Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Kennedy suffers broken foot--out season

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/05/2004
    MACOMB, Ill. - The Rams had their first serious injury of training camp Thursday afternoon, when defensive tackle Jimmy Kennedy suffered a broken right foot that could sideline him for most, if not all, of the 2004 season.

Kennedy suffered the injury during a one-on-one pass-rushing drill against the Chicago Bears, who are in town for three days of joint practices with the Rams. It was a non-contact injury: Kennedy was planting his foot to make a cut when he heard a pop, and went down with the injury.

Coach Mike Martz was unaware of the severity of the injury after practice, and told the assembled media at the time that it was simply a foot injury. But post-practice examination by the Rams' medical staff revealed the severity of the injury.

Kennedy left Macomb on crutches at about 7:30 p.m. Thursday, heading back for St. Louis and surgery today. Martz could not be reached later to comment, but team officials confirmed the injury and confirmed the fact that Kennedy will be sidelined for at least three months.

Under that timetable, Kennedy would be sidelined until early to mid-November. Even then, and with no further setbacks, it might take several additional weeks for Kennedy to round into "football" shape.

The No. 12 overall pick in the 2003 draft, Kennedy had a highly disappointing rookie season. But he dedicated himself more fully to offseason conditioning and reported to training camp bigger, stronger and in much better shape this season.

It would be a stretch to say that Kennedy had been a star during the first week of Rams camp at Western Illinois University, but he at least looked like he belonged, and looked like he might be able to contribute in the Rams' defensive line rotation this season.

Ryan Pickett and Damione Lewis are the starters at defensive tackle. But Kennedy's injury leaves only newcomer Bernard Holsey with any experience as a backup tackle. Holsey has been basically a spectator in camp so far as he recovers from offseason surgery. The Rams have been using Tyoka Jackson mainly as a defensive end in camp, but Kennedy's injury might force the Rams to use Jackson more at tackle.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Kennedy suffers broken foot--out season

Why must the injury bulls-eye be fixed so squarely on the Rams? What evil mojo karma universe thing have we upset over the past couple of years? I mean do we need to sacrifice a goat or exorcise a demon or what. Why can we not stay healthy?!?!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Every team has injuries.

This is very disappointing, though. I had high hopes for Kennedy, and it sounds like he worked very hard this offseason to make himself ready to play this year.

They still have the ability to line up a starting line of Little, Pickett, Lewis and (my guess at who will emerge) Hargrove. The back-up rotation of T.Jackson, Holsey, Moran/Flowers and Fisher is a bit thin, though.

general counsel Guest

the big issue here is depth. I had high hopes for kennedy as well. Lewis has never stayed healthy for a season and holsey isnt even healthy now. Brian Howard will get his chance to play, but we could really use another body at DT.

general counsel

coy bacon Guest

Shoulda never picked this DT in the first place, he was a poor choice. I had no confidence in him. He was a no-show for the most part last season. This is not a loss because he never put anything on the table.

Now then, don't ya wish that our FO woulda kept our best DT - Young and let Kennedy earn what he deserved - the boot!

I don't think losing him for the season is as bad as it sounds. Losing an underperforming guy ain't no real loss at all.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Now then, don't ya wish that our FO woulda kept our best DT - Young and let Kennedy earn what he deserved - the boot!
    No, I don't wish that. You can make a case that the Rams should have never drafted Kennedy and then should have resigned Young when his contract was up. That makes sense. , but to say that the Rams should have resigned Young last season and cut Kennedy makes no sense. The Rams would have suffered an accelerated cap hit from Kennedy's bonus money, and still would have had to fit Young's salary under the already strained cap of the time.

I still think the Rams would have been better off trying to trade up to get Trufant. Hopefully Kennedy makes me eat those words in the near future though.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Whether or not the Rams should have drafted a DT first last year, the injury is unfortunate (and does not prove your point, as the injury could not have been forseen).

coy bacon Guest

Nick, I don't know about the salary stuff and you're probably right about it all, and from a financial standpoint ya gotta do what works.

I'm just saying that this whole JK thing has been a WASTE, and I wish our FO was a bit smarter when it came to drafting him. I doubt if JK will ever produce. He's done for another year. Imagine, 2 seasons in the NFL, making a ton of cash, and all he's done is next to nothing.

And, all things considered, the FO should have found a way to keep Young. It was a bad move to let him go. Now we only have one proven-average, underachieving DT - Pickett. The rest are fill-ins or new.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm just saying that this whole JK thing has been a WASTE, and I wish our FO was a bit smarter when it came to drafting him. I doubt if JK will ever produce. He's done for another year. Imagine, 2 seasons in the NFL, making a ton of cash, and all he's done is next to nothing.
    To Kennedy's credit, he was said to be at Rams Park nearly every day in the offseason working out and seemed to be taking his job much more seriously. It's too bad that his season had to end prematurely, especially in the wake of all these positive reports, but like you said...
    This is not a loss because he never put anything on the table.

Reborn Guest

Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by CoyBacon
    Shoulda never picked this DT in the first place, he was a poor choice. I had no confidence in him. He was a no-show for the most part last season. This is not a loss because he never put anything on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyBacon
    I'm just saying that this whole JK thing has been a WASTE, and I wish our FO was a bit smarter when it came to drafting him. I doubt if JK will ever produce.
    Here's a few more DTs that were a waste and should have been cut after their rookie year.

LaRoi Glover (2 tackles, 0 sacks)
    Casey Hampton (9 tackles, 1 sack)
    Gilbert Brown (1 tackle, 0 sacks)
    Anthony McFarland (9 tackles, 1 sack)
    Ryan Sims (5 tackles, 0 sacks)
    Norman Hand (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
    John Parella (3 tackles, 1 sack)
    Orpheus Roye (2 tackles, 0 sacks)

Yea, these guys will never produce. (end of sarcasm)

The truth is DT is a position that takes time to produce, even more so than QB. Kennedy came in last year with false expectations and was overwhelmed with the culture shock of the NFL. Now he is injured and that is a shame. However, he has the tools, he now has the proper mindset. He will produce in this league. But it will take a little time. That doesn't help now, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

coy bacon Guest

Bah Hubison,
    So, you've searched and found a few guys who finally delivered. So what? We are all aware that some guys sometimes do pan out. At least you're admitting and agreeing with me that Kennedy was a bust, big time. And, can I put you down for supporting that we keep Lewis for as long as it takes?

Does it make sense to you to let our best DT go, while we keep the underperformers? It doesn't to me.

Don't give me that "overwhelmed" baloney. Any serious NFL player would have done his homework and known what he was getting into. If he allowed himself to be deceived, or was too lazy to prepare, then it only proves that he was a dud. I would think that someone going into the NFL would have gotten their head out of their butt and known it was going to be hard.

From what I remember last season, he showed up out of shape and had a very poor work ethic. Then he got hurt and got to collect splinters. No dice on letting him off the hook.

Just like Lewis and the promises.. blah blah blah. Pickett, another first rounded has been average, i.e. disappointing as well.

Meanwhile, we let go of our best DT - Zgonnia, and then, the next season, we let Young go, meanwhile we keep the 3 underachieving DTs. And surprize! everyone agrees that one of our biggest weaknesses is the DL.

Imagine, a professional org. letting its best talent go, while keeping the mediocre, probably because they don't want to lose face. Stupid if ya ask me.

Our FO isn't inept. I hope they do go out and find a way to get some stud DTs.

sprtsmac Guest

Coy, I'm sure you are not the only one here that wishes we could have kept Young. But do you honestly think that we could have cut one of the "underachieving" three, took the accelerated cap hit, and still been able to resign Young? Personally, I don't think so. But I'm not in the FO so I don't know. If we could have, it might have been a risk worth trying.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I still think the Rams would have been better off trying to trade up to get Trufant. Hopefully Kennedy makes me eat those words in the near future though.
    I just read in the last two days that Trufant is having a hard time picking things up.

I still think the jury is out on JK. On average, it takes 3 years for a defensive lineman to reach *it*. He did make an overhaul of his commitment, and I would like to see how that plays out next season. But he will have to make up for this year then. Next year, no performance? Bust...
    This space for rent...

Coy, we do agree on a few things.
    At least you're admitting and agreeing with me that Kennedy was a bust, big time.
    Agree. Certainly no rookie season to write home about.
    I would think that someone going into the NFL would have gotten their head out of their butt and known it was going to be hard.
    Agreed. He should have done more prep work before camp opened.
    he showed up out of shape and had a very poor work ethic.
    Agreed. A result of his lack of preparation.
    Just like Lewis and the promises.. blah blah blah.
    Agreed. Lewis was a stretch that high in the first round and we had more pressing needs.
    Meanwhile, we let go of our best DT - Zgonnia
    Agreed. We never should have let him go.
    And, can I put you down for supporting that we keep Lewis for as long as it takes?
    I am on record in other threads for saying that Lewis is at the make-or-break season, and I have never had much confidence in him.

Pickett, another first rounded has been average, i.e. disappointing as well.
    Here's where we disagree. When healthy, Pickett has been very effective. He has been a very good run-stopper and has swallowed up blockers to free lanes for Arch and blitzing LBs. If he stays healthy he will anchor the middle of that line.
    If he allowed himself to be deceived, or was too lazy to prepare, then it only proves that he was a dud.
    I don't see how you can equate naivete with lack of potential. So he got some bad advice (from Lavar Arrington, who we see is not exactly a brainchild), that doesn't mean he is a dud. He's learned from it, and according to reports has spent a lot of time at Rams Park getting ready for this season. Now he's hurt. A setback yes, but he will recover.
    So, you've searched and found a few guys who finally delivered. So what?
    My point is, those are all current DT (most of which are Pro-bowlers) who could start for any team that had rookie seasons on par with Kennedy. That position is not one where guys usually produce big right out of the gate. There are exceptions, but Kennedy may just need a little time to develop. The injury will set him back, but it's not a career killer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast