Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

With Joe Gibbs announcing his retirement this morning, Saunders days with the Redskins could be coming to a close. He would be a great fit as the Rams OC. In fact, I'd probably consider him to be at least as good a candidate as Cam Cameron.

Stay tuned.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Keep An Eye On Al Saunders

You know Bulger would love it. Saunders and Bulger would be a great fit. However, would the 60-year-old Saunders, who has never worked for a coach younger than him, and his Air Coryell pedigree, be able to co-exist with the 44-year-old Linehan?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    With Joe Gibbs announcing his retirement this morning, Saunders days with the Redskins could be coming to a close. He would be a great fit as the Rams OC. In fact, I'd probably consider him to be at least as good a candidate as Cam Cameron.

Stay tuned.
    Not a chance ..... it makes way too much sense ...

moloch41 Guest

I think as long as he can satisfy Lineclown's TE fetish, he should be fine...

Mooselini Guest

yeah...i think Linehan wouldnt give enough credit for a man who has been in the business longer than he is. Linehan might be too stubborn

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I agree, Saunders would make a lot of sense. If he gets passed over for the Redskins head coaching job, he may not want to hang around there. Or maybe he does if he respects the next coach (Gregg Williams perhaps?) enough. Rams fans will have to watch that situation closely, though I seem to recall Saunders being ruled out as a candidate for our HC position in 2006 so maybe the front office isn't as sold on him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman Guest

First, I'm not sure why Gibbs' retiremant implies that Saunders would leave. Either he or Williams will most likely inherit the job. Whichever doesn't, would be encouraged to stay in my opinion.

Second, I'm not sure why Saunders would want to make a lateral move to come to the Rams(or any other team). If he's been trying to get a head coaching gig then I would see it but he's seemed to be in OC mode for...how many years now? His modest success with the Redskins offense isn't so impressive that owners are compelled to go after him.

Last, the Rams won't get him because that's exactly what I've wanted them to do for years. My ultimate "do over" is to have kept Saunders after 1999. The only scenario I could see Saunders coming here is if he's got some kind of assurances that he's going to be the top guy.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    First, I'm not sure why Gibbs' retiremant implies that Saunders would leave. Either he or Williams will most likely inherit the job. Whichever doesn't, would be encouraged to stay in my opinion.

Second, I'm not sure why Saunders would want to make a lateral move to come to the Rams(or any other team). If he's been trying to get a head coaching gig then I would see it but he's seemed to be in OC mode for...how many years now? His modest success with the Redskins offense isn't so impressive that owners are compelled to go after him.

Last, the Rams won't get him because that's exactly what I've wanted them to do for years. My ultimate "do over" is to have kept Saunders after 1999. The only scenario I could see Saunders coming here is if he's got some kind of assurances that he's going to be the top guy.

Well, he just might get that top guy status. If the Rams start out slow again, the fans would literally tear down Rams Park to get rid of Linehan. He could be slotted as the HC and if the team has success, could get the gig permanent in 2009.

rampete Guest

doesn't saunders make more money than linehan does right now?...

i don't see the rams FO subscribing to that...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing this either. By the way, Kudos to Gibbs for having one hell of a career. He was always classy and I always liked the guy.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Huge Long shot. As much as id like it to happen it wont. If he gets the HC job or if Greg Williams gets the Head Coaching job he will stay on staff. Plus he is one the highest paid coordinators in the league

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing this either. By the way, Kudos to Gibbs for having one hell of a career. He was always classy and I always liked the guy.
    To me, Saunders coming to the Rams is doutbful; I'd say 65 Vs. 35% as improbable given the various reasons posted above.

V6, I like what you said about Coach Gibbs. Indeed a class act all the way.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree, Saunders would make a lot of sense. If he gets passed over for the Redskins head coaching job, he may not want to hang around there. Or maybe he does if he respects the next coach (Gregg Williams perhaps?) enough. Rams fans will have to watch that situation closely, though I seem to recall Saunders being ruled out as a candidate for our HC position in 2006 so maybe the front office isn't as sold on him.
    I got the impression that we were hoping to hire a young up-and-coming head coach (considering our top candidates included guys like Ron Rivera, Cam Cameron, and Scott Linehan). So that might be why we passed on him. I also think this would be a great fit if Saunders becomes available.

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete View Post
    doesn't saunders make more money than linehan does right now?...

i don't see the rams FO subscribing to that...

Yeah he does!!!!, I would love him to come here, but I don't see that happening!!

steve
    Last edited by majorram; -01-09-2008 at 07:32 AM.
    "The breakfast Club"

Ramanator Guest

This would be a great move, which is why it will never happen. They would be able to coexist if Al has a big a mancrush on TE's as Linehalf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-08-2008, 01:16 PM