View Poll Results: Applying hindsight, who would you draft?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Jackson

24 96.00%
  • Kevin Jones

0 0%
  • Julius Jones

0 0%
  • Mewelde Moore

0 0%
  • somebody else (who?)

1 4.00%
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Knowing what you know right now...

Who would you draft with the Rams' first pick?

lakerams Guest

Re: Knowing what you know right now...

Steven Jackson, no question.

I assume you are talking about just the 2004 draft.

SFCRamFan Guest

Wouldn't change it. He seems to fit our offense best. As long as Martz is the coach we would not use a flashy 30+ carry a game back anyway.

viper is offline Registered User

I was and still am very pleased with the Jackson pick. Marshall has been great and his career will run its course. Jackson, in his own right, brings much to the table as well. It seems a luxury in this offense to have a big bruising back with good hands, speed, cutting ability and vision.

A right tackle came to mind, but, I don't think I would have went that way knowing Marshall's injury history and the fact that his career is winding down. Our running game wasn't doing very well last year. Jackson has reenergized the running game this year.
    Last edited by viper; -12-08-2004 at 01:27 PM.

moklerman Guest

Asking draft questions about the Rams is such a loaded gun. Value-wise, I would have taken Julias in second, saved the pick that was traded and used the first on a one of the other multitude of needs that the Rams have.

Jackson, J.Jones and K. Jones all look like they're pretty solid so far but I don't think taking a rb in the first round is prudent for a team that traditionally doesn't feature the rb. I think with the way the league has caught up to the Rams schemes that a solid back that doesn't get injured would fare just as well as a superstar who doesn't get the ball a lot.

The money for a 2nd round back would have been easier on our cap situation too. I didn't follow the draft closely enough to see who would have been there if the Rams passed on Jackson so I can't say who I would have taken instead of him.

All of this analysis is basically pointless when you put it in real life terms though. If the Rams would have passed on the "no-brainer" pick, then I'm not terriblly confident about them actually choosing someone worth a bean in his place. So, in theory there were better values at rb in later rounds, but I really don't trust the war room for the Rams to find that talent.

RealRam is offline Registered User

I was and still am very pleased with the Jackson pick. Marshall has been great and his career will run its course. Jackson, in his own right, brings much to the table as well. It seems a luxury in this offense to have a big bruising back with good hands, speed, cutting ability and vision. --Viper3

Easily our best hope for the future. May he listen well and learn even better.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Asking draft questions about the Rams is such a loaded gun. Value-wise, I would have taken Julias in second, saved the pick that was traded and used the first on a one of the other multitude of needs that the Rams have.
    I'm assuming when you say you would have "taken Julius in second," you mean you would have taken him in the second round. Unfortunately, we didn't have a second round pick in the 2004 draft - we traded that to acquire Kyle Turley. So taking Julius in the second wouldn't have been possible with what we had, unless we make another trade to acquire a second round pick. But with the picks we had, it was either trade up and get Jackson or take someone else and look for a running back in Round Three or during Day Two.

Interestingly enough, and for no other purpose than to just mention it in passing, had we not used that first round pick on a running back, we could have had any of the following late first round or early to mid second round players: defensive ends Jason Babin or Antwan Odom (a moderate reach at that point), wide receiver Rashaun Woods, tight ends Ben Watson or Ben Troupe, or guards Chris Snee or Justin Smiley. Then, with the fourth round pick that we would have saved by not trading up to draft Jackson, we could have had return man J.R. Reed (currently a dangerous man in Philly), DE/LB Nathaniel Adibi, or fullback Mike Karney. Just some food for thought. Personally, I wouldn't have changed how we handled that trade and acquisition, but for those that question it, I thought I'd mention some of the alternatives.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman Guest

Wow, shows you how much I followed the draft as well as how few picks we had. I guess this was already covered earlier in the year but that's really kind of bad to not have a second or fourth(I guess since we traded it to get Jackson).

All in all, the question has to be asked from two angles. I was interpreting the question as would you still take Jackson or one of the other rookie rb's out there. In actuality, Jackson was the best value we could get, especially with the lack of draft picks. Had the Rams not traded up, I don't know that the Rams would have been able to find any value with the picks they had.

Any no-brainers that the Rams are presented with in the draft are very welcome in my book.

If you buy into that draft pick score card that Jimmy Johnson is always credited with making, the Rams trading their first round pick and a forth round pick to move up and take Jackson was fairly even. The Rams' first and fourth is worth 749 points on the chart, while the Bengals' 24th overall pick was worth 740. Even after trading that, we still have a compensatory fourth round pick to use, which was probably why we felt we were able to trade a fourth to move up to get Jackson.

Anyways, trading a second to get Turley doesn't look like that great of a move now, but at the time, assuming Turley would play out the majority of his contract, I thought it was a strong decision, especially in a draft that wasn't deep at all in tackle prospects.

moklerman Guest

this is definitley an impossible question to answer realistically. If you(a person, not you personally) just want to know if we're all in love with Jackson it makes it easier to answer. Like I said, if you base it on logic things look a lot differently than if you base it on the Rams recent draft strategy.

I liked the Turley deal also. I was shocked at how poorly he started his Rams career and overall somewhat unimpressed compared with my impression of him as a Saints player. It was the right move but ultimately doesn't look like it will pan out.

DJRamFan Guest

Easily the right choice and I have no problems with it. The only thing that concerns me is the fact is yardage will decrease behind a spotty offensive line.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Way too early in these guys' careers to make any comparisons, not to mention the fact they they've all been given different opportunities as far as playing time goes. Having said that, based on what I've seen so far this season, I do not think the Rams made the wrong decision.

As far as the Turley deal, I didn't like it at the time....I had serious doubts about Turley's character and attitude based on what I had read and heard...and I must say that based on what I have seen in his tenure as a Ram, my suspicions were well founded. In my opinion, Turley's been one of the most unwarrantedly overhyped players that ever joined the Rams.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

I think I would have preferred to see Turley in his second year in this offense before determining if he really lived up to his billing.