MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Killing the hopes of Rams fans

.07.2008 6:35 am
    Killing the hopes of Rams fans
    By Jeff Gordon
    Email this Share this Print this Digg Yahoo! Del.icio.us Facebook Reddit Drudge Google Fark Stumble It!
    Are the Rams headed toward a remarkable turnaround under Scott Linehan in 2008?

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King thinks not. He put the Rams 29th in his post-draft NFL power rankings. He explained why:

“Look on the bright side: I talked to a personnel guy the other day who said, ‘Chris Long was the top player on our board.' 'The Rams have no idea what a great player they’re getting.’ I like the Long pick because he’ll be driven every-day he is on this planet to prove his legions of doubters wrong.”

But . . .

“Jake Long would have been a better pick for this team, but that’s a moot point because he wasn’t available. Orlando Pace can’t make it through a year healthy, and Alex Barron is a below-average player … those are your bookend tackles, the guys who have to keep a relatively frail (for a quarterback) Marc Bulger upright for 16 weeks. Unless Bulger makes it through the year unscathed, I’d be surprised if the Rams won six games.”

Really .. The Rams have no idea .. no clue whatsoever? They just pulled his name out of a hat and got lucky - that must be it right? Who was this personnel wizard Peter ? .. I know .. you have to protect your sources, and given this insightful remark, your source surely needs protecting ...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Killing the hopes of Rams fans

Wow. I love reading articles like this, no one has a clue whats going to happen this season. Look at last, I'm more than sure most of us saw the Patriots in the play offs by week 6. Superbowl run by week 10. Did any of us see the Giants as the opponents, better yet, CHAMPIONS!? No.

What I'm trying to say, is that if a "writer" is going to go out on a limb and say that the Rams may not win six games is ignorant. I didn't see the Cardinals beating us out in the west, but they did. Things change in the NFL, and who knows, we could very well have a turn around year. Though it may not look as clear as we want it to be, its still a very good chance we may end up being 8-8 or better.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You know, if I was Pace, I'd call up Mr. King and bet him a steak dinner that he'll not only finish the season healthy, but make the pro bowl.

Putting us 29th is fine by me because hey, we can't get much worse in the media's eyes. And more importantly, it should stoke the fires in the players to prove them wrong. Let us come from nowhere this year. Fine by me. What's starting to get m the more I read those lines about us is that the whole media puts way too much into our offensive line last year. Yes, we know they sucked, guys, but you know, when you average over one lineman injured over the first six weeks and only have one start make it through the season, not even at his correct position, your line is going to suck. If we had our line intact for more than a half at a time we might have been able to sustain drives. Just watch out this year, because we actually have depth on our line because of last year.

YodaRam Guest

Although i don't always agree with Peter King, he is pretty darn good at what he does. And he's blunt. That's analytical. That's being a realist. I find it hard to disagree with.
    The fan in me wants that to be wrong. On paper we don't look very good in key positions. So, being a fan, i have to hope for a cinderella story. It happens, of course, but when it does it takes break-out consistant performances from unexpected players.
    So let's rub the bottle and see if the genie comes out.

RAM ON!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Unless Bulger makes it through the year unscathed, I’d be surprised if the Rams won six games.”
    What is he saying? Unless Bulger makes it.......is he saying Marc will get hurt and we will be lucky to win 6 games?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Yeah, this article was confusing to read.

I think he's right about our tackles though. Here's hoping that Greco pans out quickly.

Yodude is offline Registered User

This just in....in his 1999 pre-season NFL Power Rankings....Zimmerman from SI had the Rams at 21. The lower the expections, the sweeter it will be for the Rams faithful, just like 1999. And the more bitter for the rest of the NFL.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    What is he saying? Unless Bulger makes it.......is he saying Marc will get hurt and we will be lucky to win 6 games?
    Rambos. I think that's what he is assuming. But even with a healthy Bulger in the line-up i'm not convinced that we fair much better. When Bulger had time to throw last year he didn't read very well. He looked lost. Again, i believe it to be Warner type symptoms.
    A lot of q.b's rack up the numbers between the 20's. Inside the 20 is where the money ball lies and the Rams lack that ability. Is it Bulger, the O-line, the playbook, the coach or coaches? I don't know. But this problem didn't start last year.

RAM ON!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont disagree with the statement that we wont win more than 6 games if we cant keep bulger healthy.

As for pace, there is no way to tell. I will say that the best predictor of future performance is past performance, and The Big Man has been hurt quite a bit over the last three years.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    But even with a healthy Bulger in the line-up i'm not convinced that we fair much better. When Bulger had time to throw last year he didn't read very well. He looked lost.

RAM ON!
    How often did he have time to throw last season???? Once every ten attempts maybe?

It's a well known fact that if any...that's any NFL QB is given time to operate in the pocket he will be not only successful but will most likely pick apart the opposing defense. Marc Bulger is not just "ANY" NFL QB. Give him time and we will win more than 6 games. You can take that to the bank.

Is it Bulger, the O-line, the playbook, the coach or coaches?
    I say Marc will be fine.

The O line will be as good as Pace makes them.

We have a new playbook, it''s the same as ther old playbook.

We have a new OC.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

simple fact is this:
    we have two starting tackles
    we only had one starting DE

Long was the right choice

YodaRam Guest

I say Marc will be fine.

The O line will be as good as Pace makes them.

We have a new playbook, it''s the same as ther old playbook.

We have a new OC.
    Rambos, i take it that you believe Pace will be healthy. HHHHHHmmmmmmm....I hope that you are right. And for a full season. Not just a portion of it.

RAM ON!

Rambos, i take it that you believe Pace will be healthy. HHHHHHmmmmmmm....
    Rams LT Orlando Pace (torn labrum/rotator cuff) is expected to be fully medically cleared by training camp in late July.
    "It feels pretty good," he said. "When it first started, it was a slow process. But now it's a matter of lifting weights and getting it strong again, getting it back up to where
    This last injury has nothing to do with the first. This one as they say was a freak thing.

YodaRam Guest

This last injury has nothing to do with the first. This one as they say was a freak thing.
    Thanks, Rambos! His health still worries me. A lot of years in the trenches. I am hoping. Just a little worried.

RAM ON!