Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GSOT is offline Registered User

L.A. Doesn't Deserve A Team

According to Eric Dickerson...

ERIC DICKERSON SAYS L.A. DOESN’T DESERVE A TEAM
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2009, 12:32 p.m.
    A reader has forwarded to us an interest link to an item from Joe Buck’s favorite web site (and, thankfully, not from Buck’s second-favorite one).

A member of the TMZ.com patrol of citizen videographers caught up with Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson, asking him when Los Angeles will get another NFL team.

“First of all, L.A. don’t deserve a team,” Dickerson said. “They ain’t gonna support it.”

Dickerson then made an analogy.

“L.A. is like a bad kid,” Dickerson said. “[H]is ball is laying over there, he don’t wanna play with the ball. But when . . . somebody else picks the ball up, then he wants the ball.”

Dickerson then explained the success of the Lakers thusly: “When the Lakers are winning, it’s crowded. But when the Lakers are losing, you could roll a stick of dynamite in there and blow up nothing but the floor.”

Dickerson played for the Los Angeles Rams, which left for St. Louis after the 1994 season. That same year, the Raiders returned from L.A. to Oakland.

In the 15 years since, there has been no serious effort to fill the void, but for an aborted attempt by the Seahawks to move south in early 1996.

We continue to think the best long-term approach would be to expand the regular season to 17 games, and to send a chunk half of the 16 neutral-site games to Los Angeles. This would allow L.A. fans to follow the NFL without having to support any one team.

taken from ProFootballTalk.com

LifeLongRam Guest

Re: L.A. Doesn't Deserve A Team

I think they deserve a team, Dickerson is just a little butt hurt about the old days. In alot of cities when your team is losing the attendance drops, some more than others, LA has too big of market to not have a team IMO, and as long as they have a new stadium they should get a team.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We continue to think the best long-term approach would be to expand the regular season to 17 games, and to send a chunk half of the 16 neutral-site games to Los Angeles.
    Hmm, hadn't heard this idea before. I wonder what the LA fans think about this one. LA might possibly see every NFL team in the league all in one season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Hmm, hadn't heard this idea before. I wonder what the LA fans think about this one. LA might possibly see every NFL team in the league all in one season.
    I'm not a big fan of this idea. Its too narrow in terms of exposing non-NFL cities to live action, and it could cause major travel headaches.

If the league were to go to 17 games (a move I oppose), I'd want the neutral games to be regional (using college stadiums where available):

For example:

Titans vs. Cowboys at Tulsa
    Dolphins vs. Jaguars at Orlando
    Broncos vs. Niners at Las Vegas
    Bengals vs. Bills at Columbus
    Rams vs. Saints at Fayetteville

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    Rams vs. Saints at Fayetteville
    Oooh, I think I'm smellin' a mini bash at your brother's house!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

This attitude raised by Dickerson is silly. Did St. Louis deserve a team after they stopped supporting the Cardinals and subsequently lost them to Arizona? Do they deserve the Rams after years of dwindling attendance and selling their tickets to the highest bidder, resulting in opponents actually gaining home field advantage in the Edward Jones Dome?

I attended a few games the last year the Rams were in Anaheim, a year everyone knew the team was leaving, and I always noticed at the end of those games, several hundred fans would gather at the tunnel and cheer the team, win or lose, as they exited the field. My last memory in St. Louis after the loss to the Giants, was hundreds of surly fans running to the tunnel to chastise, insult and throw things at the team as they exited.

I think it's safe to say for the most part, a teams fan base and support wanes in lean years. It happened in L.A. and it's happening in St. Louis, again. I certainly hope the trend turns around because I'm fine with them in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This attitude raised by Dickerson is silly. Did St. Louis deserve a team after they stopped supporting the Cardinals and subsequently lost them to Arizona? Do they deserve the Rams after years of dwindling attendance and selling their tickets to the highest bidder, resulting in opponents actually gaining home field advantage in the Edward Jones Dome?

I attended a few games the last year the Rams were in Anaheim, a year everyone knew the team was leaving, and I always noticed at the end of those games, several hundred fans would gather at the tunnel and cheer the team, win or lose, as they exited the field. My last memory in St. Louis after the loss to the Giants, was hundreds of surly fans running to the tunnel to chastise, insult and throw things at the team as they exited.

I think it's safe to say for the most part, a teams fan base and support wanes in lean years. It happened in L.A. and it's happening in St. Louis, again. I certainly hope the trend turns around because I'm fine with them in St. Louis.
    But the Rams were winning when Dickerson was there.

HUb, Eric Dickerson loses all credibility with his rediculous, completely false statement about L.A. fans and their support for the Lakers. To use that as proof that L.A. fans don't deserve an NFL team and wouldn't support it is laughable. He can no more guage the mentality of L.A. fans now as he could St Louis fans in 1993.

For the record, I've been to countless Laker games over the years at the Staples Center and the Forum, through good times and bad, and neither facility was ever empty. Not even close.

VenturaFwy is offline Registered User

Yep. For the years 1983 to 1987 (Dickerson was traded after three games), the average Rams' home attendance was 52,791 / 54,455 / 56,242 / 59,285 / 47,356.

You probably don't want to know what the Cardinals averaged during this time. I know. I know. It was totally different.

HUb, Eric Dickerson loses all credibility with his rediculous, completely false statement about L.A. fans and their support for the Lakers. To use that as proof that L.A. fans don't deserve an NFL team and wouldn't support it is laughable. He can no more guage the mentality of L.A. fans now as he could St Louis fans in 1993.

For the record, I've been to countless Laker games over the years at the Staples Center and the Forum, through good times and bad, and neither facility was ever empty. Not even close.
    Dickerson is still bitter about the trade and, I agree, he has no credibility. I mean really, who gives a crap what he thinks about the LA market besides LA haters?

The bottom line is the LA Coliseum Commission is to blame for all of this. They single handedly prevented at least seven (Dodgers Stadium twice, Carson, Hollywood Park, a couple of efforts by the convention center, and the expansion team that went to Houston) efforts to build a stadium because of their self-serving agenda. They also screwed Rosenbloom in 1979. That, to me was, the beginning of the end.

Still it's so easy to blame Angelinos for this. All you hear/read is LA didn't support the team so the Rams and Raiders left. Well, again, the Coliseum Commish screwed it up for LA. They tried to strong arm the NFL, who are no angels themselves, and force them to play in a crap venue. Enter St. Louis and Oakland with an awesome package and both franchises left.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This is all too true. I've been a life-long Laker fan (and life is VERY good right now, thank you!!) and Dickerson has no idea what he's talking about here. Angelinos will ALWAYS love their Lakers. It's really not fair to compare the Lakers (or Dodgers, for that matter) with any other teams in the L.A. market. Both of those franchises have had at least one thing in common over the years: incredibly stable ownership. And the results speak for themselves.

Alas, if only Carroll had not passed so soon maybe all of this would be moot. But it was not meant to be.

WHAT SAY YE?

The St. Louis Rams' fans are having a field day with this on the St. Louis Post Dispatch forum. Dickerson = the epitome of credibility, wisdom, and truth.

Quote Originally Posted by VenturaFwy View Post
    Yep. For the years 1983 to 1987 (Dickerson was traded after three games), the average Rams' home attendance was 52,791 / 54,455 / 56,242 / 59,285 / 47,356.

You probably don't want to know what the Cardinals averaged during this time. I know. I know. It was totally different.
    Time to switch to de-caf, Ventura. For one, you can't even tell me what the Cardinals averaged during that time. You are purely speculating. For two, I wasn't making this a LA/St.L thing. Goodness knows there is too much of that nonsense already.

My point was quite the opposite........the Rams were doing well during ED's time. Why would he complain about fans leaving once the Rams started losing? He wouldn't know!

Time to switch to de-caf, Ventura. For one, you can't even tell me what the Cardinals averaged during that time. You are purely speculating. For two, I wasn't making this a LA/St.L thing. Goodness knows there is too much of that nonsense already.

My point was quite the opposite........the Rams were doing well during ED's time. Why would he complain about fans leaving once the Rams started losing? He wouldn't know!
    1983: 38,702
    1984: 46,519
    1985: 40,669
    1986: 35,548
    1987: 27,821

As for your point, sorry I missed it. It sure sounded like typical LA hate.

I think I misread you as well HUb. My appologies big fella.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast