txramsfan is offline Registered User

Keys for success on the defensive side of the ball

1. Continued improvement from Kennedy and Pickett is essential. Stuffing the run starts at the line of scrimmage. I don't focus on how many tackles DT's make, but how the stuff the line so the LB's can make a play. I would like to see Pickett penetrate the O line to get to the QB more.

2. Secondary coverage has to improve. Who remembers the dropsie by Arch last year against the Jets at the goal line besides moi? That has to stop this year. The Rams have to take advantage of situations where turnovers present themselves.

3. Little and Hargrove/D Lew have to get to the QB more. Way too many times last year did teams convert long 3rd down plays to sustain drives. Getting to the QB more is essential. Not necessarily sacking the QB, but putting the QB in a hurry situation will help the secondary in coverage.

4. Limiting the number of tackles by the secondary on running plays. Claiborne and Coakley should be able to correct this situation as Polley seemed to just miss too many tackles.

Please, chime in with other thoughts.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Keys for success on the defensive side of the ball

as much as I like Arch, he needs to step it up or he could find himself watching. We have more play maker trying to find there way onto the field.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Who remembers the dropsie by Arch last year against the Jets at the goal line besides moi? That has to stop this year. The Rams have to take advantage of situations where turnovers present themselves.
    As much as that one hurt, I remember Aeneas bobbling a ball in the endzone against the Saints that Joe Horn pulled in for a TD as one that hurt much worse.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

5. Memorize the playbook! Too many players last season were tentative in their motions and therefore... sucked. Once they get Marmie's multi-look system down, they'll be confident enough to focus on punching at the ball and take some passes back.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The turnover ratio absolutely has to turn around. -24 and last in the league is NOT going to get it done. The giveaways were bad, but the takeaways on defense were abysmal (6 INTS, 9 FUM). Finishing tackles and wrapping up ball carriers has also got to improve.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

It's gotta start with the D-line. From there it will all fall into place! well put TX !!!!! I also think that ST's could play a big part of that defense!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!