Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

the key to the defense...

it will not be the secondary this year with all those cornerbacks in the mix, you will have at least 2 of those players who will step up... the linebackers are fine as well. with the acquisition of witherspoon and coakley being healthy, the group should be tackling like gangbusters... the key is the defensive line and how much pressure they put on opposing offenses... hargrove shined the last half of the year but can he improve upon that??? glover came over from dallas with a nice contract but can he still play at a high level??? will we ever see leonard little playing like he's capable again??? and will someone light a fire under jimmy kennedy's ass???( yes it will probally be wroten with his joint but...lol)

there are a lot of questions on this d-line to be solved in order for success this year

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: the key to the defense...

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    and will someone light a fire under jimmy kennedy's ass???( yes it will probally be wroten with his joint but...lol)

that's terrible!!! lol!!! hahaha, but anyways! I agree though, I think the Defensive Line will have to truly step it up, and hopefully (I think this will happen anyways) Haslett will give all the players some inspiration to win games, and become a great defense.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

txramsfan is offline Registered User

That's true, the key is the defensive line. However, if that D line doesn't get pressure on the QB then our secondary is going to have another tough year. You can't count on Hill this year as a shutdown CB yet, he's going to have to cut his teeth for a year or two. I'm not so sure that Butler and Fisher are really that good and Fakhir Brown so far talks a good game but I really hadn't heard of him until the Rams signed him. Also, Coakley is one player I'm not counting on this season.

That being said, I feel how Kennedy goes will be how the defense goes. If he plays like he did at the end of last season then the defense will be alright.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I read something that Kennedy and Fisk will rotate during the season, so we wont have to competely count on kennedy, but the line has to be better this year than last year. So I'm guess that Glover will be double blocked which leaves 1 vs 1 for Little, Kennedy/Fisk, and Hargrove. Maybe Little can do more this year than last thanks to the appearence of Glover on the line. And hopefully Hargrove will play better. If not, Victor Adeyanju will take his place. And maybe Claude Wroten will show just enough to get some playing time.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I can't agree with you guys on this one. In my mind it is the line backer corps that needs to step up. Ever since Smith left for Chicago the defense has dropped like a rock. That was also because this defense was run by gramps but that's a different story for a different time. The linebackers where constantly missing the tackles which led to the long yardage plays into the secondary. But I also have to pin some of the blame on the defensive line. The DT's did not do their jobs last year. I do not think that Jimmy Kennedy played to his full potential. I think now that he is back at NT, his natural position he will flurish better. I also believe that by signing Glover it will elevate the game of Kennedy. As for Little and Hargrove, I believe that they are one of the best of the DE tandom's in the league...........when they are playing up to par. I don't think that they will have to prove themselves as much as the linebackers will in my mind. If the linebackers can stop the run and the short passes. and prevent them from flowing over to the secondary that we can become a top 15 defense this year.

I think it started before Lovie left, it all began when (tx's ceremonial moment of silence) London Fletcher was allowed to leave to be replaced by Jamie Duncan. The heartbeat of the defense was gone, and he hasn't been replaced since.

general counsel is offline Registered User

TX is 100% correct as usual. Jimmy Kennedy is the key guy. If we cant stop the run we are going nowhere again. Historically, we havent been the same since fletch left, and i dont see how anyone could really dispute that contention. Of all the guys that left, he was the one that could never be replaced.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

[QUOTE= That was also because this defense was run by gramps ...[/QUOTE]

O.K. I give. Who (or what) in the world is "gramps?"

WHAT SAY YE?

Larry Marmie.

Let's just for a second reflect on the second half of Lovie's last season here in STL. We couldn't stop the run if we tried. DeShaun Foster of Carolina at the time was a rookie and he ran all over Lovie's defense. Marmie wasn't left with alot of talent on defense here. Archuleta was a BUST. DLew never lived up to potential. Pickett played very well last year though. Also, the salary cap was severly tilted to the offensive side of the ball negating the Rams from going after any solid free agents. Bruce, Holt, Faulk, Bulger, and Pace aren't cheap. Throw in dead money on Warner and Turley and where does that leave you to go out and spend dollars on any top notch defensive player? Aeneas got old, both starting CB's got hurt. Shoot, we had a converted WR playing S last year.

I have a feeling that Lovie's defense in Chicago will get exposed soon enough also.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    we had a converted WR playing S last year.

Mike Furrey did an OK job. He did save us on 2 games. The Jaguars game where we were up by 3 and Jaguars were like on the 20 yard line and the QB threw the ball it bounced off a Jaguar WR and Mike Furrey caught and he saved the game. The other game was against the Saints where the Saints WR caught but it looked like he was on the ground, but the refs said that the Saints WR wasnt on the ground. And Furrey ran it for a TD. I think he led us in int. He couldnt really tackle, but he did do great plays for us. Good Luck with the Lions Furrey!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

With the exception of Little and sometimes Hargrove, This d-line is the reason the secondary looks so bad all the time! No push ..no power! The line is the missing link.....Has been for some time now!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I believe the key will be the defensive schemes that we will throw out at the opposition. The past couple of years we have had a DC that had a scheme that the players never bought into our we simply never had the talent for. I now look forward to having a DC that will be aggressive on defense, will utilize the players in a way that will show case each ones talent & if there is a down fall on performance or the injury bug hits us Haslett will adapt to the situation he is dealt. ADADT & OVERCOME WITH INNOVATION WILL BE THE TRUE KEY FOR THIS DEFENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Mike Furrey did an OK job. He did save us on 2 games. The Jaguars game where we were up by 3 and Jaguars were like on the 20 yard line and the QB threw the ball it bounced off a Jaguar WR and Mike Furrey caught and he saved the game. The other game was against the Saints where the Saints WR caught but it looked like he was on the ground, but the refs said that the Saints WR wasnt on the ground. And Furrey ran it for a TD. I think he led us in int. He couldnt really tackle, but he did do great plays for us. Good Luck with the Lions Furrey!

But that's not the point 4ever. The point is he shouldn't have been back there in the first place. Injuries, salary cap constraints, rookies, and overall lack of talent FORCED the Rams to put him back there.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

the rams should of let atogwe and carter battle it out in the first place and instead of letting a wr turn into a safety, go out and sign another safety.the defensive scheme did suck these past few years but at what point do you have to blame the players for not going out there and playing up to their potential...

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Yes players were constantly out of position last year but i blame that on the scheme. A bend but don't break attitude, which in my opinion sucks, it never works. With Haslett & his history I do believe we will have a more wide open attacking defense, players will know where to be ( which was a big problem) & what there true role is in his defensive scheme. As far as players living up to potential i believe their giving there all, but if you don' believe in something it' hard to buy it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast