LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Kickoff and Punt Return

We used to have a dangerous kickoff and punt return threat in Joe Horne and Hakim. Looking at what we have done since doesn't really bode well. Dane Looker and Brad Pyatt? Are we really concerned about starting field position? Unless these guys have some background that makes them "special" I feel that this should be addressed with some real style and speed.

I guess with an offense like ours this position might be overlooked. I hate to see us start every possession deep in their territory.

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Kickoff and Punt Return

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer
    We used to have a dangerous kickoff and punt return threat in Joe Horne and Hakim. Looking at what we have done since doesn't really bode well. Dane Looker and Brad Pyatt? Are we really concerned about starting field position? Unless these guys have some background that makes them "special" I feel that this should be addressed with some real style and speed.

I guess with an offense like ours this position might be overlooked. I hate to see us start every possession deep in their territory.
    Look at it this way, atleast we're a team fortunate enough to have a very explosive offense to start all the way back at the 20 yd line and still score. A lot of teams still aren't all around that great on offense, if we can get a good special team(s) again, it'll just help us score quicker, its great to get closer from punts and kickoffs, but in the end, we gotta be happy with the offense we got! What I am truly worried about is the defense, than the special teams we can worry about more

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

good point. just thinking of that 99' team.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

bruce4life is online now Registered User

brad pyatt is as explosive as they come returning kicks and i believe hagans is going to take punt returns and do some big things this year

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

A healthy Pyatt could mean big things, but he missed all of last season with a shoulder injury and has also missed time for a lower back strain, a fractured vertebrae, a bruised chest, an ankle injury, a thigh injury, and a hip pointer (am I forgetting anything?). He was sitting out of Rams camp with back spasms for a while, too. That gives him half as many injuries as games played. :O

I know they say Hagans is elusive, but back when he was actually returning punts he wasn't that great. In the 2001 season, DeJuan Groce had nearly twice as many yards/return (17.3 compared to 9.03) and 4 returns for TD to Hagans' 1. Hagans improved to 9.61/return in 2002. He quit returning punts in 2003, and a freshman by the name of Eddie Royal stepped in and put up an average of 10.96 that year. You could argue he wasn't the best returner on his own team, much less among the best in his draft class.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -05-30-2006 at 06:36 AM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Tony Horne was sensational in 1999, and he put that offense in great field position all year. I do think it's important to have solid return teams or solid special teams for that matter, and right now it's a toss up for any special teams position this year which should make pre-season somewhat interesting.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Tony Horne was sensational in 1999, and he put that offense in great field position all year. I do think it's important to have solid return teams or solid special teams for that matter, and right now it's a toss up for any special teams position this year which should make pre-season somewhat interesting.
    I agree that this is very important, but as of right now, we really don't know what to expect because of all the new guys, and did we get a new ST coach? I forget! Sheeesh, but anyways, yes it will be a very interesting pre-season, and hopefully by then we'll know what we're doing with the Special Teams.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I say give Kevin Curtis a shot at Kick Returner and I'm pretty sure Marques Hagans is our Punt Returner.
    RamsFan16

general counsel is online now Registered User

i would never risk curtis as a kick returner. too high a risk that he gets hurt. I think haggans is a good shot at punt returner and i always liked groce in that role as well. To me, what is often overlooked is the horrible blocking on the rams special teams and how that has impacted our return game. I am not looking for a return to 1999, i am most focused on eliminating the fumbles on the returns and avoiding running backwards ala mcdonald. Horne was a special talent. As for az, big plays and BIG BIG fumbles, which is something this team can do without. Cutting down on the penalties on the return game would help us field position wise as much as anything else.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Who cares who the kick returner is with our offense (sarcasm)