RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Keys to victory, IMHO:

When the Rams have the ball:

1. Spread the field left to right – The Eagles are going to bring the pressure. There is not a more creative defense in the league when it comes to lining all different types of players up in all different types of positions. Regardless, if you can spread such a defense from sideline to sideline, there will be holes, and these can be exploited in the middle of the field. First instinct says to run it down their throats, and this run defense may be a little suspect, especially around the right edge. Success on a few off tackle runs and sweeps, in conjunction with some quick hits to the outside in the passing game could get the linebackers and safeties a little wider in coverage. If this happens, quick slants and hitch routes will open up over the middle, ultimately pulling the safeties in, which will prompt opportunities to go deep over the middle from time to time. If Bulger can somehow hit a deep ball or two, we could have an offensive field day. However, a lot of if’s go in this, and most, importantly, Bulger will need time in the pocket for the deep routes to develop

2. Pick up the blitz – The sounds simple. If it was as simple as it sounds, every quarterback in the league would pick the Eagles apart. The backs need to be efficient in this role. The Eagles will send seven and even eight, and if the backs can be adequate in blitz pickup, McMichael and Klop could see a lot of balls come their way with a lot of running room ahead of them. I would imagine that Saunders has some nicely designed screens awaiting. Regardless, Johnson never gets frustrated with a lack of production from his blitz and he will keep sending it no matter the results. We should never become complacent because you never know when he’ll send it and where it will come from.

3. Get Drew Bennett involved – Like him or not, we need to get Drew involved, and get him involved early. He is a critical aspect to our passing game at this point and we need to build his confidence early, not only for this game, but for later in the season. No Eagles defensive back can match up with Drew in terms of size, and production in the red zone might hang on Drew’s ability to go up and get a ball. The Eagles DB’s can cover like no other, but they will struggle if you try to go on top of them.

When the Eagles have the ball:

1. Avoid the big gainer on the ground – Brian Westbrook is the type of back that our defense is designed to contain, as we tend to struggle against bigger backs. We are a little undersized up front, but we have speed all over the field, particularly at linebacker, where Culberson is significantly more nimble than Chillar. If we can keep Westbrook between the tackles, I think he will have a difficult time picking up big yards. We need to be careful when backs other the Westbrook are in the game, as our defense tends to get into a particular “zone” or “feel” and we often give up big yards to change of pace backs. Westbrook has the potential to hurt us on a streak or fly route moreso than the screen and short hitch routes. If he gets to the sideline often, it could be a long, long day for our rush defense. McNabb is not the threat he once was, but he can still run, and he will if he has too.

2. Avoid the big gainer on special teams – This is simple and needs no explanation. It will be interesting to see how the addition of Gary Stills helps this team. Reading up on him, it doesn’t seem there is a better special teams cover guy in the league. He doesn’t have to make all the stops, but drawing constant double teams as he does, should free up some of our gunners. One big play on special teams could change this game in either teams favor, and for us, must be avoided at all costs.

3. Get aggressive with the Eagles receivers – Curtis is definitely out, and Brown might be too. This leaves a very inexperienced core of receivers for McNabb to work with. We need to get in their face and aggressively pursue these guys all over the field. Their confidence will have a lot to do with their performance, especially DeSean Jackson, and if we can push them around early, they may have a hard time getting open all day. The last thing the Eagles want to do is become one dimensional, because Westbrook may have a difficult time getting downfield if we can key on him due to our overall speed on defense. No available wide receiver has great hands, nor has any had significant production in the past. We don’t have to get a slew of interceptions or fumble recoveries to win this game, we just have to keep the ball in front of us.

Final Score:

Rams 23, Eagles 17

Field goals early and a big play late seals this game for the Ram's. The Eagles will have a hard time getting in a rhythm, and our ability to control the ball will wear them down in the second half. For the first time in awhile, our defense will get stronger as the game progresses, due most in part to our offense allowing them to stay fresh.

I must note, that I think the Eagle's might win this game if Curtis and Brown were playing. I just don't see how they are going to mount much offense against us with the core of WR's they have.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Keys to Victory - Rams @ Eagles

Nice write-up, thanks.

2 keys to our success in this game that jump out at me:

1. Our special teams coverage units have to play better than they have been.

2. We must keep consistent pressure on McNabb. Regardless of who his receivers are, if he has time he will pick us apart throwing to the three stooges.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Nice write-up, thanks.

2 keys to our success in this game that jump out at me:

1. Our special teams coverage units have to play better than they have been.

2. We must keep consistent pressure on McNabb. Regardless of who his receivers are, if he has time he will pick us apart throwing to the three stooges.
    If we can get consistent pressure on McNabb, and force him into an INT or two, we could win this game pretty easily. He is not the most accurate passer when he has time, nonetheless when he is pressured ...

I think we can win this game without forcing a bunch of turnovers or getting a ton of pressure. If we do, I cannot see how they will score points with only one playmaker on the field ...

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Pretty much what I said in an earlier post.

On paper the Rams have the better offense, expecially if the Rams D can neutralize Westbrook. Just against the Eagles defense the Rams have to open the play book at them...mixure of rushing and passing.

Its the passing that will win the game I think. Quick slants and short passess to the RB/TE burn the blitz. Hitting them with the run to keep the Eagles D guessing will keep them from tee-ing off on Bulger. Most important the Rams have to put together long time consuming drives and walk away with points.

Do just that fuels the defense--gives them something to play for and amore importantly rests to give it 100% effort.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Pretty even matchup IMO, should be a great game. The one key will be special teams. If we have to 80 plus yds. to score while they only go 60 it could be tough to overcome. Rams 24-21.