Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Klop, Bennett and Pisa: Do we still have hope?

I think three of the most disappointing players on the Rams roster are Joe Klopfenstein, Drew Bennett and Pisa Tinoisamoa. The Rams invested a lot (second round pick; FA$) on these guys, and they have not lived up to expectations. My question is, should we hold out hope for them?

Klop - given his skill set, he may be the best suited player for the H-back role that Al Saunders likes to utilize. Two questions: (1) will the Rams elevate him to this role at the risk of taking touches away from McMichael, and (2) has Klop's confidence been eroded to the point of no return?

Bennett - his first year was an unqualified bust, and he does not seem to be a great fit for the Saunders offense. Hindsight is 20/20 on this one, but is there any reason for hope? Anyone?

Pisa - can he stay healthy? That's the big question. When he's right, he's a good player. But will he ever be right for a full season, or anything close to a full season? Please spare me the SS suggestions. He's a weak-side OLB or nothing.

Thoughts?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Klop, Bennett and Pisa: Do we still have hope?

no, NO, and naw.

no on Klop. Thought he was drafted too high to begin with.

NO on Bennett. What a waste of cap space. STILL.

Naw on Pisa. Great motor. Big heart. Injury prone.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Klop - given his skill set, he may be the best suited player for the H-back role that Al Saunders likes to utilize. Two questions: (1) will the Rams elevate him to this role at the risk of taking touches away from McMichael, and (2) has Klop's confidence been eroded to the point of no return?
    I won't label him a bust just yet because none of our offensive players have really wowed under Linehan except Jackson. Give him a year under Saunders to see if he's truly a bust.

Bennett - his first year was an unqualified bust, and he does not seem to be a great fit for the Saunders offense. Hindsight is 20/20 on this one, but is there any reason for hope? Anyone?
    Same goes for Bennett. The dude is a possession type receiver, so I'm not sure if he's a good fit for this offense yet. If he can come up with big third down catches and redzone TDs, then he'll be fine.

Pisa - can he stay healthy? That's the big question. When he's right, he's a good player. But will he ever be right for a full season, or anything close to a full season? Please spare me the SS suggestions. He's a weak-side OLB or nothing.
    I've never been a huge fan of Pisa. To me, he's just another lovie smith-type player. Smallish, really fast, and not a strong tackler or great coverage guy. Yes, I know he's racked up a lot of tackles, but he also misses a lot. Like all the other lovie-type players- just not worth the high draft pick. The injury problems are probably a reflection of his being under-sized.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Pisa is great when he plays.

Bennett I still have faith in and utilized the right way he would have a much better season.

Klop I'm not so sure about hes got the potential, it will be interesting to see how Saunders uses him

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great post Moloch41. I agree Klop and Bennet need more time before we can draw final conclusions. However, Saunders new offense may not be the best system for them as neither are speed demons. Although they are currently too expensive, we can use their depth at TE and WR.

I do agree with your position on Pisa, he is the classic Lovie Smith type OLB. I must say that we were a much better defense in that era than now under JH. Of course our offense was more potent and that had to help. My take on Pisa is that if we get better upfront that may help him a bit on the pass rush and coverage. I recall in his first year his play in space was pretty good as he came up with a few interceptions (someone will probably point out he only had 1 or 2). The final point on Pisa is that he's under contract for a few more years so cutting him would be too big a cap hit.

I know the question was talent skills not contract, but we need to work on improving these guys, providing they work in our system, so we're not constantly looking for new talent.

Go Rams!:r

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Very tough questions???

Bennett gets 1 more season to prove or not prove his worth.

Klop has 2 years under his belt...this is his last chance.

Pisa's health issues make me feel like we should cut our losses and move on.

Ramer Guest

I agree with Moloch41. Good post!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I feel pretty bad for Klopfenstein. I was a huge fan of that pick in the second round, as I think he fit perfectly with what we needed at the tight end position. The potential to be an adequate blocker, but more importantly, a guy who could come off the line and threaten the middle of the field in the passing game. I thought he had a pretty solid outing as a rookie but then he got buried behind the depth chart when Randy McMichael became available. The Rams in 2007 failed to use McMichael enough, so how on earth are they going to adequately use their #2 tight end? I think calling him a bust to this point is inaccurate; rather, I feel he's simply been the victim of inopportune timing because of the McMichael signing. He has the physical abilities to succeed at this level, IMO. If this organization elects to let him go at some point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere and do well.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Pisa I realy like him. He plays hurt and got a strong will. He get knock for being hurt allot but just before he sign his 5 year contract he had never miss a game. Over the last two season he has been plagued by injuries.
    :ramlogo:

Drew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I feel pretty bad for Klopfenstein. I was a huge fan of that pick in the second round, as I think he fit perfectly with what we needed at the tight end position. The potential to be an adequate blocker, but more importantly, a guy who could come off the line and threaten the middle of the field in the passing game. I thought he had a pretty solid outing as a rookie but then he got buried behind the depth chart when Randy McMichael became available. The Rams in 2007 failed to use McMichael enough, so how on earth are they going to adequately use their #2 tight end? I think calling him a bust to this point is inaccurate; rather, I feel he's simply been the victim of inopportune timing because of the McMichael signing. He has the physical abilities to succeed at this level, IMO. If this organization elects to let him go at some point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere and do well.
    agree wholeheartedly...i too wanted him with our second pick aswell and feel he hasn`t been given the oppurtunity that his 2nd round picking would suggest he would get....same for Leonard,folks would have been less harsh on them if they werent picked in the second,they both have the skills to succeed but the rams coaching staff have yet to show that they know how to use them to their strengths and contribute to the level youd expect from a second rounder!

Drew Guest

i still have faith in D.B. maybe i just gotta root for a fellow drew,i dont know...but im looking forward to seeing what Al does with him,he CAN play!

Pisa-well he has a heart as big as Texas,is a real shame about how he gets hurt so much as he may have ironed out his lil weaknesses in play if he wasnt so stop/start in his career thro injuries!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think there is hope for all three.

With Pisa the injuries are obviously a huge problem, but it's difficult to predict whether he'll keep having them. One shoulder heals, and then the other one gets hurt. So who knows?

Bennett deserves another year. He did pretty well before he came here. Some people say that his stats were high because the Titans didn't have anybody else, but he still had to get those yards one way or another.

Klopfenstein has mostly just disappointed me as a blocker. I think Nick is right that we were not seeing his pass-catching abilities much because he was the number two tight end, and even the number one tight end wasn't getting thrown to all that much. McMichael had his lowest reception and yards totals since his rookie year.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think there is hope for all three.

With Pisa the injuries are obviously a huge problem, but it's difficult to predict whether he'll keep having them. One shoulder heals, and then the other one gets hurt. So who knows?

Bennett deserves another year. He did pretty well before he came here. Some people say that his stats were high because the Titans didn't have anybody else, but he still had to get those yards one way or another.

Klopfenstein has mostly just disappointed me as a blocker. I think Nick is right that we were not seeing his pass-catching abilities much because he was the number two tight end, and even the number one tight end wasn't getting thrown to all that much. McMichael had his lowest reception and yards totals since his rookie year.
    I agree with just about all that was said. I have faith in Bennet and think a healthy team will translate to success for him, as well as Leonard. Klopfenstein was put behind because of McMichael, so he can't be unfairly labeled. He has a lot of talent, and I think Saunders will be able to utilize Holt, Bruce, Bennet, McMichael, Jackson, and Klopfenstein a lot. A healthy team would help Klop a lot, and Bennet and Pisa. Pisa I'm not so sure how he will do when he comes back from all the injuries. I hope he can return to form though. We have put a lot of money in to him and he has a great heart. We wouldn't want to see him go.

As I have said before, many of the members of this board can't expect success with so many injuries (mainly on the O-line) which has translated to a 3-13 season. We aren't a typical 3-13 team. Labeling players (mainly Bennet) a bust is ridiculous. He didn't just start to suck once he got here. He has been nagged by injuries, to himself and to the QB position, which in turn were mainly caused by O-line and RB injury problems.
    Last edited by prof22693; -02-21-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I think there is hope for all three in 2008. Pisa's role will diminish as Culbertson or McGarikle step up (I hope). But Pisa is a gamer and should provide depth and experience.

I agree with many who say that circumstances have hurt Klop. Had McMichael not come along Klop may have had a better year last year. Yes, his blocking was poor at times, but I attribute that to a dwindling confidence as the year wore on.

Bennett missed a lot of time to injury and never got into any kind of offensive groove, but you could say the same for the whole offense last season. Let's see what a second season brings. With better health and a better scheme Bennett should shine.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree, Klop caught a bad break when we signed Randy. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Klop do well if he goes elsewhere.

Bennett was hurt so we don't really know what he has.

I don't have much faith in Pisa staying healthy anymore sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-21-2008, 03:24 PM