Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Avery and Burton is offline Registered User

Keenan Burton & Company - Discuss

I haven't posted here in a while, and I had another post about Burton last season.

A lot of discussion on that page, a lot of questions that have been answered and some that will be answered this coming season. From that discussion many of you agreed with me that Keenan will become a solid receiver for the Rams, others disagreed and said the kid just doesn't have the skill set for the NFL, nor the health too stay in games.

The simple fact is, what we think doesn't really matter, its the coaches. As of right now, he's doing great in the OTAs. Spagnuolo said he's looking natural in the OTAs, no sign that the injury is bothering him. He also said that Keenan made some nice catches and made great cuts with the burst after that Spags is looking for. Great news for him and well us if he stays solid. He had solid play last year, caught every ball that was catchable, but was overthrown and under thrown alot by our inconsistant QB roster. Sam 'Accurate' Bradford should be a positive influence for Burton and our entire WR roster. I don't want to hear about how all of our WRs are inconsistant on there "routes" because most of the time you can't even see them running the routes. Coaches have had nothing but positive things about Burton and alot of our WR roster so I'm excited for this season. Also lets not forget about our new OL and are always beloved Action Jackson who opens up the field for big play ability.

I'm a big fan of Burton, yes I maybe a little biased towards his play thinking he's is great. However to me he is great, on and off the field, I really hope he can show the team this year what I've seen closely following in his career NCAA and NFL.

I'm pretty close with Keenan as well getting to speak with him on facebook and twitter often, its pretty neat being a fan of someone and being able to connect with them like that.

We have alot of WRs on our roster right now that have all showed flashes of talent at times but nothing has been consistent.

Avery - Shows big play ability, struggled with injuries but was never down for the count. He's working on his hands, and had a great off season building his body bigger and stronger. Hopefully that does not hinder his speed but I believe this will be a big year for him.

Robinson - Shows full health now, we all saw what he can do last year. Definitely a threat for us deep and in the red zone. I'm excited to see what he can do this year as long as he can stay healthy.

Gibson - Had a strong first game with the Rams against New Orleans but then had a very inconsistant rookie season with the rest of the games. Has great hands though and shows big play ability. Although he has struggled in the OTAs thus far. Dislocated finger and a hamstring injury. Hopefully he can overcome the injuries and get back on track.

Foster - Well, we really don't know what he can do... yet. Coach Spags says he's had a very good off season and has talent. So I guess we'll see what happens with him during the Mini-camp, training camp, and preseason.

Amendola - Played very solid with us during his time with the Rams last season, shows more promise as a returner than anything but we need him as that threat. He also showed some good play on the field, could always use that help!

Gilyard - Don't know alot about him, but I hear he is solid when it comes to the return game. He can make plays in College so we'll see how he adjusts to the NFL. I read somewhere that he has been sidelined in camp already so Coach might just be letting him learn first so 2010 might not be a big year for him.

Other rookies, Curry and Macrae have showed some flashes in the Mini camps and OTA's as well. We won't know about them until further into camp so keep an eye out for them.

As far as the whole roster goes. I believe we'll actually keep 6 or 7 receivers on the active roster, last year I believe we did too.

I hope I didn't miss any, these are just the players I know best, and that I believe are the serious competition in our current WR corps.

Let me know all of your thoughts, I know I'm going to get the negatives on my opinions, but thats why there my opinions! I'm open to all discussion, but be easy on me here, we're all on the same team.

Thanks, AJ

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Re: Keenan Burton & Company - Discuss

gilyard wasnt sidelined, he couldnt join the team yet due to his graduation date or something.
    i like burton too but i think he's got a big job on his hands to make the team this year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I appreciate the perspective, but I'm not really sure what anyone has seen in Burton that would cause them to refer to him as great, so far.

He has 38 catches and one touchdown in two years on a team in desperate need for someone to step up at receiver. He lost the starting job to Laurent Robinson last year and then didn't do much to replace Robinson once Laurent was on IR. I feel like he has problems gaining separation as well as getting yards after the catch, but his biggest issue seems to be staying healthy.

Right now, I think he's at best the fourth receiver on this team, and is in no way a lock to make the final roster.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

shower beers is offline Registered User

The problem is, everyone looks good this time of year. These guys are all professional wide receivers. They're going to catch the ball with no pressure on them of being hit, or memorizing a playbook yet. And that's not a shot at Burton, just an observation on OTAs. I can honestly say I have no idea who will make the active roster, and won't be surprised with any choice. Everyone just seems too close, talent wise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dave View Post
    gilyard wasnt sidelined, he couldnt join the team yet due to his graduation date or something.
    i like burton too but i think he's got a big job on his hands to make the team this year.
    Yeah I wasn't sure where I read that, or for what reason. I just read he wasn't participating yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I appreciate the perspective, but I'm not really sure what anyone has seen in Burton that would cause them to refer to him as great, so far.

He has 38 catches and one touchdown in two years on a team in desperate need for someone to step up at receiver. He lost the starting job to Laurent Robinson last year and then didn't do much to replace Robinson once Laurent was on IR. I feel like he has problems gaining separation as well as getting yards after the catch, but his biggest issue seems to be staying healthy.

Right now, I think he's at best the fourth receiver on this team, and is in no way a lock to make the final roster.

Well I mean't he is great to me, I thought I stated that in there.

He hasn't showed greatness to us all on the field (Super star wise) but last year when he was in for Robinson he made really tough catches, caught everything that was catchable but lets face it nobody as a WR for the Rams last year really stood out except for Robinson and we don't even know if he was going to be consistent throughout the year with his injury.

He did struggle some with seperation, but he's getting better at that. Might be one of those 3rd year WR strides? Just one of those things you learn after playing in the NFL and adjusting. Burton is a very hard worker, never gives up so you can bet that even if he doesn't succeed this year, you're going to see his name for his work ethic and awesome leadership in the locker room.

Lets not forget about the inconsistency at QB that we've had, not saying our QBs haven't made great plays but they weren't always accurate. I remember 2 specific plays against the Vikings in the late first quarter, early second where Keenan was running an straight fly route and had the corner beat twice! but Kyle Boller over threw him. Same play again and Kyle under threw him. Would have been a sweet 40+ yard touchdown both times if the ball was too him. Keenan did have the seperation did have great seperation there. Sure thats one instance but I'm positive there is more.

I'm not saying Burton is a #1 WR, but I do believe he can contribute alot to this team. I would say Burton isn't going to be very effective in the #1 WR position nor the #2 WR position because they don't consider him a threat deep or nobody else on the field a threat. Thus putting there best DB on him and possibly even double covering him when all you have his Burton and a banged up Avery with Amendola like last year. But as a #3 with Robinson or Avery or Gibson as the #1 and #2 I believe Burton can be extremely effective. He's great at slant routes, getting first downs and can still go deep if needed. The injury side of things, well nobody can predict those and we know half our roster has a problem with them so I guess we'll have to see how the season goes with all of them.

Okay, thats fair enough I appreciate your comment.

Huh, didn't mean to type that much. Sorry about that.

With Burton being a 4th WR at best, who do you believe will be the starting three, in what order and why?
    Last edited by Avery and Burton; -06-04-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    The problem is, everyone looks good this time of year. These guys are all professional wide receivers. They're going to catch the ball with no pressure on them of being hit, or memorizing a playbook yet. And that's not a shot at Burton, just an observation on OTAs. I can honestly say I have no idea who will make the active roster, and won't be surprised with any choice. Everyone just seems too close, talent wise to me.

Thats a valid point I appreciate your comment. I know its a little early to tell for this season, I just wanted to disucuss a little from what was shown last season coming into this season with his injury healing nicely. Thats very true that the talent seems pretty close, I guess its whoever can step up and make the plays necessary to help the team win ball games and impress the coaches!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I don't have feelings for Burton, on the field, one way or the other simply because I've not seen nearly enough of him do anything.

My concern is will that injury have slowed his development as he has had to rehab to simply get flexibility returned to his knee and up until OTAs, has not apparently had the opportunity to work on things he needs to work on as a young receiver, that is getting seperation and selling his routes.

