Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    moklerman Guest

The Kyle Turley project?

It seems that a lot of Rams fans aren't too thrilled with the prospect of Kyle Turley returning to the team this year, if ever. Some have speculated that, whether he even wants to return, it will be unlikely that he regains his near 300 lb. weight.

Turley himself has admitted that he has trouble keeping the weight on and that he plays heavier than his frame/build is designed for. In general, I think Turley, while playing, was thought of as an "athletic" RT wasn't he? If he's actually a good athlete, his natural playing weight is in the 270 range(?) and Martz's tendency to experiment with player's positions, I have a proposal that will fulfill a need on the roster and allow the Rams not to waste a contract.

Please welcome your 2005, Rams starting TE Kyle Turley! Okay, I'm not saying he could be a TE for any team in the league but with the Rams' general nonuse of the TE in the passing game and Kyle's superior (for a TE) blocking skills it seems like the perfect fit. I don't know if he can catch at all but he couldn't be any worse the Manumaleuna. Add to that the fiery disposition he has and he might be a Jeremy Shockey-type spark plug for the offense. Maybe even give the O some much needed attitude down in the red-zone.

It kind of sounds crazy, but it also kind of makes sense. If the Rams are going to pick a project every year I think this would bare sweet fruit if handled right.

maineram Guest

Re: The Kyle Turley project?

He's a cancer....cut him !!!

Maineram - :ramlogo:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Anybody think he could possibly play defensive end?

psycho9985 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Anybody think he could possibly play defensive end?
    Doesnt matter he needs to go away.Team 1st,so draft an RT.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I guess it would depend on how quickly he could run and, as mentioned, how good his hands are. But it's not the first project I'd like the Rams to take up, if I had my choice.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

They should chop him up and sell him for parts.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    They should chop him up and sell him for parts.
    Wow, that is extreme. Avenger, you crack me up with the things you say.

I just don't see Turley coming back to play football in any position. I think he is done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

moklerman Guest

Maybe I'm perceiving things differently than they are but it sure seems like everyone has decided Turley is the second coming of Lawrence Phililps and/or Tony Banks and isn't even considering what he might contribute to the Rams.

Conversly, Leonard Little has done far worse as a human being and the consensus seems to be one of welcoming him with open arms, all is forgiven, no harm, no foul. There seemed to be very little resistance, in the long run, to the idea of giving Little a second chance after he did what he did.

But somehow, disagreeing with Martz and getting into a shouting match about it is grounds for banishment from the hearts and minds of Rams fans. Weren't there a lot of people who supported Turley when he was outspoken about the qb debate?

I can understand how some might question his ability to act or be a team player but "chop him up", "he needs to go away" and "cut him"? Kill someone and we'll forgive you but talk bad about the coach of the Rams and we'll hate you forever.

Of course, that's just my impression.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Does anyone know how fast Kyle Turley runs/ran the 40?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

maineram Guest

Good question Nick, let's set that up on June 1st and see how fast he can run to the airport.

Maineram - :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Maybe I'm perceiving things differently than they are but it sure seems like everyone has decided Turley is the second coming of Lawrence Phililps and/or Tony Banks and isn't even considering what he might contribute to the Rams.

Conversly, Leonard Little has done far worse as a human being and the consensus seems to be one of welcoming him with open arms, all is forgiven, no harm, no foul. There seemed to be very little resistance, in the long run, to the idea of giving Little a second chance after he did what he did.

But somehow, disagreeing with Martz and getting into a shouting match about it is grounds for banishment from the hearts and minds of Rams fans. Weren't there a lot of people who supported Turley when he was outspoken about the qb debate?

I can understand how some might question his ability to act or be a team player but "chop him up", "he needs to go away" and "cut him"? Kill someone and we'll forgive you but talk bad about the coach of the Rams and we'll hate you forever.

Of course, that's just my impression.
    To be perfectly honest, I really don't care that much about what type of person Kyle Turley is relative to Leonard Little. My only reason to care about either of them is based on what kind of Rams they have been, and what kind they are likely able to be in the future.

Little may be a horrible person (I don't know the guy, so I won't pass judgment), but he's been a good Ram. He willingly changed positions and became a Pro Bowl player. He's played hurt and and come back quickly from injuries. He seems to be well liked by his teammates. He has the ability to once again be a Pro Bowler. He has demonstrated extremely poor judgment off the field on two occasions, and certainly will have to be watched to see if he's finally learned a lesson.

Turley gave the Rams one decent, though not spectacular, season before going down with his back injury. He seems to have taken a questionable route to recovery, and then blamed the team when things went bad. He's insubordinate and thinks that it is funny to go on television and bash the coach. From all accounts, he's lost a ton of weight and may never be physically able to play as an OT again.

So, which one should I want back as a Ram and which one should I want to be sent on his way?

Scidog68 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    To be perfectly honest, I really don't care that much about what type of person Kyle Turley is relative to Leonard Little. My only reason to care about either of them is based on what kind of Rams they have been, and what kind they are likely able to be in the future.

Little may be a horrible person (I don't know the guy, so I won't pass judgment), but he's been a good Ram. He willingly changed positions and became a Pro Bowl player. He's played hurt and and come back quickly from injuries. He seems to be well liked by his teammates. He has the ability to once again be a Pro Bowler. He has demonstrated extremely poor judgment off the field on two occasions, and certainly will have to be watched to see if he's finally learned a lesson.

Turley gave the Rams one decent, though not spectacular, season before going down with his back injury. He seems to have taken a questionable route to recovery, and then blamed the team when things went bad. He's insubordinate and thinks that it is funny to go on television and bash the coach. From all accounts, he's lost a ton of weight and may never be physically able to play as an OT again.

So, which one should I want back as a Ram and which one should I want to be sent on his way?
    Exactly. These are guys who play football. I don't want to be their buddy. I don't want to be their friend. I don't wish to pass moral judgement upon them. I want them to play the best G/D football they can for my team. Outside of football, if they break a law, punish them. Move on. Play ball. But if they hurt the team, they're gone. Sorry, Mok. In this instance, bad judgement was not a crime and Little was acquitted. Had he been convicted, he would have been replaced and the team would have moved on. Kyle Turley, on the other hand, pointed his moral and ethical turd cannon at the team. This is un-acceptable because it directly and intentionally hurt the team.
    On this board, ClanRam, the team is everything. The Rams. A condemnation of humanity, or LL's piece of it, while probably justified, belongs elsewhere.

Scidog68 Guest

Sorry, Moklerman....that came across a little heavy-handed. Didn't mean to get all soap-boxy and personal-like. I can even agree, to a certain extent, with your point.
    In the context of this thread, however, Turley is the greater evil. IMO, that is.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Do you really believe that it is the fans place to judge Little on his personal life?

I actually began to dislike Turley when he became outspoken about the QB issue. I don't think he should have stated his opinion in public about who plays QB.

I think that Turley is done physically. I don't think he is going to be able to get his body back in the shape necessary to play in the NFL. I am not impressed by his outspoken, non-team oriented style, but I would accept him on the team if I thought he would contribute.

I think it is odd, that you want to judge these two on their personal lives and not on their football contributions. This is not a popularity contest or a place to determine who brings more or less to society. I know we tend to place the players up on pedestals and make them into role models, but the truth is they are human with flaws, just like the rest of us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

By the way - if Kyle Turley was currently in shape, at playing weight, and ready to play like a Pro Bowl RT (while keeping his mouth shut), I'd be welcoming him with open arms despite the fact that is is one of my 4 or 5 least favorite football players of the last 25 years.

The reason? Team first.

End of story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast