Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Kiper Re-Grades Rams' 2013 NFL Draft

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Kiper Re-Grades Rams' 2013 NFL Draft

Kiper re-grades Rams' 2013 NFL draft

January, 24, 2014
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

ST. LOUIS -- On Thursday, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. took a break from looking ahead to the 2014 draft and stopped to reflect on last year's class.

In this Insider piece, Insider Kiper went team-by-team, provided his grades from immediately after the draft and altered them as he now sees fit. For the St. Louis Rams, Kiper changed the team's original grade, actually opting to drop it slightly.

Kiper's original grade for the Rams in 2013 was an A- but after factoring in the performance of this year's group, he decided to move it down to a B+. Here's a small sample of what Kiper thought of the Rams' rookie class:

"St. Louis moved up for [Tavon] Austin, and, although he was underused, he still had 40 catches and has star potential. [Alec] Ogletree wasn't perfect by any means, but he started, didn't come off the field, made some big plays and is going to get better. [T.J.] McDonald is a starter going forward, and he did OK before and after he got hurt. [Zac] Stacy looks like a steal, and nearly went over 1,000 yards. He'll be the starter going forward."

To be honest, I was a bit surprised to see Kiper adjust his grade using his criteria. In addition to first-year performance, Kiper also took into account each team's undrafted free agents and how much the rookie class helped the team win games.

I have to believe Kiper downgraded the Rams because they were unable to piece together a winning record and Austin didn't quite meet the lofty expectations many had for him.

However, this rookie group played a big part in the games the Rams did win and the team got production from its share of undrafted rookies as well, particularly on special teams. Receiver Stedman Bailey also emerged late in the season and was the team's most consistent receiver in the final month or so.

I'm of the belief that fully judging any rookie class before three years doesn't give a full picture but either way it appears at worst the Rams found some key contributors and at best found some potential stars (Austin, Ogletree, Stacy) who could be cornerstone players well into the future.
    SWFCRAM and Randart like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Kiper Re-Grades Rams' 2013 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    [Alec] Ogletree wasn't perfect by any means, but he started, didn't come off the field, made some big plays and is going to get better.
    117 tackles
    7 forced fumbles
    10 passes defended
    11 run stuffs

I don't completely disagree with his assessment, but he's definitely selling Ogletree's rookie campaign a bit short.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its always 20/20 when looking backward--why there are so many arm-chair QBs the following Monday. Nevertheless, I put the 2013 draft for the Rams a solid {A}--how those players where used and put into a positive situate {D}.

How having Cook and Austin didn't run riot with both on the field is beyond me--I credit that lack of production to an unimaginative playbook and play calling. Once the Rams found their "Stacy" why both Austin/Cook didn't get more involved, I can't fathom. Just having Stacy in the back field should have had opposing defenses check for the run giving both receivers a second advantage coming at the snap.

Yes Ogletree could have had a better season, but unlike the college ranks, most NFL receivers are the elite; it being a bigger faster game in the pros--still he did a pretty good job and what's more he has a lot of upside with more experience in the coming seasons. Considering like the offense showed a lack of imagination, so did the defense. That said the front 4 became a dominate force in the NFL on sure talent and brute determination--and then there was Quinn.

Mel Kiper, re-graded the Rams draft, must have been a slow day with little do occupy his time. If he needs more to do to fill out his day, he can help the janitor staff clean toilets
    mde8352gorams and Randart like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    117 tackles
    7 forced fumbles
    10 passes defended
    11 run stuffs

I don't completely disagree with his assessment, but he's definitely selling Ogletree's rookie campaign a bit short.
    There were many times early in the season that Tree completely missed plays and was out of position a lot. Second half of the year he was much better. But yeah tree started off bad.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Ogletree was never "bad." He's a future Pro Bowl player.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Ogletree was never "bad." He's a future Pro Bowl player.
    At the start of the year he was bad vs the run. Teams constantly early on ran right at his position. As the year went on he was much better in that area of the game.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

At the start of the year he was bad vs the run. Teams constantly early on ran right at his position. As the year went on he was much better in that area of the game.
    I disagree with the use of the word "bad."

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I usually enjoy Mel's insights, but this one is totally useless. Anyone can sit back in retrospect and make assertions, some correct, others incorrect, such as the Ogletree comments. Frankly I think Mel's hair is getting a little heavy on his brain. Focus on 2014, we can do our own recaps of 2013.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I disagree with the use of the word "bad."
    I do too, especially since bad implies consistently bad, which he never was. If you're going to characterize Ogletree as "bad" because of some rookie mistakes here and there, you might as well put that label on every other player in the NFL who made a few bad plays on occasion.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Pair of Rams earn All Rookie honors

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

ST. LOUIS -- St. Louis Rams rookie linebacker Alec Ogletree put together one of the best debut seasons by a Ram in franchise history, leading the team with 117 tackles and finishing among the league leaders with six forced fumbles.

In his on-going efforts to keep tabs on the rookie class he spends so much time evaluating, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. recently named his 2013 NFL all-rookie team. While the Rams had a few players under consideration, it was Ogletree who landed a spot.

Here's what Kiper had to say about Ogletree:

"Has the talent to be a star, and actually finished just ahead of teammate James Laurinaitis with 117 total tackles."

From watching Ogletree back in the preseason to how he finished the regular season, you'd be hard-pressed to find any rookie who made steadier progress throughout the course of the season. In the early going, Ogletree struggled with reads, finding himself lost from down to down and struggled even more to get off blocks and make tackles.

By the end of the season, it was clear the experience Ogletree had gained had made him more instinctive and he was showing signs of improvement in using his hands and shedding blocks.

All along, Ogletree's knack for making splash plays never waned. In addition to his six forced fumbles he returned an interception 98 yards for a touchdown, had a sack and a half and 10 pass breakups.

Beyond the all-rookie team, Kiper also ranked the top 30 rookies in the league. Ogletree came in at No. 9 on Kiper's list and No. 6 among defenders. That actually seems a little low, given his overall production. Either way, the Rams clearly have a solid building block in Ogletree, who only figures to improve as time goes on.

While he didn't land a spot on Kiper's all-rookie team, running back Zac Stacy did merit mention on the top 30 list. Stacy is No. 21 among rookies on Kiper's list but finished behind Green Bay's Eddie Lacy and Cincinnati's Giovani Bernard for the two running back spots.

spot on
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-25-2014 at 06:13 PM.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I do too, especially since bad implies consistently bad, which he never was. If you're going to characterize Ogletree as "bad" because of some rookie mistakes here and there, you might as well put that label on every other player in the NFL who made a few bad plays on occasion.
    I'd say over-exuberant on some plays with poor angles. But not bad. Unless you are talking Super Fly, then that 'bad' is good
    HUbison and r8rh8rmike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I'd say over-exuberant on some plays with poor angles. But not bad. Unless you are talking Super Fly, then that 'bad' is good
    Ogletree will soon be Super Fly bad.
    macrammer likes this.

Sorry forgot the semantics battles this board is famous for. He made several mistakes on plays early in the season. I never said he was a bad player or had a bad future or was a bad person. But to say he wasn't bad vs the run early in the season implies you had blinders on or you're wearing those rose colored glasses. He was coached up and progressed through those mistakes and was one of our better defenders late in the season.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

He definitely played badly the first quarter of the season, especially against the run, but as he matured and learned on the field he was actually one of our better players on D. I do think Kiper is spot on about Austin though, he was definitely underused but showed huge potential when given the opportunities. One thing Kiper was wrong on was our grade, our draft definitely deserved at least an A-
    Fargo Ram Fan and Mikey like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think we're nitpicking. Though Kiper downgraded us slightly, his comments about Stacy, Ogletree, McDonald and Austin were all generally positive. Maybe he wasn't effusive in his praise towards Ogletree, but he hardly bad-mouthed him.

And more importantly than any opinion piece, we have 4 bona fide solid starting players moving forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast