sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Keys to Success next Season

I believe we can be a powerhouse next season. We obviously need some changes here and there, but we improved so much over the last season. I will give you my ideas of what I think needs to be done this offseason for us to really be successful. Ordered from most important to least. I will also tell you who I like most to fill the position.

Keys to Success:

1) Grab a #1 WR. We need a dependable receiver who can stretch the field and make some big plays. Someone that makes the defensive coordinator lose sleep the night before we play them. I would be ecstatic with either Sidney Rice or Julio Jones. Either would make this offense that much better immediately.

My preference: Julio Jones is my favourite option. If we cannot land him, I say we go in this order: Sidney Rice, Leonard Hankerson, Jonathon Baldwin, Vincent Jackson.

2) Replace Goldberg with a mauler. I would love Logan Mankins, Justin Blalock, Marshal Yanda, or Carl Nicks. These guys are all free agents and are all definently above average players. 2 Pro bowl level players there (Mankins, Nicks), and 2 more that are solid and definently someone we want to add (Yanda, Blalock). We can also draft a new one which would be fine in my mind too.

My preference: Realistically, Justin Blalock. He wouldn't be too expensive and would be a huge upgrade. Other guys we can target: Logan Mankins, Carl Nicks, Mike Pouncey and Marshal Yanda.

3) A new OLB. The plethora of OLB's we have now just isn't working out. I really look towards the draft to solve this problem. There is a lot of young guys that have good skill sets that would improve our defense immensely. We got burned by quicker RB's this year on the edge. Getting Na'il back will be huge, but we need another.

My preference: Mason Foster. Great player and would love to draft him. Other options: Akeem Ayers, Bruce Carter, James Anderson, and Chad Greenway.

4) A backup RB change of pace guy. Once again, I am looking towards the draft here. Several young guys that are all smaller, quick, fast, makes plays in open field, and are definently good at catching the ball. We seriously need to get one this off season.

My preference: Noel Devine. He is an electrifying player. Other options: Kendall Hunter, Demarco Murray, Darren Sproles, and Jerious Norwood.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -01-22-2011 at 04:30 PM.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Re: Keys to Success next Season

Keeping OJ on the roster will be very important too.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Living in the U.K all my life. Ive never had the pleasure of watching college football in any depth, although with the advent of the internet, Im not completely in the dark anymore!
    Apart from the true potential stars, its difficult to get any signicant film of 90% of the players in line to be drafted. I literally just read as many different write up's, of each players strength's and weakness's. Then find as much video evidence possible, and not just all the positive stuff, if I can help it.
    Ive seen highlights of Julio Jones, A.J Green, and Blackmon.
    I was blown away by Green, he just looks like the perfect reciever. Good size, speed, hands, everything.
    Blackmon was second to Green, but it wasnt by an awful lot. Big,decent hands, strong, and seemed explosive.
    Then here's Julio Jones. Lanky frame, good speed and tough to bring down. Hand eye co-ordination not the best. Slow to get into top speed which effects his elusiveness. At times though when given the space he looks excellent. I believe he is only going to get better though, with a very high ceiling.
    Very interested to see what happens at the combine, Cant wait.
    QUESTION.
    Can anyone on this forum whos seen a lot of J.Jones play tell me what they can about him please?
    GO RAMS
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-22-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Forgot the main point?

Julio is a strong physical receiver. At times he has struggled dropping some easy balls. He is a willing blocker and a good one at that. He played through a broken hand, which demonstrates his toughness. He is 6'4 and is quick. You're right, A.J Green in my eyes is also the perfect receiver, but there isn't much of a chance if at all to land him.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i agree with a lot of what you say and suggest Sosa.... but there`s one thing i don`t understand and you are not the only one who has done it,i`ve seen in a lot of mocks the DT position being totally overlooked and i really think we need definately one maybe two good additions there.
    Robbins was fantastic for us last year but obviously too old to count on for long.
    then there`s Gary Gibson..good rotational guy but shouldn`t have more than say 20 snaps a game..there`s Ryan who i liked but is a FA and with his health problem his talent level doesn`t really justify taking the risk of re-signing him to a long term deal..then theres Darell Scott..will this guy really have to be told his job is on the line every time we want him to perform? he seems to have the skills but also seems to be unable to exercise self-drive.

so basically we have just 2.5 DT`s..not ideal for a team who likes to rotate linemen in and out IMO

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

We don't need no stinkin' Bammers on our Rams!

Seriously, I watched this kid play every Saturday and although he made some GREAT plays I feel he doesn't really live up to the hype. (Which may be impossible down here in Dixie) Several SEC recievers were better and A.J. Green is far and away the best imo.

Just for the record, I'd rather have Sydney Rice ... by a mile. Oh, and WAR DAMN EAGLE!
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i agree with a lot of what you say and suggest Sosa.... but there`s one thing i don`t understand and you are not the only one who has done it,i`ve seen in a lot of mocks the DT position being totally overlooked and i really think we need definately one maybe two good additions there.
    Robbins was fantastic for us last year but obviously too old to count on for long.
    then there`s Gary Gibson..good rotational guy but shouldn`t have more than say 20 snaps a game..there`s Ryan who i liked but is a FA and with his health problem his talent level doesn`t really justify taking the risk of re-signing him to a long term deal..then theres Darell Scott..will this guy really have to be told his job is on the line every time we want him to perform? he seems to have the skills but also seems to be unable to exercise self-drive.

so basically we have just 2.5 DT`s..not ideal for a team who likes to rotate linemen in and out IMO
    You're right, I wouldn't at all mind us grabbing a DT whether its through the draft or FA. It's not that I don't think we need to address it, its just I thought all those other positions I posted were more in need of a player. Maybe someone to look out for their is Barry Cofield or Muhammed Wilkerson.

Don't forget though, we get Clifton Ryan off IR next year. He was really preforming, although he did lose his job in the preseason to Gary Gibson. I am really pulling for him so we have 1 less hole to fill.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I would be surprised if DT is'nt something that isn't addressed in some capicity with Spags being a defensive minded head coach and the lack of production from the guys we have now. Everyone seems to forget about Scott who was a fairly high pick and has up to this point been a dud. Robbins was a great surprise and the addition of him IMO really helped out Hall and Long get more one on ones and get at the passer more.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

What will be the measure of success for The Rams next season? Should the 2010 season be concidered a failure?`
    The problem with last season was the fact that the Rams had a chance to go to the playoffs, but having gone 1-15 the previous season, the expectations weren't set high enough for the obtainable opportunities that presented itself.

The hiring of Josh McDaniels, seems to be a 'Declaration' if you will, by the team, to align itself with someone that has had proven success as an offensive coordinator.

What is it really that would 'Constitute' success for the Rams next season?

While watching this years' playoffs, all RAMS need only to turn to face themselves and come to the realization that it takes alot of dedication and hard work to have a chance to be in the position to go to the Super Bowl.

The keys to success for the Rams, is keying on the ideal of success. AS for the Keys, the Rams need to turn it! Reach down between their legs, Ease the seat back.......Get that feeling, Power Steering....Pistons Popping...Ain't No stopping Now.........PANAMA!!! = Success!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PARamfan is offline Registered User

I think if you're looking for an immediate impact at the WR Position you have to go for a FA instead of the draft. Many talented WRs taken in the draft that go on to have great pro careers do not make an immediate impact on their teams in year 1. Our need at this position is great if we want to take another huge step next season therefore i think we need to sign Sidney Rice and use our # 1 pick on our OG or OLB needs.

robot is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    I think if you're looking for an immediate impact at the WR Position you have to go for a FA instead of the draft. Many talented WRs taken in the draft that go on to have great pro careers do not make an immediate impact on their teams in year 1. Our need at this position is great if we want to take another huge step next season therefore i think we need to sign Sidney Rice and use our # 1 pick on our OG or OLB needs.
    That'd be great PARamfan, but the general consensus is that the Vikings will retain Sidney Rice and give him a huge franchise contract. Even if Sidney Rice would like to go to the Rams because of the superior upcoming offense system with our soon-to-be elite QB, it wouldn't be possible.

Who knows what will happen. The possibility is slim though I do like the option of getting Sidney Rice through the FA market and acquiring a DE/OLB/SS in the first round and a prospect LT/RT in the second round(to help strengthen our run-blocking scheme).

EDIT: I think getting Carl Nicks or some other guards that can easily replace our current guard situation would be better as well.
    Last edited by robot; -01-23-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

For 2011--

Oh yah! WR is a definate need--the Rams where 2 to 3 dropped passess away from the playoffs. Still even hadf the Rams defeated the Seahawks to make it into the playoffs, it is doubtful they would have gotten pass the Bears much less the Packers. The Rams are one defensive LEADER away from a top 10 defense; that would require a free agent acquistion there. Pretty much getting a solid number 1 WR would have to be a vet would be another free agent pickup--there is little hope that a rookie or two WR would easily fill that role fresh from the draft.
    So, considering 2011--assuming there is a 2011 season--I would see the Rams needing to get more depth from the draft for the O-line and another RB/FB help for S. Jackson. Nevertheless, there are still lots of items on the Rams shopping list.