Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

King as are main nickel back. Can he improve enough to not be a weakness?

King shouldnt be playing in such a big role, with the season days away. Murphy was injured some time ago now. Spags may have expected King to be a lot better, but he has shown to be a liability, the weak link in the Rams defensive chain. To be honest, Ive never really took the time to ever watch King's play. He has not made any positive plays to my knowledge, to make me take notice. Ive noticed him a lot recently all for the wrong reasons.!
    I like what the Rams new FO has done in improving the roster, especially when drafting defensive players. Spags speciality is DB's. Hopefully the Rams will sign someone like Joselio Hanson soon to replace King,

Im just worried the Rams will have to rely on Justin King, if the Rams miss on Hanson or another intended target for nickel, King is defo going to have to play well.? COME ON RAMS---- Lets GET IT ON.

Im already having thoughts about D.Jackson going deep on us.?
    Apart from the above though, this is the first time in years when I have had this much confidence in the Rams.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: King as are main nickel back. Can he improve enough to not be a weakness?

I keep expecting the Rams to add another CB. I don't think its even a case of replacing King. I think the Rams need another CB on the active roster (at this point, I believe they only have four: Bartell, Fletcher, King and Harris).

general counsel is online now Registered User

AV is correct, we have four on the roster and that is certainly not enough. We will add another guy. Whether that guy is ahead of king remains to be seen. This is the area of the roster that scares me to death because while i think we are very very strong with bartell and fletcher, if either of them gets hurt we are in real trouble.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

richtree is offline Registered User

I think King is looking much better. It's more about scheme. If they have a 3WR set vs. out nickel the matchups need to rotate. Say if they have a smaller slot guy like Danny Amendola in the slot, King could cover and hit him.
    But if the opponent moves a big guy like, Fitzgerald into the slot. Then we have to decide if we will play zone or move King onto a smaller WR in the nickel schemes.

I think we will have a tough time vs the Cards and SF in the passing game because of there ability to have 2 big WR on the field. Fitz, Braylon, Crabtree, etc...and still have Big catching TE's ....

This makes 3rd downs dependent on the Line getting enough pressure so that our LBs and Nickel Backs can use there speed to make plays on the ball and not have to play the ball man to man.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    AV is correct, we have four on the roster and that is certainly not enough. We will add another guy. Whether that guy is ahead of king remains to be seen. This is the area of the roster that scares me to death because while i think we are very very strong with bartell and fletcher, if either of them gets hurt we are in real trouble.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Its such a shame because Murphy was going to be a good, good nickel CB. There must be a way to get someone who can just hold his own. If King is struggling in the preseason, then its even more likely it'll get worse when the intensity goes up. COME ON RAMS.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I was thinking along the similar lines of Ground dog 39 for a while there, but now I'm not so sure. King is still a young player and at this point a liability, but he needs more reps and time to get better. The question is, who will the Rams cut to open up a roster spot for someone like Hanson? I'm not saying that I'm against the team adding veterans, but not at the cost of the releasing another young prospect. I'm very interested to see how the plays out this situation.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

King made some good plays during the preseason, but he was horribly inconsistent and often looked completely lost. He scares me because I see him being exploited and as others have mentioned, looks like a major weak link. Hopefully he'll improve, but right now, there has got to be some better alternatives out there.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Whats the deal does Hanson want too much... I thought this would be done already.

The Eagles, with their glut of cornerbacks, released veteran nickel corner Joselio Hanson a few days ago. Hanson has passed through waivers so the Eagles will be paying his base salary for the year and he is free to sign with any team. Rumors swirled that the Rams were attempting to trade for Hanson during training camp, but evidently no one, including the Rams, was even offering a 7th round draft pick for Hanson and his fairly large contract.

Now that Hanson is free of that contract, he will have more suitors, but the Rams have indicated that they are interested in Hanson: “…if the price is right. But the team’s interest in him isn’t as high as some have portrayed.” Talk is cheap, especially within the NFL, but the Rams have twice declared interest in Hanson. The Rams salary cap situation is very tight, and would need for Hanson to be signed to a team and cap friendly deal to make the money work. But, with the Eagles paying his base salary this season, there is a better chance Hanson will take a lesser deal because he already has money coming to him from the Eagles.

This is a no-brainer move for the Rams to improve their depth at corner. The only stumbling block, and the Rams recognize this, is if some other team gives Hanson a very big offer.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Whats the deal does Hanson want too much... I thought this would be done already.
    The Rams have been very measured, very methodical, and very patient with their moves this preseason. If Hanson is being considered, I would imagine they are working out the details and making sure they get it right.

I did read somewhere that the Rams are not as interested in Hanson, as reports are saying.? God knows,? I dont believe anything now until its official.?

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I hope were not interested. People are overrating him so much its ridiculous.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I hope were not interested. People are overrating him so much its ridiculous.
    In what way have people been overrating Hanson? We're talking nickle back, not shutdown corner.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think what needs to be pointed out is that the Rams pass defense looked noticeably worse last year once King went down with his injury and we had Dockery and a rookie Murphy in the nickel role

And also, the times King has supposedly looked bad during the preseason he has been playing on the outside, rather than in his normal nickel position. King looked bad on a long pass from Painter to Garcon in the Colts game, but it was a perfect throw and catch. King also looked bad on some pass interferance penalties in the last game, but these were commonly thought to be very harsh penalties. I don't think the cause to worry is due to King's play, rather we should be worried that the only person behind Bartell, Fletcher and King is an aging Al Harris. We have Tim Atchison on the Practice Squad, but do we want to rely on an undrafted rookie free agent should one of Bartell or Fletcher go down? That's why we should look at some CBs

ManofGod is offline Registered User

We'll sign Hanson after week one based on our past history, that is if he is willing to sign at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think what needs to be pointed out is that the Rams pass defense looked noticeably worse last year once King went down with his injury and we had Dockery and a rookie Murphy in the nickel role

And also, the times King has supposedly looked bad during the preseason he has been playing on the outside, rather than in his normal nickel position. King looked bad on a long pass from Painter to Garcon in the Colts game, but it was a perfect throw and catch. King also looked bad on some pass interferance penalties in the last game, but these were commonly thought to be very harsh penalties. I don't think the cause to worry is due to King's play, rather we should be worried that the only person behind Bartell, Fletcher and King is an aging Al Harris. We have Tim Atchison on the Practice Squad, but do we want to rely on an undrafted rookie free agent should one of Bartell or Fletcher go down? That's why we should look at some CBs
    Very true Tomahawk.! The Rams secondary is good at starter level. Any major injuries though, it will become a liability until the replacement's get acclimatised to the speed of the game. The FO are doing a grand job. The weak positions within the roster, cannot be sufficiently fixed in such short notice. The Rams, like every team in the league, will just have to get on with it. King is fairly young also, so their is plenty of scope for improvement if he concentrates.?
    Last year it was Dockery who came in when players went down, so the team is in much better hands with King and whoever else they bring in.? I feel a bit better now, knowing King was decent last year in the nickel role. It give's me more hope for the team.?
    P.S. King has had a few shaky moments but us fans need to stop over reacting.!

GO RAMS> A.K.A The Philly Busters
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -09-07-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast