Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Kids Are Alright... for now.

Did you get that the title of this thread had a reference to the Who?

Maybe, that's the problem.

I'm speaking to you, our new young friends. Your presence here is becoming somewhat of a Catch-22 (another old reference... try to keep up).

On the positive side, you bring energy and enthusiasm to the Clan, along with a fresh perspective. We certainly would never want the Clan to become static or too far removed from the younger generation of Rams fans.

However, on the negative side, some of our younger contributers are demonstrating a lack of understanding of what makes ClanRam the best Rams message board on the net.

We are not the PD board or the old "official site" board. We don't exist to give voice to rapid-fire, superficial and repetitive commentary. We have always prided ourselves on maintaining a high level of discourse, mixed in with original commentary and humor. We are not the "shock value" board... we are not the "post hundreds of repetitive, obvious and inane comments just to fill the post counts" board.

So, while we of the Clan's Old Guard, so to speak, welcome the addition of new, young, posters, don't mistake our hospitality for an opening to make this board something it is not.

We will use our power to put a stop to those who are unable or unwilling to abide by these principles.

Thank you and LONG LIVE THE CLAN!!!!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: The Kids Are Alright... for now.

Thats why its a MESSAGE BOARD. Each person brings there own personality and attitude.
    RamsFan16

Wrong.

Its a MODERATED message board. That means that there are rules and principles that must be followed.

To be perfectly blunt... there are some personalities and attitudes we'd just as soon not have around here.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Wrong.

Its a MODERATED message board. That means that there are rules and principles that must be followed.

To be perfectly blunt... there are some personalities and attitudes we'd just as soon not have around here.
    Well I know that but generally somone brings something new to the table each time they arrive.
    RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Maybe I dont come around enough, but I havent noticed a problem. Perhaps it is the selection of language, I dont know. I hope I have not caused any problems here at the site though.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

As I am also a new member to this board, I would like to say hello to everyone. I have been reading posts here for a few months and find them very thoughtful and much more mature in content than the other boards mentioned above. What a pleasant surprise! I am more of a reader than a poster, but on occasion i will chime in when i think something has been overlooked or missed. Maybe even adding another viewpoint. I live in LA, and my two favorite teams are the RAMS and whoever plays the 49er's. I'm optomistic for the new season and think the new coaching staff is much more thourough in thier evaluation of new drafed players. The addition of Paul Boudreau coaching the OL will turn out to be a big improvement for this team, Also Rick Venturi for linbackers will make that unit better. There will be some hard times ahead this next season, but this staff looks to be a good combination of old and new. Lets all hope for a productive season.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaramfan
    As I am also a new member to this board, I would like to say hello to everyone. I have been reading posts here for a few months and find them very thoughtful and much more mature in content than the other boards mentioned above. What a pleasant surprise! I am more of a reader than a poster, but on occasion i will chime in when i think something has been overlooked or missed. Maybe even adding another viewpoint. I live in LA, and my two favorite teams are the RAMS and whoever plays the 49er's. I'm optomistic for the new season and think the new coaching staff is much more thourough in thier evaluation of new drafed players. The addition of Paul Boudreau coaching the OL will turn out to be a big improvement for this team, Also Rick Venturi for linbackers will make that unit better. There will be some hard times ahead this next season, but this staff looks to be a good combination of old and new. Lets all hope for a productive season.
    Welcome to ClanRam man! Enjoy your stay
    RamsFan16

Welcome to the Clan, BubbaRamFan!

Now, as for the problem...

1. It does exist, to a degree.

2. I'm not going to "call out" any particular poster. Instead, I'll give some simple advice...

Before you post (particularly if you are posting a new thread), ask yourself... are you adding something to the boards, or are you merely posting for the sake of posting? If its the latter, reconsider.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Well I know that but generally somone brings something new to the table each time they arrive.
    My problem is not the personalities or attitudes of a lot of the new posters, but the content of their posts. True, each new member brings a new perspective and something fresh, but when topics are regurgitated in different words, posts are made nearly illegible as if the person writing it hasn't even glanced at what they just typed, or nothing new is brought to the table in the conversation, it just doesn't feel worth reading and turns out to be a waste of space, only watering down potentially intelligent conversations. I'm not saying all my posts are very thought-provoking or groundbreaking; all I ask is that we as honorable ClanRam members think before we type - not just slap out random posts of whatever pops into our heads on a given topic.

I feel like I'm just rambling, so I'll provide a link that lays out this concept in a more stylish, understandable manner - really, the principles Avenger speaks of are quite simple. I encourage all that have bothered to read this far to click, learn [if need be], and enjoy:

Posting... And You

[may not work for some browsers without Flash capabilities]

Last edited by evil disco man; -05-17-2006 at 01:22 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Interesting little movie EDM! :up: Helpful to all of us.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Hey, Avenger if you're referring to me, I apologize for whatever I did. I'm not really too sure what I did, I know I'm a young user, so this could be me who you're talking about, maybe not. But as far as attitude or whatever, I did stop the language and all that stuff...So if it is me, let me know and I'll stop whatever I'm doing to annoy you or frusterate you.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

If AV wants me to shut up...then shutting up I shall do.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

With this being the off-season, there is little news about the Rams to discuss. Topics posted during this time of year are basically "free range". Some of our members leave when the season is over, only to return when the boys in Blue & Gold hit the field in August.
    Those members who do post are usually the 'die-hards'. Others are posting out of desperation, hoping to get a bit of Rams into their daily lives.
    The posts that bother me the most (and yes, I am guilty, as are most of us!) are the ones that re-hash the same topic over and over in different words. (for instance, at least two current threads about how the 'official' site sucks!) The other thing that bothers me is spelling and language errors. There is a 'spell check' option in the upper right corner of the reply window. How hard is it to click on that button?
    Avenger....perhaps you could make it to where the offenders receive 'warning tickets' to let them know when they are pushing the limit a bit without waiting until a violation actually takes place. A lot of us are apprehensive about hitting the 'rep' button for a matter which we don't consider too bad, and the same goes for the 'bad post' button. We don't like someone getting into trouble for a trivial matter, and if someone gets offended and they click on either of the two, does the offender get the message, or does it go to the PTB?

Yea I'm also very guilty of it RFS. But before some people post articles also they should look down the page 3 topics to see that they are posted.
    RamsFan16

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, no one here is saying not to post. However, staying on topic lately has been sporadic at best. I realize it's the offseason, and no one is saying STOP, just maybe take a deep breath and see if that particular thread is for you......if your view on the topic has already been addressed.....and how and what does your imput bring to the topic....

Av is right, this is a moderated message board unlike some. That's how we chose to run ClanRam and I do believe so far it's been a successful approach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast