RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Kyle Boller is comfortable as a backup for Rams

Kyle Boller is comfortable as a backup for Rams
    Veteran still feels capable of being starting NFL QB
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- When center Jason Brown was signed by the St. Louis Rams, he matter-of-factly accused his former teammate, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Kyle Boller, of becoming gun shy.

Now that Boller also has joined the Rams, how are the two players getting along?

For a few seconds, Boller tried to act like a rift existed between himself and Brown.

Boller jokingly told reporters that Brown refused to snap him the ball during practice, but then quickly fessed up.

"No, I'm just kidding," Boller said. "I'm good with Jason. Jason was trying to make a point, and I've talked with Jason about that. It took us maybe five seconds to get over.

"I've been with him at Baltimore for four years. We have a great relationship. He's a great player, a great person and that's not going to be an issue at all."

Brown seemed apologetic as he talked about his relationship with Boller.

"Kyle and I are great friends," Brown said. "Of course, everybody, they might have tendencies or some type of flaws in their game. I have flaws in my game. I live in a glass house. I cannot cast any stones. I really can't.

"Kyle, (we're) best of friends. We still go out together, went out just the other night."

Back in March, Brown was using Boller as an example of what happens when an offensive line consistently fails to protect the quarterback.

Brown said, "Kyle Boller with the Ravens, I love him to death. But you see what getting hit one too many times early in your career can do to you. He became gun shy. Instead of getting the ball and standing back there with poise and then being able to step up, if there was a flash of anything, something, it might have been far on the edge, he started to scramble.

"You have to have the faith in your offensive line."

Even Boller, a first-round pick by the Ravens in the 2003 NFL Draft, admitted that he was thrown into the fire too quickly.

"I got thrown in pretty early," said Boller, who started nine games as a rookie in 2003. "It is tough learning a playbook, learning defenses, then you are starting in Pittsburgh this week.

"You want to think that you are ready but I took some valuable lessons from that."

Injuries also have been a major factor in Boller's career. He missed the entire 2008 season because of a shoulder injury suffered in the preseason.

Boller's injury cleared the way for rookie Joe Flacco to lead the Ravens to the AFC Championship game.

"Injuries have prohibited me a little bit," Boller said. "Actually my rookie year playing against St. Louis I got hurt. I felt that I kind of got on a roll. Then got setback, and I just don't think that I was ready to play the game when I was younger. Now that I have been in the NFL for a little bit now, and I have learned a lot, defenses and stuff, I am really just excited about a fresh start."

Boller seems happy with being Marc Bulger's backup for the Rams.

"I am the backup to Marc Bulger," Boller said. "Marc is a great player, and I am going to learn a lot of things from Marc, and hopefully Marc can learn a lot of things from me. This will be my seventh year. I still feel young, but I am kind of getting up there."

Boller believes he still is capable of being a starting quarterback in the NFL.

"I think that I can be an NFL starter," Boller said. "I have been it before and I really want to be it in the future. My situation right now is that I will work hard, and if that opportunity presents itself, I will make sure that I take advantage of it."

Boller said his shoulder feels good.

"The shoulder is great, 100 percent," Boller said. "It feels probably more strong than it did before, just having to do all of the rehab stuff with it."

When healthy, Boller certainly isn't lacking in arm strength. He threw the ball through the goal post from 50 yards away on his knees during his Pro Day at the University of California.

"I was just walking off the field and one of the coaches had come up to me and said, 'Hey, we heard that you could throw it through the goal posts from the 50 (yard line) on your knees,' and I was like, 'Well, yeah,"' Boller said. "He's like, 'Can you do it for me?' I'm obviously not going to tell a pro scout, 'No, I'm not going to do that for you,' so I was hoping that I had a little bit of wind. I got down on my knees and I threw it through the goal posts, and it kind of got blown up big.

"Hopefully, you're never throwing the ball from your knees first and foremost. Hopefully, you're throwing it from your feet."

Other NFL quarterbacks have flourished after having rocky starts in the NFL, and Boller hopes to be one of those individuals.

"You look at guys like Steve Young," Boller said. "He is one guy that had tough times in the beginning. There are a lot of guys that have struggled, not having the careers that they wanted when they were younger, but kept battling and persevering, and I am hoping that I am one of those guys.

"Hopefully, 10 or 15 years from now they will be talking about me, and the only way to do that is to go everyday and work hard and continue to battle."

tenplay is offline Registered User

Re: Kyle Boller is comfortable as a backup for Rams

I am hopeful that Boller will show his potential as a starting NFL QB when the opportunity arises. He had good coaching only his senior year at Cal under Jeff Tedford and then was thrown to the wolves as a rookie starting QB for the Ravens. He got eaten alive behind a porous OL and anonymous FLs. His only capable receiver was TE Todd Heap, who was injured half the time. I am glad to see that he will be given another chance with the Rams with more experience and maturity now.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Hopefully his services, outside of practice or pre-season, will never be needed. However, should an injury occur, he could potentially resurrect his career or relegate himself to career back-up status based upon his performance. This year could be pivotal for him...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post
    Hopefully his services, outside of practice or pre-season, will never be needed.
    Amen, except that I do wish his services are used in 4th quarter situations, when Bulger can have a seat, preferably late 3rd.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm excited to see Boller play. I want to try and catch a preseason game in order to watch him play. Hopefully during the regular season, we don't see him unless we are winning big time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

BEER is offline Registered User

Comfortable at backup is not what I want to here. I want to here "Im here
    to compete for the starting QB job".. At least put some pressure on
    bulger to compete for his job.

tenplay is offline Registered User

I'm sure Boller is just being tactful as the new QB on the block and fully intends to start eventually. After all, he was a fairly successful starting QB for the Ravens when he wasn't injured. But then, looking at our average-at-best OL and young FLs, he might want to take a back seat for now and wait to see some improvement before he gets on the firing line again.