RamWraith is offline Registered User

Kirwan on Sirius radio

Pat Kirwan (former GM of the Jets) is on NFL Radio (Sirius) everyday on the Movin' the Chains show with Tim Ryan.

Recently a caller asked about the Rams QB situation.

Here's what he said about Fitzpatrick: "The 3rd QB, Ryan Fitzpatrick, has been targeted by a number of teams in the league that I know of, who are just waiting for that guy to become a free agent someday. They're not putting silver shoes on this guy, but they think he has a chance to be a very good player."

Prediction: If Kirwan is correct about the interest in Fitz, there is a good chance the Rams will be able to trade him next spring. He will be an Restricted Free Agent. They can tender him at the 2nd round level and then work out a trade. I don't think they could get a 2nd round pick for him (although after the Kennison trade to New Orleans, anything is possible) , but a 3rd or 4th rounder seems about right for him. If they only tender him at the lowest level, he could sign with another team and the Rams would only get a 7th rounder for him. That's why I believe they will tender him at a higher level (2nd round) and then agree to take less for him. This assumes Bulger is signed long term.

Also, Kirwan is optimistic about the Rams D-Line young players.

He said: "The Rams are 8 deep in the D-Line. If they lost all their starters and had to go into a game with Cliff Ryan, Keith Jackson, Claude Wroten, Victor A., they'd survive."

Not sure if he's right, but Kirwan really likes the young D-linemen the Rams have. He's talked them up on other occasions I've heard.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Kirwan on Sirius radio

Really hard to believe that somebody would give up a number two for Fitz unless they think he could come in and start right away. He's not even our number two QB yet. As much as I like the kid i'm just not sold as him being a starter yet.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Really hard to believe that somebody would give up a number two for Fitz unless they think he could come in and start right away. He's not even our number two QB yet. As much as I like the kid i'm just not sold as him being a starter yet.
    thats not what they are saying, they are signing we would do a sign and trade for a later round pick, but it would mean us getting more then a 7th rounder

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

this might just be me, but i think Fitz could be our qb of the future. The problem is how long can we keep him on the team as a backup, since marc is the qb of the present. this is where the problem comes in, slap a tender on him to get a price for him, or keep him for the future.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barring any unforseen major injury, bulger is the qb for the next 5 or 6 years at least. In the nfl, that is an eternity, consisting of both the present and the future.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Prediction: If Kirwan is correct about the interest in Fitz, there is a good chance the Rams will be able to trade him next spring. He will be an Restricted Free Agent. They can tender him at the 2nd round level and then work out a trade. I don't think they could get a 2nd round pick for him (although after the Kennison trade to New Orleans, anything is possible) , but a 3rd or 4th rounder seems about right for him.
    I agree with the strategy of tendering him high so that we don't lose him to an offer sheet with seventh round compensation, but "a 3rd or 4th rounder seems about right" in a subsequent trade? No way.

Not sure who the prediction was authored by, but interest or not, that sounds like another case of a Rams fan overvaluing one of our players. The only team that I think really would have been inclined to overspend on him in a trade would have been Detroit since Martz was so crazy about him, but they just drafted Drew Stanton as their potential QB of the future. I think a case could have been made for Buffalo given Fairchild's presence up there, but between Losman, Nall, and now Edwards, they're fine as well.

Chances are we tender him, keep him, and then he walks as an unrestricted free agent the next offseason, although I guess something on draft day could happen if a team gets into the middle rounds and realizes they aren't too high on the remaining QBs (ala the Tampa/McCown trade a few years ago). That being said, I doubt it'd be anything higher than a fifth rounder, and that might still be a bit generous.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!