MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Keenan Burton is one happy camper !!

Rams receiver Burton is one happy camper
    Former UK star likes helping kids
    By Jason Frakes • jfrakes@courier-journal.com • July 12, 2008

Keenan Burton has yet to play in his first NFL game, but he sounded like a longtime pro while serving as a camp counselor yesterday.

"Good route!"

"Make a move!"

"Come off the ball hard!"

"It's never the quarterback's fault!"

Burton was in town for the Back 2 Basics Football Camp at the Flaget Community Center. The inaugural camp -- for children ages 5-14 -- began Tuesday and will end today.

Burton, a former Manual High School and University of Kentucky player, signed a three-year contract with the St. Louis Rams last week and said working with children the past few days has provided "stress relief."

"I'm reliving my childhood," he said.

Burton will slide back into adulthood when he reports to training camp July 23 at Concordia University in Mequon, Wis. Burton was the Rams' fourth-round pick in April's NFL draft.

The Rams are considered thin at wide receiver, and many expect Burton to compete for the No. 3 spot behind veterans Torry Holt and Drew Bennett. The Rams also drafted a wide receiver in the second round -- Houston's Donnie Avery -- but Burton is confident he can make an impact as a rookie.

"They told me that they think I could be the steal of the draft," Burton said. "They think I can come in and contribute right now. We'll see.

"I want to (contribute), but I haven't played a down in the NFL. I can't come out and say that I'm going to do this or do that. I can say that I'll come out and try my hardest."

Burton had a breakout season as a junior at UK -- 77 catches, 1,036 yards, 12 touchdowns -- but saw his numbers drop (66 catches, 741 yards, nine TDs) in 2007 while battling numerous injuries. That likely hurt Burton's draft status, but Rams coach Scott Linehan remained impressed.

"He had a great junior year," Linehan said on the Rams' Web site. "His senior year wasn't as productive, although he played injured and played through it. So this shows this kid's toughness. I like his ability because he has very good hands but can also stretch the field as well."

Burton was one of several former local high school stars to take part in the Back 2 Basics camp, joining Male products Chris Barclay, Marcus Green, Montrell Jones and Chris Pointer and Shawnee grad Demetrius Forney. Barclay plays for the New Orleans Saints.

About 90 kids signed up for the event, which co-director Jamar Tillman hopes will attract kids from across the United States in years to come. He said he plans to move the event to Papa John's Cardinal Stadium next year and that the addition of a "big-time sponsor" will allow the camp cost to stay at $25 per person "no matter how big it gets."

"It's not so much about football as it is teaching the kids discipline and fundamentals," Tillman said. "We're trying to teach them that before you can be a great athlete, you have to learn how to listen."

Burton said he'll be back next year with more advice.

"When you have guys like this doing something positive in the community, you can't help but to want to come back," Burton said. "They're not getting paid for this; I'm not getting paid for this. It's not about the money. It's about the kids. I feel fortunate to be a part of it."

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Keenan Burton is one happy camper !!

So he signed a three year contract last week. That's good.

Burton sounds nice and grounded at the moment after spending time with some kids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'm really excited about this pick and I hope he can make an impact immediately.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

A lot of this season is going to depend on how Burton and Avery perform. I really hope the Rams knew what they were doing when they drafted them.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    A lot of this season is going to depend on how Burton and Avery perform. I really hope the Rams knew what they were doing when they drafted them.
    Moloch,you are right on the mark with that one,these two guys need to come up big.

Black Hills Ramman is offline Registered User

So... those in the know. what do you think about the potential for the Avery/Burton duo?

Do they have the talent and ability to blossom into legit #1/#2 receivers or are they just another product of hype and wishful thinking?
    BLACK HILLS RAMMAN

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I think guys like Marques Hagans and even Derek Stanley have potential to step up and contribute more this year.