Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Lack of Offensive Talent is No Excuse for Poor Playcalling

"Its the playcalling!"

"No, its the lack of skill players!"

"No, its the playcalling!"

"No, its the lack of offensive talent."

Wait a minute... maybe both are right.

Nobody would argue that the Rams have an abundance of talent at the skill postions. Steven Jackson is an "A" list player. Sam Bradford may very well be one in a year or two, but he's not there yet. Mark Clayton is a solid "B." Beyond that, let's be honest... its a bunch of B-/C+ players, at best.

So that excuses the vanilla playcalling, right?

Absolutely not!

Let's take a look at the most creative example of playcalling in recent years... the Wildcat. It was put into place by the Miami Dolphins during a time when they too had very little offensive talent. And, guess what... it worked!

I'm not saying the Rams should use the Wildcat (which defenses have caught up with two years later, making it little more than a gimmick). But what the Dolphins demonstrated is that creativity is EXACTLY WHAT IS NEEDED when a team does not have great offensive talent.

Heck, if the Rams had Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Dallas Clark (along with SJ), it wouldn't matter what offense they ran. They could have a 10 play playbook and still move the ball.

When you don't have the ability to continually win one-on-one matchups, a bit of trickery... some misdirection... some unpredictablity.... that's what keeps the defense off balance.

Fritz Shurmer needs to reach into his bag of tricks (if he has one) and find a way to surprise opposing defenses. If he doesn't, he probably won't be around long enough to see the Rams get an influx of offensive talent.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Lack of Offensive Talent is No Excuse for Poor Playcalling

The Rams play calling today made Chuck Know look like Air Coryell. Horrible. Yes we have a rookie QB but if the other team knows what's coming they're gonna shut it down. No imagination at all.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I agree with you Av, but I also think Devaney is partly to blame for not getting some legit #1 talent here at the WR position, also Spags is to blame for not coaching what players he has to do better at their jobs and finally I partly blame the players for not doing a better job. Let's face it this isn't most of these guys rookie seasons, not just the recieving corp but the o-line and d-line, there's no excuse for how bad some of them play. I don't like to be negative but this crap is getting old and somehow it has to change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Yeah, I agree, AV. When you don't have a true stud at the receiver position and are struggling to compete, you have to be creative. As you pointed out, Miami is an excellent example of a team who won by doing just that two years ago with very little talent at the skill positions. That's a credit to Tony Sparano and his staff.

The announcers (Lynch and Pitts) today said "when you draft a guy to be your future franchise QB, you have to get him a big go-to-guy". The more I see the Rams struggle on offense, the more I agree with them. Until that guy arrives, the Rams simply have to shake things up to generate momentum and ultimately points. We can't let our defense stay out there for what seems like forever every game.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

when devaney got here there were maybe 3 or 4 holes filled on both sides of the ball combined...you can't plug them all at once! still, a v-jackson trade would probably do this team wonders, either way shurmur has to go, he's had enough time to prove that although being a quality teacher of the game at the qb position he cannot be in charge of play calling.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

At this point, it makes a lot of sense to get Vincent Jackson. Regardless if there's a lockout, if we keep playing like this, BD won't have a job; neither will Spags. I doubt Stan will give them another year if this is how the offense is going to produce. Next week we are facing Donovan McNabb team that got, what, 385 yards of offense? We need a way to answer...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Football is like playing poker...you deal with the cards delt to you. Grant the Rams didn't pick up any help for Jackson in the offseason...have limited weapons for Bradford to throw too....The Rams still have a shakey O-line making it even harder to throw the deep ball.

Yet that is where an OC earns his keep...thus far if I was Shurmer...i'd be sure keep an eye on the help wanted section of the newspaper.. I wasnttoo impressed last year and this year with 2 close games that where winnable...maybe first on the list of to-dos is get a new OC

The Chiefs are not an offensive power house and manage to move the ball

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think Shurmur was giving the Rams the worst of both worlds today. In the second half, he mindlessly sent SJ into the teeth of the defense, while in doing so didn't give Sam a chance to get into any sort of rythm.

ramsforeternity is offline Registered User

i still think the lack is from the line our line isnt doin anything incogneto was our best lineman after he left it was even worse. and i also think we would do good if we ran wildcat

mh-i is offline Registered User

If the O line isn't any good how do you run a Wildcat offense?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

The play calling today was horrible. The best players in the world wont make plays if the defense knows whats coming. The majority of the run plays I saw went right up the gut into a pack of angry Raiders. The Raider DBs were sitting 5-7 yards off the line of scrimmage... and standing there while the Rams WRs ran routes that went right at them or shorter. When they finally opened it up and got aggressive we got a TD.

I keep hearing that the Rams need "to learn how to win". These guys have been playing football for years and they need to learn how to win? I don't feel any fire from the coaches during this game. Leave the stoic facial expressions to someone else and show some fire.

And call a damn sweep or deep pass more than once a quarter.

We all think the play calling is pathetic at best, but maybe Shurmur is calling plays that work for the talent level he has on the field. After all you can't make a steak out of a hotdog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    We all think the play calling is pathetic at best, but maybe Shurmur is calling plays that work for the talent level he has on the field. After all you can't make a steak out of a hotdog.
    Then why doesn't he come out and demand better players?

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Then why doesn't he come out and demand better players?
    Maybe he has behind the scenes, I don't know, but you would have to agree that the talent level at certain skilled positions isn't up to par with the rest of the NFL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    Maybe he has behind the scenes, I don't know, but you would have to agree that the talent level at certain skilled positions isn't up to par with the rest of the NFL.
    If he has, Devaney isn't listening. This team only added Clayton because Avery got hurt. And it's not like #2 running back hasn't been a need for Devaney's entire Rams tenure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast