Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keenan Burton

longfan is offline Registered User

Re: Keenan Burton

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Gah, for the millionth time, Burton is NOT a "possession type" receiver. He would likely been a late 1st rounder/2nd round pick had he not had an injury riddled senior season at Kentucky. Go look at his films on youtube. Burton has tremendous talent, just needs to put more time in the filmroom to master the WCO ...

See the first catch he made against the Lions with the spin out for big YAC. Not the type of play a "possession" receiver makes ...

He's made that exact play three times this year ...

He's in the poor man's Isaac Bruce mold. He will be a good player here. On pace for 50-60 grabs ....

i agree 100% .. i would agree more than that if i could...

Burton lacks for nothing.. good size, good speed, good hands... and most importantly, he's a hard worker..

we are lucky to have him here..

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Is being a possession receiver considered a negative? TJ Houshmandzadeh is a possession receiver and if Burton can have a career like his, I would think most would consider that a successful career.

How is Bruce (for the last 6-8 years) not a possession receiver in your mind?

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

I've always liked Burton.. And when he was drafted even mentioned at the time that this kid would fly under the radar for a year or two before emerging as a 'Bruce Clone'..

If you notice he is always one of the first to help pick up a team mate off the floor, and get involved. Excellent team guy I reckon, and his skills should only keep on improving. Who says he can't be a number 1 receiver? Was Chris Carter ever a burner? Nope, just had good smarts.

Keenan Burton has the world at his feet if he wants it.... AND if he gets the service.

Avery will be ok, he was low confidence this year, with a few poor games under his belt and high expectations. I can see him flowering with more experience.

Personally, I don't think Avery is suited to WCO. WCO doesn't really utilise deep threat speed (Avery) I think by his very nture and style Burton is the better fit for the WCO. They just need to incorporate some plays that can take advantage of Avery's speed a bit more.

Are teams keying on Avery more so than Burton?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I think it has become obvious to the coaching staff that Avery is a high maintenance drama queen. His James Brown act has gotten tiresome.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post

Are teams keying on Avery more so than Burton?
    I don't believe so. I think it's that Avery missed almost all of camp, was injured to start the season (still is banged up) and just got WAY behind everyone else in learning the new system. People need to remember it's only his second year in the league and with a new system, missing all of camp is a major development problem.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think he meant number 1 receiver at the moment, which, with Avery's inconsistency, Burton definitely could be. However i agree with you assessment that Burton should really be no more than the number three possibly the number 4. I do see him as a Ricky Proehl type in thr future.
    Probably, but I think that just brings me back to my middle statement - Keenan Burton being the #1 guy on this team is as clear a case as any to the weaknesses of this group of receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    I think it has become obvious to the coaching staff that Avery is a high maintenance drama queen. His James Brown act has gotten tiresome.
    Interesting. I know fans soured on Avery because of the touchdown dance against Minnesota, but one of the main reasons he was drafted over other receivers in that class was because of his character and work ethic. We obviously don't know for certain, but I doubt the coaches would agree with you that Avery is high maintenance or a drama queen.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I don't believe so. I think it's that Avery missed almost all of camp, was injured to start the season (still is banged up) and just got WAY behind everyone else in learning the new system. People need to remember it's only his second year in the league and with a new system, missing all of camp is a major development problem.
    Great point. It probably doesn't help Avery that one of his best assets is his ability to stretch the field, but this offensive system does not seem to have many deep routes in it.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    You have drawn that conclusion from what? One touchdown dance? How does that suggest high maintenance? How does that suggest he is a drama queen?

Strange how Donnie Avery gets criticised from celebrating a TD with a dance (which he always does), and a lot of people were annoyed he seemingly pushed a fellow Ram away to do it. But no one mentions that fact that Steven Jackson celebrated his TD with his regular "dice throwing" celebration, and also stopped players celebrating with him so he could do it.

So what is the difference? Why does one player get criticised and the other doesnt? I think people are being overly harsh on Avery.

longfan is offline Registered User

You have drawn that conclusion from what? One touchdown dance? How does that suggest high maintenance? How does that suggest he is a drama queen?

Strange how Donnie Avery gets criticised from celebrating a TD with a dance (which he always does), and a lot of people were annoyed he seemingly pushed a fellow Ram away to do it. But no one mentions that fact that Steven Jackson celebrated his TD with his regular "dice throwing" celebration, and also stopped players celebrating with him so he could do it.

So what is the difference? Why does one player get criticised and the other doesnt? I think people are being overly harsh on Avery.

not that I'm taking a side on this.. but your question begs the obvious answer be given...

Avery has proven nothing to anyone... he is failing to do his job ... he has ZERO credibility... he needs to save his dances till he has done something to dance about..

SJ has proven everything to everyone, he has patiently waited till the 8th week to score.. to my knowledge not complained about it and not to mention IT GAVE US THE LEAD!! He is a superstar on a struggling team and staying on message and giving this team a granite foundation to build on..

SJ can roll his dice anytime he likes as far as i'm concerned..

thats how i answer your question..

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longfan View Post
    not that I'm taking a side on this.. but your question begs the obvious answer be given...

Avery has proven nothing to anyone... he is failing to do his job ... he has ZERO credibility... he needs to save his dances till he has done something to dance about..

SJ has proven everything to everyone, he has patiently waited till the 8th week to score.. to my knowledge not complained about it and not to mention IT GAVE US THE LEAD!! He is a superstar on a struggling team and staying on message and giving this team a granite foundation to build on..

i know that, i have nothing against Steven Jackson celebrating, i just never saw why Avery got so much criticism for celebrating actually scoring a TD (a rarity this season). I still dont see anything that suggests Avery is high maintenance

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longfan View Post

I believe when jackson first came to the rams he had a few moments were he used poor choices of words. He was criticised. Avery has never said anything that doesnt represent a team atmoshpere, he did a touchdown dance and celebrated then apologized why is this not good enough compensation. Avery is the only reason that defenses might have to worry about putting 8 men in the box. After the fle flicker play in inndy dont you think that they put a saftey over the top to help cover avery? Or that bob sanders at least gave a second thought or a little hesitation about rushing the LOS. Avery is not a drama queen and is a team player, he will develop into a poor mans desean jackson. In a few more years he will be able to stretch the field just like jackson does and then we will all be praising him. So give him a new year and a new qb to work off of( lets face it marc is getting old and losing arm strength) and see how this plays out.

i know that, i have nothing against Steven Jackson celebrating, i just never saw why Avery got so much criticism for celebrating actually scoring a TD (a rarity this season). I still dont see anything that suggests Avery is high maintenance
    Ditto. Whether he needed to or not, he apologized and everyone has moved on except some fans who want to make an issue out of it. I agree with you 100%, Avery is a solid citizen on this team and the claims of some fans otherwise are just hyperbole.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12