RamWraith is offline Registered User

Knee might bother Holt all season

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/28/2007

It's becoming increasingly evident that wide receiver Torry Holt won't be completely healthy Sept. 9 when the Rams open the regular season against Carolina.

He might not be all year.

Holt had surgery to repair torn cartilage in his right knee. Six months later, he says the joint is "about 70, 80 percent."

"It's just one of those deals where I'm not recovering as quick as I used to," said Holt, 31. "I have to get used to that and stay patient. ... I don't know if it'll ever heal all the way, but I think it will heal enough where it will allow me to go out and play."

Still, Rams coach Scott Linehan has noted improvement.

"The last two days I've seen more like the Torry Holt we've all grown accustomed to," Linehan said. "It's becoming more and more encouraging every day."

Holt, a six-time Pro Bowler, has piled up 712 catches and 10,675 yards in eight seasons. His knee bothered him last season, when he dipped below 1,300 receiving yards for the first time since his rookie season, and he skipped the Pro Bowl before having the operation.

Although limited at times, Holt has been on the field throughout training camp and played in the first two exhibition games, in which he had six catches for 52 yards. He still is experiencing some swelling and soreness, and he didn't play Friday in Oakland.

"It feels good some days, and some days it doesn't feel as good," Holt said. "I'm getting somewhat used to that and getting to the point where I can manage it pretty well."

Sitting out one exhibition game, Holt stressed, is no big deal ó and in his case, probably wise.

"I'm just taking it light," he said. "I'm trying to really continue to work it and keep it strong and at the same time get some reps, which I'm able to do (in practice). That's going to help me ... as I get ready to go for the opener."

JACKSON RESTED

Running back Steven Jackson has suited up, taken the field for the opening series, and then exited after one play in each of the past two exhibition games. And he's just fine with that.

"I'm getting a lot of work during the week in practice; that's when Coach wants me to get my reps," said Jackson, who isn't expected to play Thursday vs. Kansas City. "I do feel rested, and ... Coach has done a great job of making sure I don't take any unnecessary hits."

BLACKOUT LIFTED

The Rams purchased the 900 or so remaining tickets for the annual Governor's Cup game against the Chiefs, avoiding a second local television blackout of the preseason.

It will air on KTVI (Channel 2).

Under NFL rules, if exhibition and regular-season games aren't sold out 72 hours before kickoff, they can't be televised in the home market. The Rams' game against San Diego on Aug. 18 was blacked out here.

CONWELL VISITS

Former Rams tight end Ernie Conwell, 35, visited Rams Park on Monday and underwent a physical exam. Conwell, released by New Orleans in February, had knee surgery in the offseason and still is a few weeks from being ready to play.

Conwell was the Rams' second-round draft choice in 1996 and spent seven years here. He caught 146 passes for 1,574 yards and scored 12 touchdowns. He signed with the Saints in 2003 as a free agent.

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams, who have one cut to make today, are believed to be working on an injury settlement with guard/center Dave Pearson (knee). He and guard Richie Incognito (ankle) didn't practice Monday. ... Wide receiver Dominique Thompson (ribs) was back in a red "no contact" jersey. He experienced some discomfort after participating in contact drills Sunday.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: Knee might bother Holt all season

I'm gonna be goin the game, but good for the Rams for picking up the tickets. It would be rediculous if 900 seats left in a 75000 seat stadium blacked out a PRESEASON game