Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Keenan Burton will like be cut next season

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I don't remember Burton ever being called a speedster?
    Beat me to it. Burton is a possession receiver, the speedster is Avery.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree
    You think we are gonna cut the guy we traded Wil Witherspoon for?

I am sure the coaching staff said, "Hey, if we trade for this kid we are probably gonna have to cut someone. Most likely Burton or Amendola".

no?

Since ameondola does all the little things, return game, block., slot out, I feel he will stay.
    Who knows what will happen with Gibson, but he has to get on the field to be evaluated, right? I'm sure the decision makers see something in him and are banking that he'll pan out, but nothing is a given at this point. There have been plenty of WR washouts in the NFL.

I do agree with you that Amendola is a keeper.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-26-2009 at 04:22 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IMO next year we will be looking at
    Definite keepers IM0: Avery, Amendola, Robinson, FA/Draft pick
    Cut or Practice squad: Burton(Ineligible practice squad), Foster, Gibson(haven't seen him)

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

I don't know where you get your info, but nobody, and I mean NOBODY has ever called Keenan Burton a speedster.

He's a possession receiver, nothing more, and that's fine.

I can see from your assumption that Gibson will be a starter next year that you're one of those people who base their "facts" on hype instead of actual production. As I see it right now Gibson has zero catches for zero yards.

I hope Gibson turns out to be really good, but putting him before Robinson, who is probably the best receiver on the team, is just crazy.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think it's a very close contest between most of our receivers - only Avery & Robinson are locks to be on the roster next year and they're also the only two who deserve to be 100% locks IMO.

I'm also not buying into the Gibson hype - I didn't like the trade and I wish we didn't make it. But I'm going to try and stay levelheaded about it and neither hype Gibson as the 2nd coming of Isaac Bruce nor rule him out just because I didn't like the trade. Currently however he is a 6th rounder who's never caught a ball in the league so it's very premature and optimistic to call him a lock for anything a year from now - even on our thin-as-paper WR roster.

I'm also not sold on Amendola yet - I'll admit that he has surprised me as a receiver and played better there than I thought he would. But as a returner he hasn't shown anything above all the other middle-of-the-road returners we have had the past 10 years. He's got 24.3 yards average on kickoffs and 8.1 on punts - that's pretty much what any average receiver in the league gets when you line him up to return and nothing special.

If I had to make a guess I would say it's likely that both Amendola & Burton get another year on our roster - making it 4 relatively sure picks with Avery & Robinson. But I'm not even going to guess beyond that, way too early.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

burton would do well playing inside. he's not a wideout, his route-running just isn't good enough and he isn't a burner. i would rather see him as our 4th receiver instead of amendola, who should mostly be used as a returner with spots here and there in the o.

Avery and Burton is offline Registered User

I'm a huge Burton fan, and I'll agree with you their molar pistol that he is not a burner and definitely does good playing on the inside. He can be dangerous if you don't watch him on a straight out-route though. Like during the Vikings game (I refer to this because it's the only game I've seen televised) He had the CB beat on two plays in a row but the first was overthrown by Boller, and the second was underthrown and batted away... I've never really seen Burton drop a ball thrown to him so I would have safely called that a 40 yard touchdown pass if it was an accurate throw.

He does struggle with route running but I believe he'll improve this more during the offseason (perhaps with some offseason coaching changes too). I like Amendola but he too also has messed up some routes including one that ran into Burton's and ended in an interception during the Vikings game. (I'm not saying Amendola isn't/won't be good just saying he can use work too!)

In response to him being cut this next season? Not likely. He's signed to a three-year deal and not much salary cost the Ram's will keep him until his contract expires. The kid still has great potential still and I want too see if he can show it!

To say he has been here 2 years and shown nothing is quite ignorant to say at this point. His rookie season was mildly product because he had a knee injury and even when he was playing he didn't get much playing time. I believe he wasn't to high up on the depth chart but did manage to make some plays including a 30 yard touchdown against the Niners in week 16.

The biggest concern coming into the 2009 season was "Can he stay healthy?" Well thus far he has. Also has shown consistancy with making 3 - 5 catches per game. It may just be me but I really think he'll open up with the last 9 games and improve his route running... it's amazing what a full season of experience can do for you at the wideout position while staying healthy. Sure he may not be out there scoring touchdowns and putting up 100 yard games but NONE of our receivers are doing that so there is no need to put Burton on the spot there.

Burton so far this season has had 20 receptions for 199 yards. We all know these aren't amazing statistics but statistics you don't see are the first downs he has gotten us! He's kept alot of drives alive for us (Including one on a 3rd & 25 vs the Redskins) that most of the time we don't capitalize on because of penaltys, turnovers, etc... but those are team mental errors that can be fixed! I mean I don't see the "Donnie Avery will likely be cut next season" threads after he fumbles two games in a row and manages to be injured every other game?! He drops balls too, and misses plays! (That wasn't mean't to slam Avery, I am also a big fan of him)... so easy on Burton... atleast for now... he still has time to prove himself.

Burton in the locker room: I haven't heard anything negative said about him by the coaches, infact from what I've read that Spags said is that he is a hard worker and a good leader. Sure that doesn't always win football games but he's still seems like a guy who can prove himself and just might by the end of this season!
    Last edited by Avery and Burton; -10-30-2009 at 04:51 AM.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Wrong, try again. To say they ran the same speed is a joke trying to re-write the history books.

The Rams cut Pisa for nothing. They traded Leonard for a guy, traded HIM and cut his replacement. Why not cut Gibson? They got a 5th for him and saved $5 million in cap space.

You need to re-think your arguments.
    Rams didn't save 5mil in cap space by trading Witherspoon. The cap hit was basically a wash for this year due to his signing bonus that was a 1.8 cap hit. His salary right now is 2.6mil. Next year when Witherspoon was scheduled to make 5mil, his cap figure would have been 6.8mil.

Rams could have simply cut him in the off season if this move was purely financial as there is no financial benefit to have traded him this season.

longfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Avery and Burton View Post
    I'm a huge Burton fan, and I'll agree with you their molar pistol that he is not a burner and definitely does good playing on the inside. He can be dangerous if you don't watch him on a straight out-route though. Like during the Vikings game (I refer to this because it's the only game I've seen televised) He had the CB beat on two plays in a row but the first was overthrown by Boller, and the second was underthrown and batted away... I've never really seen Burton drop a ball thrown to him so I would have safely called that a 40 yard touchdown pass if it was an accurate throw.

He does struggle with route running but I believe he'll improve this more during the offseason (perhaps with some offseason coaching changes too). I like Amendola but he too also has messed up some routes including one that ran into Burton's and ended in an interception during the Vikings game. (I'm not saying Amendola isn't/won't be good just saying he can use work too!)

In response to him being cut this next season? Not likely. He's signed to a three-year deal and not much salary cost the Ram's will keep him until his contract expires. The kid still has great potential still and I want too see if he can show it!

To say he has been here 2 years and shown nothing is quite ignorant to say at this point. His rookie season was mildly product because he had a knee injury and even when he was playing he didn't get much playing time. I believe he wasn't to high up on the depth chart but did manage to make some plays including a 30 yard touchdown against the Niners in week 16.

The biggest concern coming into the 2009 season was "Can he stay healthy?" Well thus far he has. Also has shown consistancy with making 3 - 5 catches per game. It may just be me but I really think he'll open up with the last 9 games and improve his route running... it's amazing what a full season of experience can do for you at the wideout position while staying healthy. Sure he may not be out there scoring touchdowns and putting up 100 yard games but NONE of our receivers are doing that so there is no need to put Burton on the spot there.

Burton so far this season has had 17 receptions for 199 yards. We all know these aren't amazing statistics but statistics you don't see are the first downs he has gotten us! He's kept alot of drives alive for us (Including one on a 3rd & 25 vs the Redskins) that most of the time we don't capitalize on because of penaltys, turnovers, etc... but those are team mental errors that can be fixed! I mean I don't see the "Donnie Avery will likely be cut next season" threads after he fumbles two games in a row and manages to be injured every other game?! He drops balls too, and misses plays! (That wasn't mean't to slam Avery, I am also a big fan of him)... so easy on Burton... atleast for now... he still has time to prove himself.

Burton in the locker room: I haven't heard anything negative said about him by the coaches, infact from what I've read that Spags said is that he is a hard worker and a good leader. Sure that doesn't always win football games but he's still seems like a guy who can prove himself and just might by the end of this season!

i agree completely... and i'll add this...

Burton hasnt played regularly in 3 years.. he has battled injuries.. by the end of this year i doubt anyone will be thinking this kid will be cut..

2007 - UK's offense
    2008 - Linehan/Haslett -- QB by committee -- then injured
    2009 - New offense -- Still very little consistency at QB

and i noticed in the last game, Bulger started to look for Burton as the primary receiver quite a bit.. how do i know he was primary ??

Bulger has decided to just stare at whomever he's going to throw it to... Interesting way to do it, and not very effective..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Having the awareness of when to break off a route and ccme back toward the Qb (when the Qb's under intense pressure i.e. running for his life)apparently is something that takes time and reps to learn. Both Holt and Bruce were more adept at this, but I've no idea how long it took them to develop in this area, just that they were much better at it than our current youthful group ..

Give Burton some time and more reps .. If he can stay healthy (a big if apparently), and stay on the field enough, there's no reason he can't develop into a productive receiver.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    Rams didn't save 5mil in cap space by trading Witherspoon. The cap hit was basically a wash for this year due to his signing bonus that was a 1.8 cap hit. His salary right now is 2.6mil. Next year when Witherspoon was scheduled to make 5mil, his cap figure would have been 6.8mil.

Rams could have simply cut him in the off season if this move was purely financial as there is no financial benefit to have traded him this season.
    I didn't say they saved $5 million this season.

And why cut him in the offseason if you can trade him now for a 5th rounder (plus a WR prospect)? How is that a better solution?

tnap61 is offline Registered User

Re: Probably looking at FA

Guys..Avery is small and will be injury prone..we need a stud!

tnap61 is offline Registered User

I agree about Bulger...he needs a change of scenery.

Avery and Burton is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by longfan View Post
    i agree completely... and i'll add this...

Burton hasnt played regularly in 3 years.. he has battled injuries.. by the end of this year i doubt anyone will be thinking this kid will be cut..

2007 - UK's offense
    2008 - Linehan/Haslett -- QB by committee -- then injured
    2009 - New offense -- Still very little consistency at QB

and i noticed in the last game, Bulger started to look for Burton as the primary receiver quite a bit.. how do i know he was primary ??

Bulger has decided to just stare at whomever he's going to throw it to... Interesting way to do it, and not very effective..
    Finally someone else with understanding! Lol.

I've also noticed that he is beginning to target him alot. The play-calling can be terrible at times though, I'll go ahead and lay the blame on Pat Shurmur for that one.

Bulger does tend to stare down the receivers that he's targeting... Especially on those two picks that he throw that we're intended for Burton. It may have been route running that was bad but that also wasn't a great decision to throw those two passes on Bulger.

longfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I didn't say they saved $5 million this season.

And why cut him in the offseason if you can trade him now for a 5th rounder (plus a WR prospect)? How is that a better solution?

to win games THIS year.. would be why..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast