was my #1 concern tonight. Glad to hear they played well.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    So the O-line looked good run-blocking tonight then? I was only able to keep up with stats tonight and the stats at least looked like things were going well overall.

The O-line was my #1 concern tonight. Glad to hear they played well.
    They did indeed. It was good to see such commitment to the run game by McD and co. Close to 25 carries through one half of football.

Also, WHAT ABOUT the blocked FG by Quinn! Forgot to mention that one above. Great showing by the young Ram today.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    WHAT ABOUT the blocked FG by Quinn! Forgot to mention that one above. Great showing by the young Ram today.
    I also saw Dominique Curry went really close to blocking a punt, he might make the roster for special team purposes. This guy just goes all out to blocking a kick.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The first 7 plays were runs, which took them into KC territory. Gotta love that. "Pass happy" McDaniels will not be predictable, one way or the other. Quinn made himself known - he seems to be getting comfortable and was making plays like a 1st rounder should. I'm glad they can ease Quinn into the lineup instead of throwing him into the fire right away.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Quinn also had a sack on a play on which he was held and two additional qb pressures. He looks like the real deal. Pettis fair caught one punt late in the fourth quarter, no balls were thrown to him. Salas is not getting cut and he is not going onto the practice squad either. He looked good and we didnt use a 4th round pick on him to cut him (or expose him) after three weeks as a professional. Pettis is a tricky situation, given that he was a 3rd round pick, but has shown absolutely nothing in preseason. I still think he makes the team. I am inclined to agree that we keep 7 and dx is the odd man out.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Quinn also had a sack on a play on which he was held and two additional qb pressures. He looks like the real deal. Pettis fair caught one punt late in the fourth quarter, no balls were thrown to him. Salas is not getting cut and he is not going onto the practice squad either. He looked good and we didnt use a 4th round pick on him to cut him (or expose him) after three weeks as a professional. Pettis is a tricky situation, given that he was a 3rd round pick, but has shown absolutely nothing in preseason. I still think he makes the team. I am inclined to agree that we keep 7 and dx is the odd man out.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Completely agree. Salas seems like a gamer who is probably close to his ceiling - what you see is what you get. Tough and reliable. They probably took Pettis higher in the draft because he has more potential, once he's been coached up. Good reach with hands like glue. Sadly, DX's knees will always be an issue, so he's probably out. Just my guess.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

A very reassuring turnaround in the two biggest problem areas last week; the OL and rushing defense.

Interesting to see SJ with his dreads tucked into his jersey. A new streamlined Beast for 2011? SJ looked sharp & the OL blocked well. Even a couple of decent screens in there. Cadillac looked very good as well. Thought he was supposed to have lost his speed. Very elusive & followed his blocks well. The Rams had 72 yds rushing in the 1st Q.Nine first downs and held the ball for all but 2:47 of the first fifteen minutes & scored two TDs. Not too shabby.

The D was sprinkled with #2s in the late 2nd & 3rd Q but continued to play well.I think KC had 14 rush yds at the half.35 after 3 quarters. Nuff said. Bartell and Mikell really stepped up their game in run support & laid some wood.Lots of good DL pressure all over the line. Leber & poppinga didn't particularly stand out but they meshed well with Lau,imo, at first viewing. Very nice RZ stand after Sam's bonehead INT.

The first TD to MSW( looked a little gimpy at halftime. Only noticeable injury except nasty leg knock to Dinkins in the pile) looked scary easy & Gibson's YAC kept the largely SJ-powered drive alive earlier. I don't think it was so much the Rams overall flattening out- although KC did get some pressure- as the later pairing of Avery and DX at WR. Avery looked better than DX but that's not sayin' much.Gilyard did ok,imo, but had a drive-killer drop; tough catch but ...Salas looks strong after the catch. A power surge killed coverage during the second TD but I don't remember a lot of TE action at all. McD is either keeping it under wraps or they just were well covered most of the time.

Either KC has the worst ST line or The Rams are gonna block a lot of kicks. Quinn put the icing on a very nice performance with that FG block at the end & the poor RT for KC is going to have Long & Sims nightmares for a while.

Unless some serious injury news emerges, I think that was a solid dress rehearsal, especially on the road vs a solid opponent. Not sure that anyone ran away with the WR spots but Pettis and DX didn't help their cause. Jabara Williams may beat out Diles as well.Not impressed by either Muir or Scott.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-27-2011 at 06:19 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Salas played well enough for to keep him on the roster, he looked sure handed and picked up a few first downs

What wasn't mentioned in your report was about Mardy Gilyard. While he did have some nice catches, he also dropped a pass that he got both hands on (even though it was behind him) for what would have been a key third down conversion. Instead it was almost picked off. Also, i don't know if he was instructed not to take fair catches on the punts, but he was tackled almost immediately every time. For me thats way too dangerous of a position to be putting yourself in

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

everyone has summed up how i feel really. the regular season can`t come quick enough..the mighty Quinn looked great and may end up even taking plays off Long aswell as Hall.

macrammer is offline Registered User

We continue to make progress and I am excited about the prospects of a fundamentally sound football team this year. With a rough opening schedule, will be very interesting to see how Rams fare. Not the pushover in years past!
    live4ramin likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I was only able to watch the first half of the game - rest of it is waiting for me on DVR - but I think you summed it up very well, Bar-bq.

The first two series were magic. The Rams pounded the rock with effective results and reaped the benefits on play-action, where Sam displayed pinpoint accuracy. Gibson's catch on third and long was great, made even better by his ability to turn upfield and get just enough yardage for the first down. I like what I'm seeing out of him this pre-season; it appears he's corrected some of the issues he had last year, which is great. The play fake that set up the MSW touchdown catch was brilliant.

After those drives, it seemed like things went a little down hill. The interception to Derrick Johnson was awful in every sense of the word, and it looked like after that, the pressure started to heat up and Sam was in duress more than he had been earlier. I don't know if the Chiefs turned it up a notch or if the quick start made the Rams a bit complacent, but that was a little disappointing to see.

I thought Steven Jackson looked SHARP. There were still some moments where I would have liked to see him take the handoff and just continue striding forward, but I thought he picked his holes pretty well, bounced outside when he needed to and knew he could get yards, and lowered the shoulder to fight for yards after contact. He looked like he was on a mission this week, almost a complete 180 from last week.

It sounds as if the WR battle is starting to solidify, and I think you've made good observations on that front. It looks like Sims-Walker, Gibson, and Amendola are locked in as the top three. It was good to see Sims-Walker get into the end zone, wish he would have been targeted more but that's a minor nitpick. Gibson and Amendola looked like they were in mid-season form. I'll keep your observations about the depth guys in mind as I catch the second half at some point, but last night's game would have been where you want these guys to come out and battle. Sounds like Salas stepped up, whereas DX might have staggered a bit.

I was pretty impressed by what I saw from the first team defense. They were much more active than last week, loved the pressure that the Rams were able to get on Cassel. Chris Long doesn't appear on the stat sheet, but I remember him being pretty active in pressuring Cassel and getting some penetration. Glad to hear Quinn got involved as well. Sounds like Poppinga and Leber made a good impression as the starters this week; I had my doubts about Poppinga coming off of the injury, so I'm glad to hear he's looking good. From what I saw, our secondary looked very physical out there. Mikell had a couple of nice hits, as did Fletcher and Bartell. I didn't catch much of Stewart, but I'm glad to hear he was holding his own.

Good stuff, especially considering it was the third game and the closest to the dress rehearsal! This was definitely a big step in the right direction after some of the concerning things that crept up in the second game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast