Thread: Korte Blog

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Korte Blog

October 16, 2008
    Haslett isn't fretting over Cowboys' quarterback situation
    Coach Jim Haslett said the Rams’ defensive game plan won’t change whether Tony Romo or Brad Johnson starts at quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday.

Romo reportedly wants to attempt playing this week despite a broken pinkie finger on his throwing hand that initially was believed to keep him out for four weeks.

“You know what, if you are going to play a great football team — and they are a great football team with a lot of talent — you want to play their best,’’ Haslett said. “I know he’s a tough guy, I know he’s a competitor. If he plays, we’ll deal with it.’’

Haslett said the Cowboys’ offense is the same whether Romo or Johnson are taking the snaps from center.

“It’s not going to effect in any way how we prepare,’’ Haslett said. “We’re preparing the same way for Brad. Brad is going to run their offense.’’

Haslett said the biggest difference between Romo and Johnson is the ability to scramble.

“I’m a fan of Brad Johnson,’’ Haslett said. “I’ve played against him a number of times in Tampa (Bay) and Minnesota. He’s got a great release, quick release, he’s a big body guy, 6-foot-5, probably 235 (pounds). He’ll run the offense extremely well. For a guy that’s 40, because everyone says he can’t, the guy moves around pretty well, he slides in and out of the pocket. He’s not a threat like Tony to run, but he gets in and out of the pocket well, he slides, he’s a smart guy who has good arm strength and he’ll do a good job.’’

-- Left tackle Orlando Pace didn’t participate in practice on Thursday due to a sore quad muscle.

Pace was optimistic that he would be able to play against the Cowboys.

“I think it’ll be fine,’’ Pace said. “I’m going to get out tomorrow and practice a little bit and see how it feels and go from them.’’

Pace said his quad feels good, but he has yet to see how it holds up under game-like conditions.

“I feel good, just walking around and doing a little running,’’ Pace said. “I’ve felt pretty good the last couple of days, but I haven’t pushed off against anybody since the game.’’

Haslett said Pace could play against the Cowboys even if he doesn’t practice on Friday.

“If he’s ready to go, then he’ll play,’’ Haslett said.

If Pace can’t play, Adam Goldberg will start in his place. Goldberg started at right tackle against the Cowboys last season in a game that quarterback Marc Bulger was sacked three times.

-- Though it’s not on the official injury report, Haslett already has ruled wide receiver Drew Bennett (foot), cornerback Tye Hill (knee) and running back Antonio Pittman (lower leg) as out against the Cowboys.

October 15, 2008
    Looker diagnosed with rare condition
    Wide receiver Dane Looker has been diagnosed with an enlarged and elongated artery in his brain.

Looker said neurosurgeon Dr. Ralph Dacey from Barnes-Jewish West Hospital has diagnosed him as having a dolichoectatic artery in his brain.

The condition won’t keep Looker, who took part in practice on Wednesday, from continuing his NFL career.

“It’s something that I have to monitor for the rest of my life and make sure that it doesn’t continue to grow in size and expand,’’ Looker said. “He said that there is only about 150 cases of this is the world that they’ve found, and most likely I’ll live my life and the artery will never change in size.

“He said in some instances there is a chance for a brain hemorrhage or stroke, but that is a very, very, very limited chance. It’s very unlikely, so it is not something I am going to have to worry about every day.’’

Looker said he’ll need to undergo an MRI every six months to a year for the rest of his life to make sure the condition isn’t worsening.

An anomaly that was feared to be an aneurysm was discovered on Looker’s brain during a CAT scan that he underwent as a precaution after sustaining a concussion on Sept. 28 against the Buffalo Bills.

Looker said he had to lobby to keep the Rams from placing him on injured reserve, which would have ended his season.

Looker said he was disappointed to find that his role has been reduced with the return of rookie Keenan Burton from a knee injury and the emergence of rookie Donnie Avery as a starter.

“I was fighting very hard to come back and play football, and today, to be honest with you, I’m a little disappointed that it looks like my role is going to be highly diminished,’’ Looker said.

-- Burton, who had been sidelined due to a knee injury, got a lot of work in practice on Wednesday.

Rams coach Jim Haslett said Burton, Torry Holt, Avery, Derek Stanley and Dante Hall will be the five wide receivers who are active against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday.

-- Quarterback Marc Bulger showed no signs of being bothered by an injured index finger on his throwing hand during passing drills in practice.

Bulger didn’t take any snaps from center (he simply held the ball at the start of each play) early in practice, but he later handled snaps with no problem.

“It was a little sore the last couple days, but it is getting better everyday, which is positive,’’ Bulger said. “We were a little cautious today taking snaps, but I was able to throw the ball fine.”

-- Left tackle Orlando Pace suited up for practice, but didn’t do much due to a thigh injury.

-- Running back Antonio Pittman, who has been sidelined with a broken bone in his lower leg, returned to practice on a limited basis on Wednesday.

-- All signs point to cornerback Fakhir Brown starting against the Cowboys. Brown was working with the starting unit on Wednesday in his first practice since being re-signed by the Rams on Monday.

-- Cornerback Tye Hill (knee) did some running on the sideline during practice on Wednesday. He appears to be a week or two away from returning from arthroscopic knee surgery.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Korte Blog

I am excited to finally see Burton and Avery on the same field again. We saw what happened last time when we had both these guys on the field at the same time. I'm excited!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I am excited to finally see Burton and Avery on the same field again. We saw what happened last time when we had both these guys on the field at the same time. I'm excited!
    I'm really excited also to see Burton and Avery. It would be nice if they can play a big part against the Cowboys this week.
    They could be the new 'Dynamic Duo' in the making!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

itsguud is offline Registered User

Shouldn't Haslett be planning a bit differently for these two QB's one of which can air it out and scramble and the other who can make nice quick throws can't move and can't throw deep?

This worries me a little

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Shouldn't Haslett be planning a bit differently for these two QB's one of which can air it out and scramble and the other who can make nice quick throws can't move and can't throw deep?

This worries me a little
    If Dallas is foolish enough to start ROMO we will knock him out of the game early anyway. So we will see Brad Johnson one way or another.