Rambos is offline Registered User

Kendricks making quick impact for Rams

By R.B. FALLSTROM AP Sports Writer

ST. LOUIS (AP)—While the St. Louis Rams wait for top pick Robert Quinn(notes) to recover from a knee injury, their second-rounder is fitting in nicely.

Tight end Lance Kendricks(notes) has been working with the first unit.

The former Wisconsin star said coming out of a complicated system in college has helped him pick up new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels’ playbook pretty quickly. He has both size and speed at 6 feet 2 and 240 pounds and with a 4.49 40-yard dash time, so could stretch defenses from the middle of the field.

“I’m kind of used to the terminology and lingo. They’re kind of the same, so I try to take the similarities and apply them,” McDaniels said.

The Rams’ top pass-catching tight end last season, Daniel Fells(notes), signed with the Broncos. Quarterback Sam Bradford’s(notes) favorite target this summer was Billy Bajema(notes), given both are from Oklahoma City, but Bajema is more of a blocking tight end with only 14 receptions last season.

Kendricks has the potential to be both, and more. Already in training camp, he’s also lined up at fullback and in the slot.

“Kind of like I did in college. I’m used to that, which is good,” Kendricks said. “I’m picking up the offense a lot better than I thought I would.”

Not acting much like a rookie, either.

“I’m trying not to get nervous or anything, just get out there and act like it’s college all over again and just be calm,” Kendricks said. “That’s how you do it.”

Bradford has been impressed with Kendrick’s energy level and his physical play.

“I think he’s probably taken more reps than anyone in our offense,” Bradford said. “It seems like every time I look out there he’s in there.”

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said earlier in the week that Quinn, a defensive end from North Carolina who was the 14th pick of the draft, could be on the field soon. Quinn injured the right knee earlier this summer.

“I think the knee’s coming around, there’s a little bit of conditioning we’ve got left to do,” Spagnuolo said after practice Tuesday night. “He’s chomping at the bit to go, but we’re kind of pulling him back now.”

Before training camp, McDaniels said he might have to scale back things at the start and ease players into an offense they’ve never run because of the lockout. The lack of two-a-days is another reason.

“I think we’ve got to try to force them to learn, and they want to learn,” McDaniels said. “We’ll push and see how quickly they can learn and pick it up, and if we need to halt things a little bit then we’ll do it.”

McDaniels didn’t think training camp would necessarily be a lot more difficult for young players.

“I think that they’ll learn what we want to do here and hopefully pick it up quickly,” McDaniels said. “To me, they’re all new, so I’ve got that advantage in terms of looking at them with a fresh set of eyes, seeing what they can do and hopefully putting them in a great position to succeed.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Update on Lance Kendricks..... I think I have a man crush on Lance.... No really I see Kendricks as the center piece of our new offense... I see not just a TE, I see a BIG WR ,TE and RB all rolled into one can't wait to see him play!

The St. Louis Rams are far enough along in training camp to visualize how quarterback Sam Bradford and some of his new weapons might mesh in the future.

tight end Lance Kendricks is making an early impression on quarterback Sam Bradford.
    They're still too early in the process to claim a strong rapport has developed. There are first impressions, however, and rookie tight end Lance Kendricks is making a favorable one.

"Lance has done some great things," Bradford told reporters in St. Louis. "He has been asked to do a lot as well. I think he’s probably taken more reps than anyone else on our offense."

That last part could be telling. The Rams envision moving Kendricks, a second-round pick, around the formation and keeping him on the field.

"It seems like that every time I look out there, he’s in there," Bradford said. "Whether he is at 'Y', he’s at 'F', he’s playing wide receiver some. I think he’s done a great job, he’s physical. He really stood out to me yesterday when we put the pads on and we had the 'Ram Drill'."

Turn your playbooks to the index for a little review session. The "Y" spot is where traditional tight ends line up. The "F" spot refers more to the slot and allows for more motion/movement. As for the Ram Drill? It's a version of the Oklahoma Drill featuring one-on-one battles between blockers and tacklers.

"(Kendricks) was in my line and the first time he went, he absolutely destroyed his defender," Bradford said. "I think two guys later, we were looking for someone on offense and he came running back up to get some more. It's things like that, that really turn you on to a guy like that."
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-06-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Kendricks making quick impact for Rams

He's going to be a fine Rams ROY candidate.

Kendricks has the potential to be both, and more. Already in training camp, he’s also lined up at fullback and in the slot.

This is the player I can't wait to see... I think he will be unreal. Playing the Joker he will be in the mix in so many ways.

kman is offline Registered User

hes gonna be just like dallas clarks role indy...love it

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

LK is certainly sounding like a Ram already,isn't he? Another example of the DeSpags type of guy with a love of the game, smarts, and self-discipline as well as athletic ability.

It's also sounding like this Quinn thing was more about conditioning than the knee itself which is a relief.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I guess the streak of nailing on 2nd round picks continues. This kid is lighting camp up already and is sounding like a 10 year vet. Man, am I excited for Kendricks to kill it next season.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He's gonna earn his money if when it's 3rd and 7.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's good to hear he's coming along. The Rams could certainly use a legitimate presence at tight end.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

looks like Owen Daniels (when healthy) Wisconsin connection

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

I personally think the intermediate routes up the seam and across the field will be eaten alive by the Rams this year with their two tight end sets and their slot guys.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I personally think the intermediate routes up the seam and across the field will be eaten alive by the Rams this year with their two tight end sets and their slot guys.
    Excellent point. Teams had better hope their linebackers come ready, because they'll be picked on quite often.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Lance Kendricks and Michael Hoomanwanui will be huge presences at the TE next year.

Trevor is offline Registered User

If Mike can stay healthy. He just got a concussion yesterday!!

Man this is going to be a great year....

Bradford likes what he sees from Kendricks
    I think he’s done a great job, he’s physical. He really stood out to me yesterday when we put the pads on and we had the 'Ram Drill