MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Keith Null .. Diamond in the rough, or just another pebble ..

Keith Null

Class:
    Senior

Hometown:
    Lampasas, Texas

High School:
    Lampasas

Height / Weight:
    6-4 / 220

Position:
    QB

Experience:
    3L

Keith Null passed for 9769 yards and 92 touchdowns with a 67.5 completion percentage during his career at West Texas A&M.

General: After spending his first two seasons in a backup role, Null stepped into the spotlight and gave notice that he intends to be remembered as one of, if not THE top quarterback in WTAMU football history.

2007: In his first full season as the Buff's starting quarterback, Null showed that he was up to the task, leading WTAMU to an undefeated regular season. He started 11 contests and completed 356-of-528 passes for a WT and LSC single-season record 4,134 yards and 41 TDs (also WT and LSC single-season marks). His per-game average of 375.8 yards per contest was also both a WT and LSC single-season water mark. Plus, with one year yet to play, those numbers rank him among the top-10 among WT career leaders in both passing yardage (sixth) and total offense (seventh). Null opened the season by tossing for 349 yards and two TDs vs. South Dakota and followed with a 27-of-42 for 379 yards and six TD performance against Adams State. He registered three games of 400+ yards passing, with his season-best outing being a 498-yard performance against Washburn. In that contest, he connected on a season-long 79-yard scoring strike to B.J. Vickers. Null missed a pair of games (vs. Angelo State, vs. Central Oklahoma) due to injury, but returned to the lineup at Tarleton State, where he connected on 42-of 56 passes for 462 yards. He earned LSC Offensive Player of the Week honors for his exploits at Abilene Christian, completing 29-of-47 passes for 360 yards and four TDs.

2006: Null appeared in five games for the Buffs in relief of starter and current NFL standout Dalton Bell. In that role, he completed 10-of-16 passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns. In the season opener against Mesa State, he completed 4-of-6 passes for one TD and a season-high 90 yards. He also connected with Charly Martin for a 37-yard touchdown in the final moments of a victory at Texas A&M-Commerce.

2005: Null saw action in three games and made two starting appearances. He completed 42-of-68 passes for a 114.05 passing efficiency. His top performance came against Abilene Christian when he completed 33-of-54 for 336 yards and one TD, with his longest completion being for 42 yards.

2004: Redshirt season.

High School: Null was a first-team all-district, as well as an honorable mention all-CenTex selection in 2002. A standout two-sport athletics, he also lettered three years on the hardwood, earning all-district honors. Academically, he finished in the top five-percent of his class, earning academic all-district in both football as well as basketball.

Major: A Sports & Exercise Science major, Null was a 2007 first-team ESPN The Magazine/CoSIDA Academic all-District 6 selection as well as being named Lone Star Conference South Division Academic Player of the Year.

There was a picture accompanying this article on the West Texas A&M site that bears (IMO) a marked resemblance to Kurt Warner .. sorry .. I can't post the link ...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Keith Null .. Diamond in the rough, or just another pebble ..

another pebble

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    another pebble
    Ditto. Good scout team QB

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

No love for Keith ?? Well .. we'll see come pre-season. He's got size and a live arm - Billy and Spags must have seen something they liked. If he can beat out the 6' 1" 215 lb Brock Berlin, he'll likely land a roster spot. Sure he played against a lower level of competition in college, but the same thing was said about Kurt Warner, and he ended up doing pretty good for us .. You just never know ...

rams#1 Guest

I tell you what.. I have Learned that you can Never ever scout a player as well as some people want to think you can. I personaly think that Keith Null Is going to beat out Brock berlin in the Preseason. and in a few years I think he will be The next Kurt warner. I love the Under dog and Keith Null is the perfect example. He has a better arm tha Kurt and he is Bigger. he needs to work on his footwork but I think he is a Diamond in the Rough. along with Dornell Scott from Clemson.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Odds are just another pebble, but you never know. I'd expect him to make this team as the #3 QB before Berlin does.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

I keep reading possible discrepancies about his arm strength. Some say he has a weak, but accurate arm, others say he can launch em.' Which is it? I've looked for video on him, but can't find it.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

rams#1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Odds are just another pebble, but you never know. I'd expect him to make this team as the #3 QB before Berlin does.
    ahh very true Nick, he may be nothing more than a PS guy, but the fun part is... He may be more than that... makes you think... doesn't it?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Interesting I found an interview with him. About being coached by Ryan Leaf;

(On what it was like working with former San Diego Chargers QB Ryan Leaf)
    “Coach Leaf was a great guy. He just knows the game. As everyone knows, he tore it up. That was his thing. So it was great to have him around, have that experience and he really taught me a lot. It’s great to have somebody who’s done it and who’s been successful at it. It was a blessing to have him there.”

"It’s great to have somebody who’s done it and who’s been successful at it." - Are we talking about the same Leaf? Maybe a drug test is in the works after this interview. Now I'm worried about this kid. Keep him away from Barron, this one might stink of reefer!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

codeman123 is offline Registered User

From what I've read he is big and strong and is projected to be a good drop back quarterback. He has the ability to look off defenders and go quickly through progressions and does not lock onto a certain receiver. He has touch in his medium length throws and is very accurate medium to short range. It seems like he is a great fit for the system we are going to run, and he obviously has the numbers. I'm sure he will be the number 3 guy and hopefully he can become at least the backup when Boller is gone.

tenplay is offline Registered User

"hopefully he can become at least the backup when Boller is gone."

Where do you think Boller is going? I am very hopeful that Boller will shine with the Rams. He was thrown to the wolves as a rookie starter with the Ravens with not even one game of apprenticeship under the wing of a veteran QB or a good QB coach. And with a sieve-like OL and no front line WRs, he was scrambling for his life from his first day. After a few serious injuries and suffering from lack of confidence, he never really got into a good groove at Baltimore. Let's hope the change of team and scenery will bring out the qualities that made him a 1st round pick.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    No love for Keith ?? Well .. we'll see come pre-season. He's got size and a live arm - Billy and Spags must have seen something they liked. If he can beat out the 6' 1" 215 lb Brock Berlin, he'll likely land a roster spot. Sure he played against a lower level of competition in college, but the same thing was said about Kurt Warner, and he ended up doing pretty good for us .. You just never know ...
    Exactly MauiRam....by the way where did Joe Flacco play his college ball?

Oh yeah...that powerhouse DELAWARE!

I think it's safe to say that we all knew that drafting a QB in the later rounds of this years draft was not only a necessity but was in fact going to happen.

Who did we think we were going to get??? Peyton Manning?

This kid hasn't even put a toe in the NFL and he's being condemned?

Again, I believe we just need to sit back and play the wait and see game before burying the poor kid and those that decided to draft him.

I know Scott Linehan has left some serious scars on alot of us but we need to get past that and trust Spags and his crew.

Thanks for letting me vent.....

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Exactly MauiRam....by the way where did Joe Flacco play his college ball?

Oh yeah...that powerhouse DELAWARE!

I think it's safe to say that we all knew that drafting a QB in the later rounds of this years draft was not only a necessity but was in fact going to happen.

Who did we think we were going to get??? Peyton Manning?

This kid hasn't even put a toe in the NFL and he's being condemned?

Again, I believe we just need to sit back and play the wait and see game before burying the poor kid and those that decided to draft him.

I know Scott Linehan has left some serious scars on alot of us but we need to get past that and trust Spags and his crew.

Thanks for letting me vent.....
    I don't think anybody is burying him, we just answered a question that was asked,you have to admit it's a longshot and before anybody brings up the fact that Brady was drafted late,remember he also went to Michigan back when they were good,not a small school somewhere.as a Rams fan I hope he becomes a star but chances are he won't and to even put him in the same sentence as Kurt Warner before he steps on the field is as wrong as me saying he won't make it before he ever steps onto the field.So I guess what I am saying is we have to wait and see.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    You asked, so I gave you my reaction. I have nothing against Null's talents, I'm just basing my reaction on the odds. I've seen lots of QB prospects fail to make it in the NFL. Some were highly touted and some were clear underdogs like Null. I wish him well, but if I were a betting man, I wouldn't put my money on his prospects. As a Rams fan, I hope he turns into the next coming of Dan Marino, Brett Favre, and Johnny Unitas all rolled into one.