I'd have to agree with Nick here and say tha I see Burton in danger of making the roster (depending on how many receivers we keep) and not breaking the 4 spot, 3rd spot at the highest. Robinson and Avery or almost a lock to be in front of him and I think Gibson or Gilyard will take the 3rd spot.

But hell, its early and anything can happen. We'll see what he has.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Avery and Burton View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're making with that statement, then. I'm simply saying I haven't seen anything from him that would cause someone to call him great in any aspect of his game so far in his NFL career. Meaning, I haven't seen anything that would make me think, "Okay, I might not agree, but I can see why someone would call him great."

Might be one of those 3rd year WR strides?
    Maybe, but let's keep in mind that he's not going into year three with two full seasons under his belt. He missed ten games in his first two seasons, so that's experience he doesn't yet have. And if he can't stay on the field going forward, it's going to be impossible for him to hit that stride.

With Burton being a 4th WR at best, who do you believe will be the starting three, in what order and why?
    Robinson, Avery, and Gibson. They all showed more in 2009 than Burton did, and I think offer more in terms of skillset and potential. And I don't think it'll be long before Gilyard passes Burton as the #4 guy as well, to be honest with you.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Your not his mother or something are you?

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I thought Burton performed really well for a few games in the midst of all those injuries. He appeared to have built a rapport with Bulger and the two were clicking nicely. Of course now Bulger's gone and Burton has to try and get to know another QB again.

Honestly though, I'd like to see him come in as a substitution player. I really like the look of Robinson, Gibson and Avery as the starters. But Burton has skill and I think he can come in later in the game when guys are gassed and still make an impact because he's a physical receiver who can get some separation on short routes and break a play occasionally.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

JMO but I'd rather have Burton than Avery on this team. Burton has solid hands and was routinely able to find gaps in the zone coverage. He's not a premier WR but will make a long NFL career for himself as a sure handed possession receiver.

He had 17 first downs in 25 catches. Robinson was the only WR more productive. The guy IS MAKING THIS ROSTER. Zero doubt.

First off, here is an article just posted on the St. Louis Rams website, its a good read. Now I'll get to the comments.

In the grand scheme of things, a simple catch and burst of speed by a wide receiver in an organized team activity in early June barely registers on the radar of important moments. But the significance of what one simple grab followed by a sharp cut and a burst of speed during Wednesday’s seven on seven drills meant quite a bit to the career and livelihood of Rams receiver Keenan Burton.
    “I went over and whispered in his ear after seven on seven drills,” Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “He caught a pass and it was a catch and go and it looked real natural and showed no indications to me that he was injured. I went over and nudged him on that because I want him to feel the confidence in himself.”
    The fact that Burton was on the practice field at all Wednesday, let alone the rest of the OTAs, is a bit of a surprise to everyone involved, even Burton himself.
    In the Nov. 15 contest against New Orleans, Burton left the game in the first quarter with a knee injury. It was undoubtedly a serious ailment as Burton was taken from the field on a stretcher.
    When the diagnosis came back as a torn patella tendon in his knee, it was clear that Burton’s second NFL season would end prematurely. The doctors told him it was an eight-month minimum recovery with the possibility of it taking as long as 10 months.
    “They told me before I went in for the surgery that there was no way I’d be back before training camp,” Burton said. “They said training camp is probably my best shot and up to this point I haven’t even missed an OTA.”
    Indeed, Burton was limited to mostly individual work in the team’s OTA on May 18 but since, he’s been a regular participant in all of the drills in each of the team’s six OTAs since that time.
    In most cases, injuries like Burton’s take longer to recover from because of the uncertainty in regaining range of motion in the knee. For a wide receiver, who relies on his knees to make sharp cuts to run routes, it’s possible that full range of motion can never be recovered.
    But for Burton, any fears of long term damage were alleviated much quicker than expected. Within the first two months of his rehab, Burton had regained full flexibility. His doctors told him it would be more like four or five.
    “Some people never get it at all but I was able to get all of mine,” Burton said. “So I was able to start strengthening it and with me being able to strengthen it, it helped me push the progression along.”
    Burton’s elation to be back on the field and working at or near full speed so soon has helped to erase the pain he felt from losing out on almost half of the 2009 season.
    As part of a banged up receiver corps, Burton was beginning to establish his role within the offense when the injury hit.
    In fact, Burton had started each of the previous six games including the New Orleans contest before he was hurt. In those games, he had started to establish himself as a reliable third down target, including a career-best five-catch, 54-yard effort in the win against New Orleans.
    “It was real difficult because before I went down, I was doing really well,” Burton said. “I hadn’t dropped a pass in all the games I had played in. The fact that I was going in, making plays, continuing drives, making first downs and being what the quarterback needed me to be, it was tough. But everything happens for a reason. God has a bigger plan for me and I am just excited for the opportunity to get back at it.”
    Burton is doing his best to take advantage of that opportunity in what has become a crowded competition at wide receiver. For now, Burton is working in where he can with the second unit but is going to be involved in a heated competition for spots on the roster at receiver.
    That competition hasn’t worn on Burton’s constantly positive attitude. Rather, he’s looking at it as a way to get better.
    “Competition breeds success so it’s important to have competition in the receiving corps. I think the good thing about it is that push you get,” Burton said. “It is a competition. Everybody is trying to out do everybody but also helping everybody out.”
    While Burton has clearly been dedicated to getting healthy enough to get back on the field earlier than expected, he’s also been doing some strong work off the field during the offseason.
    Burton and his father Edward, are part of an organization called 1+1=U, which features a mentoring program based out of his hometown of Louisville.
    Upon his first Faith, Family and Football Education Awareness Tour, Burton toured local Louisville schools to help promote education awareness. When that was finished, Burton decided to team up with friend and fellow NFL player Michael Bush to form a scholarship for at risk youth.
    Thus, the Burton-Taylor College and Academic Scholarship (named for his parents) was born. Each year, two students, one female and one male, will be awarded a $1,000 college scholarship.
    But those students won’t be the only ones to receive something. Burton said each student that applies will receive $100 just for taking an interest in expanding their education.
    “There are so many stories out there,” Burton said. “You wouldn’t believe the type of things that some of the kids that apply have been through. From single parent families to being shot. It’s for somebody that might slip through the cracks, somebody that without someone kind of mentoring them might have a hard time.”
    The scholarship was awarded just a few days ago before Burton returned to St. Louis to resume OTAs.
    Burton is continuing to work his way back into complete health so he can continue in his endeavors to help kids explore higher education.
    “It takes a little while,” Spagnuolo said. “For some of these guys that got hurt last year, even though they are out there practicing, this is really still part of their rehab. It’s the best rehab they can get.”
    And though Burton acknowledges he is not yet 100 percent, he is building confidence in his knee with every sharp cut, every caught pass and every big play he makes on the practice field.
    “To a certain extent but I’m still working,” Burton said. “The greatest part about this whole situation is that I am back in six months and it’s supposed to be an eight to 10 month injury. So I get a chance to do some work in OTAs and get my feet wet a little bit. Just the fact that I’m out here, able to do some things before training camp is a major plus for me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not sure what point you're making with that statement, then. I'm simply saying I haven't seen anything from him that would cause someone to call him great in any aspect of his game so far in his NFL career. Meaning, I haven't seen anything that would make me think, "Okay, I might not agree, but I can see why someone would call him great."

Maybe, but let's keep in mind that he's not going into year three with two full seasons under his belt. He missed ten games in his first two seasons, so that's experience he doesn't yet have. And if he can't stay on the field going forward, it's going to be impossible for him to hit that stride.

Robinson, Avery, and Gibson. They all showed more in 2009 than Burton did, and I think offer more in terms of skillset and potential. And I don't think it'll be long before Gilyard passes Burton as the #4 guy as well, to be honest with you.

I appreciate your insight, I guess we'll see what happens. I just see Burton as a very productive part of this offense in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Your not his mother or something are you?

HAHA, no but thats cute. I'm just a big fan of him, asking what others thoughts are being Rams fans, that is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast