throwback week

general counsel Guest

Kyle Turley vs. Lawrence Phillips

Kyle Turley vs. Lawrence Phillips. The two most destructive rams in recent memory. Both have done massive damage to the team, given the cost of acquiring them. Which one was worse?

My gut feeling is that turley will go down as one of the most destructive rams in history when you consider the cost of acquiring (a #2 pick), the massive cap hit on his departure, and the debacle at right tackle during a season that held such high promise. The only point in turleys favor is that the back injury wasnt his fault, whereas phillips was just bad news altogether.

Anyone else that comes to mind, not counting Mike Shad, potentially the all time bust as a first round rams pick.

I admit this is a random topic, but these are slow times.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Kyle Turley vs. Lawrence Phillips

That's a tough one...

I'm going to give Turley the nod, though, due to his repeated public comments about Martz. While Phillips was a bust and a boarderline-criminal, at least he never opened his mouth and attacked the team the way Turley has.

Its funny... I always hated Turley and Jason Sehorn. When they became Rams, I tried to put aside my dislike for them, but in the end, I was right about both guys.

I guess the point is, I'm always right...

Well, most of the time...

general counsel Guest

Jason Sehorn is a good call AV. He may be the winner of the "I did the most damage on one play" award. If sehorn is in position in the carolina game, he picks that ball off, let alone making the tackle. As far as i can tell, he never did anything positive for us the entire year and blew a critical play with the season on the line. I dont put the Az fumble in that category since Az did a lot of great things for the Rams.

general counsel

sbramfan Guest

Not to mention that Az returned one huge right before that fumble vs. N.O.

Sehorn was just washed up, but no more detrimental than that LB Lovie brought over (can't remember his name for some reason) or some of the Offensive Tackles that cost us huge games.

I still don't see why the Rams have to pay Turley? I saw that they might try to sue him to recap some money, but would it apply to the Salary cap going forward? (Because he refused surgery that could have helped his recovery).

Who knows, maybe he'll come back and play....stranger things have happened.

SFCRamFan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I guess the point is, I'm always right...

A legend in his own mind, lol...

general counsel Guest

SB RAm, its not that we have to continue to pay him, we dont. Its that unless we win in arbitration, he keeps the signing bonus that we already paid him, the unamortized portion of which is currently approximately 7.2 million. When we cut him after june 1, we free up 3.65 million in cap this year (which is turleys salary), but eat the 1.8 of the bonus allocated to this year. Next year, we take the remaining hit on the bonus of approximately 5.4 million, unless turley pays some portion of it back.

ramming speed to all, hope this info helps on the cap side.

general counsel

viper is offline Registered User

I'd have to go with Phillips. He was known to be a bad apple and we should have passed on him. At least Turley had some production until he got hurt. I don't think much of his actions since then, however.

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:
    Last edited by viper; -03-24-2005 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Off Topic

psycho9985 Guest

To heck with the money their tied.

rammiser is offline Registered User

It's definately Lawrence Phillips this guy had the potential to turn around a losing organization. I might be alone in this one but I don't blame Turley for what happened. Martz called him out publicly and questioned whether the guy was actually hurt or not. I don't know about you but that would piss me off. So I blame Martz for Turley just as much as I blame Turley himself. Phillips was being relied upon to come in and be a superstar and look at all the talent the Rams could have had in that draft and let someone else draft Phillips. Here are a few guys we could have had instead of Phillips. Mushin Muhammed,Eddie George,Stephen Davis,Randall Godfrey,Brian Dawkins. Thats just to name a few, that draft for the Rams may have been their worst ever. We took Lawrence Phillips and Kennison then Tony Banks and then Conwell and Jerald Moore. The only ones that were any good was Fred Miller,Kennison and Conwell out of that draft, none of which are in St Louis. Talk about a wasted draft. So I'm going with Phillips as the biggest flop.

GO RAMS RE-TOOL FOR 05 :ramlogo: