Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,049
    Rep Power
    171

    Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    With Joe Gibbs announcing his retirement this morning, Saunders days with the Redskins could be coming to a close. He would be a great fit as the Rams OC. In fact, I'd probably consider him to be at least as good a candidate as Cam Cameron.

    Stay tuned.


  2. #2
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,709
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    You know Bulger would love it. Saunders and Bulger would be a great fit. However, would the 60-year-old Saunders, who has never worked for a coach younger than him, and his Air Coryell pedigree, be able to co-exist with the 44-year-old Linehan?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  3. #3
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,966
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    With Joe Gibbs announcing his retirement this morning, Saunders days with the Redskins could be coming to a close. He would be a great fit as the Rams OC. In fact, I'd probably consider him to be at least as good a candidate as Cam Cameron.

    Stay tuned.
    Not a chance ..... it makes way too much sense ...

  4. #4
    moloch41 Guest

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    I think as long as he can satisfy Lineclown's TE fetish, he should be fine...

  5. #5
    Mooselini Guest

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    yeah...i think Linehan wouldnt give enough credit for a man who has been in the business longer than he is. Linehan might be too stubborn

  6. #6
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,874
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    I agree, Saunders would make a lot of sense. If he gets passed over for the Redskins head coaching job, he may not want to hang around there. Or maybe he does if he respects the next coach (Gregg Williams perhaps?) enough. Rams fans will have to watch that situation closely, though I seem to recall Saunders being ruled out as a candidate for our HC position in 2006 so maybe the front office isn't as sold on him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  7. #7
    moklerman Guest

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    First, I'm not sure why Gibbs' retiremant implies that Saunders would leave. Either he or Williams will most likely inherit the job. Whichever doesn't, would be encouraged to stay in my opinion.

    Second, I'm not sure why Saunders would want to make a lateral move to come to the Rams(or any other team). If he's been trying to get a head coaching gig then I would see it but he's seemed to be in OC mode for...how many years now? His modest success with the Redskins offense isn't so impressive that owners are compelled to go after him.

    Last, the Rams won't get him because that's exactly what I've wanted them to do for years. My ultimate "do over" is to have kept Saunders after 1999. The only scenario I could see Saunders coming here is if he's got some kind of assurances that he's going to be the top guy.

  8. #8
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    First, I'm not sure why Gibbs' retiremant implies that Saunders would leave. Either he or Williams will most likely inherit the job. Whichever doesn't, would be encouraged to stay in my opinion.

    Second, I'm not sure why Saunders would want to make a lateral move to come to the Rams(or any other team). If he's been trying to get a head coaching gig then I would see it but he's seemed to be in OC mode for...how many years now? His modest success with the Redskins offense isn't so impressive that owners are compelled to go after him.

    Last, the Rams won't get him because that's exactly what I've wanted them to do for years. My ultimate "do over" is to have kept Saunders after 1999. The only scenario I could see Saunders coming here is if he's got some kind of assurances that he's going to be the top guy.

    Well, he just might get that top guy status. If the Rams start out slow again, the fans would literally tear down Rams Park to get rid of Linehan. He could be slotted as the HC and if the team has success, could get the gig permanent in 2009.

  9. #9
    rampete Guest

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    doesn't saunders make more money than linehan does right now?...

    i don't see the rams FO subscribing to that...

  10. #10
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,640
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing this either. By the way, Kudos to Gibbs for having one hell of a career. He was always classy and I always liked the guy.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  11. #11
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    Huge Long shot. As much as id like it to happen it wont. If he gets the HC job or if Greg Williams gets the Head Coaching job he will stay on staff. Plus he is one the highest paid coordinators in the league

  12. #12
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,584
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing this either. By the way, Kudos to Gibbs for having one hell of a career. He was always classy and I always liked the guy.
    To me, Saunders coming to the Rams is doutbful; I'd say 65 Vs. 35% as improbable given the various reasons posted above.

    V6, I like what you said about Coach Gibbs. Indeed a class act all the way.

  13. #13
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree, Saunders would make a lot of sense. If he gets passed over for the Redskins head coaching job, he may not want to hang around there. Or maybe he does if he respects the next coach (Gregg Williams perhaps?) enough. Rams fans will have to watch that situation closely, though I seem to recall Saunders being ruled out as a candidate for our HC position in 2006 so maybe the front office isn't as sold on him.
    I got the impression that we were hoping to hire a young up-and-coming head coach (considering our top candidates included guys like Ron Rivera, Cam Cameron, and Scott Linehan). So that might be why we passed on him. I also think this would be a great fit if Saunders becomes available.

  14. #14
    majorram's Avatar
    majorram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    London surrey
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,421
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    Quote Originally Posted by rampete View Post
    doesn't saunders make more money than linehan does right now?...

    i don't see the rams FO subscribing to that...

    Yeah he does!!!!, I would love him to come here, but I don't see that happening!!

    steve
    Last edited by majorram; -01-09-2008 at 07:32 AM.
    "The breakfast Club"

  15. #15
    Ramanator Guest

    Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

    This would be a great move, which is why it will never happen. They would be able to coexist if Al has a big a mancrush on TE's as Linehalf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. -01-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Similar Threads

  1. The Men Behind the Men
    By HUbison in forum Articles by HUbison
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -08-22-2006, 08:21 PM
  2. ESPN NBA Saunders, Johnson earn coach of month honors
    By Clan-Robot in forum OTHER SPORTS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-04-2006, 01:02 AM
  3. Saunders to Washington...
    By fleet69 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -01-20-2006, 04:46 PM
  4. al saunders....
    By bruce_wannabe in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: -12-10-2005, 04:03 PM
  5. Clausen finds advocate in KC coach
    By Curly Horns in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-01-2004, 02:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •