Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The "Keeper" List is Shrinking

While I think the Rams have more individual talent than their play as a team is showing right now, I don't believe there are many spots on the roster right now that could be considered safe for 2009. Here's my current list:

Marc Bulger*
    Steven Jackson
    Jacob Bell*
    Orlando Pace
    Donnie Avery
    Keenan Burton
    Randy McMichael
    Leonard Little
    Adam Carriker
    Cliff Ryan
    Chris Long
    Victor Adeyanju**
    Pisa Tinoisamoa*
    Will Witherspoon
    Ron Bartell**
    O.J. Atogwe**
    Josh Brown
    Donnie Jones

* Players who will be back for contractual reasons, but are not necessarily long-term starters.

** Presuming they are re-signed.

That's 18 out of 53. You can add to that several young players who are probably a near certainty to be back (Stanley, Greco, Schuening, King, Chamberlain), but not 100%. Even if you include them, that's still only 23 out of 53 spots.

Notably, there are some players who, despite the cap hit that would result, are not certain to be back (with Torry Holt and Drew Bennett at the top of that list). I also would not be shocked to see Bulger traded if there was an opportunity to get something decent in return (i.e. start Trent Green until a rookie is ready to go).

The moral of the story: be careful what jerseys you buy this year (my most recent purchase was a throwback Henry Ellard!)

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: The "Keeper" List is Shrinking

Let's not forget Chris Massey! I like your list but we then have to consider that the 23 players listed, plus seven or so draft picks, still leaves us needing more than 20 players for the roster. I reckon that the likes of Setterstrom, Incognito and Barron will be kept as OL depth (especially as we won't get much for trading them); a similar thing may well happen in our secondary, with players who haven't made the grade being kept on purely due to a lack of interest in them from other teams.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I'd add some of the ST guys- Wade , Bassey, Johnson,Stills, if you're making a realistic list. These guys are not "safe" by any means but I've seen good enough stuff from them to warrant another opportunity. Ditto for James Hall who has played well at times & while his age is against him, I think he's good for d-line depth.

By the same token,I don't see why Ryan, Burton, or Carriker are "safe",though. I like all of them potential-wise, but none are certain starters,are they?

Like everyone else on this board, I feel the personnel changes won't make a huge difference until the FO/coaching situation is cleared up.

I think Carriker and Ryan have done their jobs, for the most part. The problem is that the Rams have the worst set of gap fillers (LBs, SS) in the league.

As for Burton, I'm not sure he's a starter, but he's a keeper.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Ok, AV, I agree that all 3 are keepers in a perfect world but poor coaching/ coordination -not to mention injuries- have made them more difficult to assess-from a casual fan's POV, than most of the others on your list.Not enough definite evidence that they are essential.

In the imperfect world, I'd be willing to dangle any of them for trade/draft bait.We need more help than our regular allotment of picks will provide & we won't get anywhere in trades or draft pick stockpiling without offering up more than dead wood,right?

Couldn't agree more about the support from the LBs & safeties but that too is clouded by the huge question marks over the Haz/Venturi system.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I agree with the comment about James Hall. He's earned his spot on the roster thus far, in my opinion. A rotation between the 3 Ends we have right now seems to be working fine, save the Jets game, but nothing was working for that game.

Truth is offline Registered User

With the play we've seen from this team in the last season and a half, NO ONE'S job should be safe. Earn a spot, if you're man enough, or leave.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

itsguud is offline Registered User

So I guess its time for me to start buying Jerseys... I am definitely going to need some help as I need to buy the jersey to influence more players to leave then not buy them for players to stay.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think Carriker and Ryan have done their jobs, for the most part. The problem is that the Rams have the worst set of gap fillers (LBs, SS) in the league.

As for Burton, I'm not sure he's a starter, but he's a keeper.
    I've been saying this for so long. Our defensive line is NOT the problem. It's our poor linebacker and safety play.

Absolutely.

If the DTs tie up blockers, only to have the LBs/SS fill the wrong gaps, it looks like the whole front 7 made a bad play when, in fact, the DTs did their job.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

As much as I wouldn't want to, We need to trade, Holt and Bulger, and Possibly Little while we still have trade value. I love these players but at this point this is cleary a rebuild situation. We could get a 4th possibly a 3rd round pick for Holt. A second round pick for Bulger, and 3rd or 2nd for Little.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Absolutely.

If the DTs tie up blockers, only to have the LBs/SS fill the wrong gaps, it looks like the whole front 7 made a bad play when, in fact, the DTs did their job.
    Well, I am glad somebody else is paying attention ....

I recall very few big gain run plays going straight up the gut of this DL. Maybe the Barber run ...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I sometimes have doubt about Atogwe. I know he's an interception magnet, but besides his interceptions, he really can't tackle, and sometimes doesn't make good reads. I know that when the other team is running the ball, the linebackers are supposed to fill the gaps, but when they do not do that, and the ball carrier gets to the secondary, Atogwe gets juked very easily.

I am not impressed with Bell very much. I think the only o-lineman on our team that wants to win is Pace. He was hustling like crazy on an interception play to make a tackle.

I would keep Avery and Burton, along with Stanley. I still want to give Looker a chance. We could rotate him in and out with Stanley. So with Avery, Burton, Stanley and Looker, I would try to find another reciever that can line up opposite of Avery, with Keenan as the slot receiver.

We need to get players that can actually stop the run. A critical, CRITICAL thing that puts us into big holes is that we cannot stop the run on first down. Mostly everytime a team runs the ball, they pick up good yardage. We give up yards very easily on first down.

I would see if we can get some decent draft picks for Little and Holt.

Cut Donnie Jones of course.

Just kidding.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

What about Fakhir Brown? Sure, he's one failed test away from a suspension, but he's arguably our best corner right now. Do we can him to set an example for the young guys or keep him because we need him?

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Marc Bulger*
    Steven Jackson
    Jacob Bell*
    Orlando Pace
    Donnie Avery
    Keenan Burton
    Randy McMichael
    Leonard Little
    Adam Carriker
    Cliff Ryan
    Chris Long
    Victor Adeyanju**
    Pisa Tinoisamoa*
    Will Witherspoon
    Ron Bartell**
    O.J. Atogwe**
    Josh Brown
    Donnie Jones
    Av, I'm not totally sold on McMichael yet. And believe it or not, Bulger is getting close to being on my "Cut" list, cap hit or not. I'm almost ready to see Berlin out there. I doubt if he could do much worse at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast