Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: the key to the defense...

Last year we played Cover 2 in every game, except Dallas. We had a young secondary, the Linebackers we had were the biggest disappointments since Ryan Leaf. Furrey always wanted to make the big play, which is why he has more INTs than tackles. We had a wait and react defense which is ok if you have some, talent. Not to say our guys don't have talent, but they were young. Look at how many rookies and 1st year players...Michael Stone, Hawthone, Furrey, Atogwe and Carter were back at saftey. Who'd we have at corner, like Bartell, Groce, Bartell...

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life
    it will not be the secondary this year with all those cornerbacks in the mix, you will have at least 2 of those players who will step up...
    I disagree.

I have little confidence in our secondary. I think we all agree that the D line affects the success of the secondary. But that affect only goes so far. The secondary needs to perform a roll as well, otherwise you could put 8 men on the line all the time.

I do not think that we have the studs in the secondary to get the job done in a manner we all would like. I do not expect 2 guys to rise to the top and become said studs. Too many cooks spoil the broth and too many DBs make for a weak and un-tuned, un-refined secondary. Furrey did indeed do well at times last year. What does that tell you about the capability of our DB corps? It tells me that they were very weak.

I don't think that the LB corps is solid, so many changes; the team could not pass a Chemistry 101 test. We all expected the LBs we brought in last year to step up and do the job. There is no guarentee that Mr. W is going to do any better.

I don't expect a lot from our team this year. I think it is unfail to expect anything more than an average performance from the D - and that is pushing it.

The real "key" if ever a key existed, is Mr. Haslett. Is he really any good at Defense? How many playoff games and SBs did N.O. win while he was at its helm? I forget, someone remind me.

Let's hope that Mr. H lands on his feet when he demonstrates ten summersets on solid ground.

Remember though, Furrey wasn't slated to be the starter. We brought in Stone and Hawthorne one was a corner I think though. Put some blame on the free agents from last year. They sucked, not one stayed in the secondary, the Linebackers were a joke. 3/4 of our D-line was solid, the 1/4 being Right End, solid however, nothing to gloat about. Our corners were just bad. In this case, more was less. Travis Fisher is overrated, he's not a Probowl corner, neither is Butler. We haven't really seen what Bartell can do if he stays at corner, and no one knows about Tye Hill we can just hope for the best.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't think Butler and Fisher will ever be Pro Bowl corners. They don't have to be. Plenty of good defenses have gotten by with mediocre corners, and not just the Cover 2 varieties either. Look at Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Carolina, or even Pittsburgh. Indy's starting corners combined for 5 interceptions last year--not exactly Pro Bowl play, but that Colts defense was still pretty dominating for most the season. On the other hand, some of the teams with the best secondaries last year really struggled. Baltimore had Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle, and their defense was worse than it has been in years. The Vikings struggled, too, with Fred Smoot and Antoine Winfield in the secondary.

I think the real test is going to be whether we can stop the run. Little, Glover, and Hargrove should generate a pretty good pass rush. Even if Hargrove doesn't improve as a player, he should look better if he starts lining up against the league's right tackles. We're going to have a lot of speed on the field for coverage and blitzing, but how are we going to stop the run? Okay, it depends somewhat on the system, but traditionally you expect the NT, SLB, MLB, and SS to all be pretty good run-stoppers, right? The former 2 positions are fairly significant question marks on our D, and the latter 2 are kind of on the small side for their positions. If we can hold up against the run, I think the defense will be in pretty good shape.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -07-14-2006 at 02:42 PM.

The Colts didn't have as good a defense as everyone thinks, but Indy and Tampa play the Cover 2, only tweeked into the Tampa 2. And those teams you just mentioned have great corners. Phili had a probowler 2 years ago, and the other one should have bee. Jax had the #1 ranked pass offense. Carolina had great corners. Pitt probably had the worst corners out of all of them but they were still good corners. Ike Taylor is probably equal to Butler. As far as the Ravens and Vikings? Those teams had issues, there was no order to either team. The Vikings were a mess all last year, the coach the boat, you name it. The Ravens lost leadership on the defense, if you watched the Ravens-Lions game you can figure out what I'm talking about. That team just blew up, it doesn't help that they had no order to the other side of the ball either. You're right about stopping the run though, you can always drop more people into coverage, but once you put everyone in the box there's nothing else.

I don't know. Chris Gamble, Ken Lucas, and (when the Panthers won the Super Bowl) Ricky Manning weren't that extraordinary. They got the job done, but when people talked about the team's weaknesses, that was usually one of the first areas to be brought up. I never really thought Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown were that impressive either for Phillie. Sure, Sheppard went to the Pro Bowl, but half the team went in '05 (okay, actually only 8 of them, but still).I think Jevon Kearse, Darwin Walker, and the safeties had more to do with that team's success. I will admit the Eagles safeties were and are top-notch. The Jags' Rashaun Mathis, Kenny Wright, and Terry Cousin? They played well enough, but their job was made a lot easier by John Henderson and Marcus Stroud collapsing the pocket on the QB. Yeah, the team had a top pass defense, but it wasn't because they had Pro Bowl corners. That's my point.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -07-14-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Never said the Jags had good corners....just wishing you wouldn't figure that out on your own. The Panthers however, had very good corners this year. Talk about their D you talk about Dan Morgan and the Corners. Look up the INTs for those guys, Lucas could have gone bowling The Eagles still had two of the best corners in the game. When the one went to the probowl the other, whoever it may be only gave up one touchdown the whole year. To me, Michael Lewis is the worst in the Eagles secondary...what is the point of this? It's not really Rams related.

Yeah, guess I got off on a tangent there. I think another one of the big keys to this defense is going to be how well the players meld. We're going to have so many new faces on the defense that aren't used to playing together. Especially early on, chemistry is going to be a huge factor.

Finally, we've got something we can agree on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12