Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Kroenke keeps quiet about Rams' future

Rambos is offline Registered User

Kroenke keeps quiet about Rams' future

By Arash Markazi
    St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke is a smart business man. The real estate mogul, worth $3.2 billion according to Forbes, didn’t create his sports empire by making hallow promises or sticking his foot in his mouth in public.

That is why Kroenke made no assurances about the future of the Rams in St. Louis while he introduced Jeff Fisher as the new coach of the team on Tuesday.

The man who owns the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, NHL’s Colorado Avalanche, MLS’s Colorado Rapids and the English Premier League’s Arsenal Football Club is a master negotiator and he is preparing for what will be a lengthy negotiation with the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission.

The St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission has until Feb. 1 to give the Rams a preliminary proposal for how it plans to give the Edward Jones Dome "top-tier" status, which basically means it has to rank in the top quarter of NFL stadiums when it comes to modern amenities such as suites, club seats and lounges. Edward Jones Dome opened in 1995 and has quickly gone from one of the league's newest stadiums to one of the oldest after 21 new stadiums were built for 22 teams during that time.

The Rams can either agree to the offer a month later or reject it and make a counteroffer by May 1, which is the most likely scenario. The commission can then either agree to the counteroffer by June 1 or reject it and go to arbitration, which again seems like the direction this thing is heading toward. If such a scenario unfolds, the lease could be voided and the Rams could rent the Dome on a year-to-year basis or choose to move elsewhere.

The bottom line is the Rams can get out of their lease agreement with the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission after the 2014 season if the Edward Jones Dome doesn't rank in the top quarter of NFL stadiums. It seems anything outside of a new stadium would make that impossible and getting public funding for such an expensive undertaking in St. Louis, which is still paying off the original construction debt of the Dome, is highly unlikely.

An interesting subplot in all of this is that when Kroenke became the majority owner of the St. Louis Rams in August 2010 for $750 million, after being a minority owner since 1995, he agreed to turn over operational and financial control of the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche to his 30-year-old son, Josh, and give up his majority stake in the teams by December 2014. NFL rules prevent owners from owning major league franchises in other pro football cities.

Kroenke is a longtime friend and business partner of fellow Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, who owns AEG and is the man behind Farmers Field, the $1.1 billion proposed football stadium in downtown Los Angeles. Would Kroenke sell a majority stake in the Rams to Anschutz instead of giving up his majority stake in the Nuggets and Avalanche and then make a play down the road to buy the Broncos?

It is just one of many scenarios and questions hovering around St. Louis and the ongoing saga of the NFL’s return to Los Angeles.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: Kroenke keeps quiet about Rams' future

How many St louis based Ram fans would root for a team that moves to LA? Just asking
    RamDez and LA Rammer like this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    How many St louis based Ram fans would root for a team that moves to LA? Just asking
    very few, very few just saying
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

*sigh*

Good to see fellow Rams fans going out of their way to make other Rams fans feel completely unwelcome.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

wake up broken, it has nothing to do with that it has something to do with it being a real possibility!

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

The real question is how many St louis based Ram fans would spend 17 years *****ing and moaning about how the team needs to come back home? Just asking
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    The real question is how many St louis based Ram fans would spend 17 years *****ing and moaning about how the team needs to come back home? Just asking
    lol true story bro

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    wake up broken, it has nothing to do with that it has something to do with it being a real possibility!
    You know what. Responding to this thread was a mistake. Rather than posting the extensive rant I typed, I'm going to refuse to stoop to this level and I'm just going to resume ignoring the bitter, ignorant garbage that has been going back and forth for the last several years on this.

Christ, aren't we all supposed to be fans of the same team?

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    You know what. Responding to this thread was a mistake. Rather than posting the extensive rant I typed, I'm going to refuse to stoop to this level and I'm just going to resume ignoring the bitter, ignorant garbage that has been going back and forth for the last several years on this.

Christ, aren't we all supposed to be fans of the same team?
    Guy's, sorry for asking s question around such sensitive issue. There is no subversive, deep agenda. I came to peace with Rams in STL long long ago.

My question was simply one borne out of curiosity. I became Rams fan at 8 years old and the history and gallentry are in my blood. For me, right or wrong, I am a Rams fan...no matter where they play.

I was wondering if the St Louis fans have caught this bug (curse ??) too. That is all.

I am fine with Rams staying where they are. Again, my apologies for offending any Ram fans from wherever.
    Last edited by macrammer; -01-20-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    BrokenWing likes this.

Alright, you're right. It's easy for me to get pissed off with this subject because of all the stuff that's been flung around on between fans on the matter.

I can't really give you an answer, except to say that I think the Rams fan base in St.Louis is a lot larger than people give it credit for, they're just tired of seeing horrible football on the field. I think a fair amount of people would follow them if they left St.Louis, but I don't know anywhere near a number. I know my dad has said he won't, but he's less of a hardcore fan of football than I am. I plan to follow them if they leave, but that's me.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I for one would root for them in LA. BUT I would move to LA with them ( or as close to LA as I am to the Lou ). If the Rams moved I would have to move.

But I doubt they go anywhere. Of course he is going to keep silent about it. Why would he talk about a ongoing negotiation?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

alright i see this is completely a sensitive one. i'm sure the camaraderie will continue among us and bridge our two cities. let's think of this in positive terms. if you guys come down to LA the course of hospitality will be in effect.

The Los Angeles Rams of Anaheim from St. Louis
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    If the Rams moved I would have to move.
    I like where your head's at.

The only thing that's for sure with the Rams is nothing's for sure.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Rams could play in Alaska and I would be a fan, considering I am a Ram fan from NJ.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I would.

I dont want the Rams to move at all but ill support them no matter where they end up. It all business either way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast