MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Ladies Day at Rams Park–How did the Rams look?

Ladies Day at Rams Park–How did the Rams look?
    August 16, 2011 By Rob Rains

(GUEST COLUMN BY RITA KIRY RYAN) — Under partly cloudy skies, on what they called Ladies Day, with the temperature a balmy 76 degrees, the Rams opened Monday’s camp promptly at 2:25 p.m. Sitting in the VIP tent I had an excellent view of the offense and so I’ll focus my comments on that side of the ball.

If the Rams have a vertical passing attack they certainly didn’t show it today. Offensive plays, seven on sevens and eleven on elevens all featured short, or underneath passes that were usually caught by Danny Amendola or Kendricks. The running game was also heavily emphasized, with SJ39 and Cadillac Williams both getting plenty of work.

Here are my observations about the various offensive units.

Quarterbacks: Sam Bradford continues to show he is a leader. He calls the play quickly in the huddle, directs the wide receivers, and had a good grasp of the offense. One area where he needs to grow and improve is that he needs to quit relying so much on Danny Amendola and check down throws. I want to see some passes over twenty yards. Several people in the crowd mentioned this too.

AJ Feeley is starting to look more comfortable and releases the ball much quicker than he did at the Lindenwood scrimmage or during practice last week. Thad Lewis is still a project. Taylor Potts was released today.

WRs: Brandon Gibson is just a guy. In all of the practices I’ve attended he’s done nothing to warrant being a #1 or even a #2 receiver. Of the three long balls thrown to him today, he dropped the first one and the other two went in and out of his hands.

Danny Amendola is eighty percent of the Rams passing attack. He is Bradford’s security blanket, but that’s because he catches everything in sight. He lines up everywhere and is always in motion. In one play he ran a reverse. Austin Pettis made a nice catch on a long ball and otherwise was not noteworthy.

The #2’s today were Mardy Gilyard and Danario Alexander. Gilyard had a very good practice and continues to improve throughout camp. He made two really nice catches today, both of which got the small crowd excited. Alexander was not thrown at much today and I believe this got him discouraged. He looked disappointed for the first part of practice, as none of the QBs looked to his side of the field. At one point he and his position coach appeared to have an exchange of words over a downfield block.

Later the coach came up to him and offered some encouragement, as did Ron Bartell. Alexander recovered after that. He was only thrown to once afterward, and caught the ball. He wears a full leg brace, but runs well and moves with agility. Greg Salas returned to practice today, played with the twos, and looked solid, but not spectacular.

Michael Simms-Walker and Donnie Avery both were on the field but did not practice. Avery continues to wear a baseball cap during practice.

TEs: Right now Lance Kendricks is the focus of this offense. Like Danny Amendola, he lines up everywhere and is also frequently in motion. He also catches everything thrown at him and has yet to line up in the wrong spot.

Rookie TE Michael Hoomanawanui (dubbed by coach Steve Spagnuolo as “Illinois Mike” due to his long name) returned to practice today. He was mixed into the first unit and lined up with Kendricks on several running plays. Billy Bajema also lined up with Kendricks on some running plays and looked good. Both Illinois Mike and Bajema appear to be very solid in the position. Tight end is going to be a position of strength for this team.

Fendi Onobun did not practice today.

Running Backs: Steven Jackson is already in mid-season form. He practiced in a long-sleeved white shirt and long white socks. I didn’t see him stutter-step once as he approached the line. In what may be an interesting twist to the new offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels offense, Jackson lines up as a wide-out in the 4 receiver set. He caught a number of passes in this position and he also caught a several passes out of the backfield. It reminded me of how Mike Martz used Marshall Faulk in the Greatest Show on Turf days. A few times Jackson and Cadillac Willliams lined up on the field at the same time.

Keith Toston also had a good practice Monday and runs as if he’s not going to give up his roster spot. After years of uncertainty, the running back position will also be a position of strength.

Jerious Norwood did not practice on Monday.

In summary, the Rams put on a nice but not every exciting show for us females in attendance today. After treating us to a tasty Bandana’s catered meal, the team ran an efficient and well-executed practice. Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo wastes no time at all. He stands on the offensive side of the ball throughout the entire practice and occasionally leans in to hear how Bradford runs the huddle.

After practice, the back-up players for the Rams’ secondary signed autographs for any kid who wanted one. The temperature had risen considerably by that time — to a sultry 88 degrees. The players were hot and tired. Many of them had their jerseys off and were sweating profusely, but they all pleasantly accommodated every child. This organization has come a long way in reaching out to its fan base.

The laugh of the day was provided by a loud and verbose fan who repeatedly yelled: “Get fired up Rams! Nobody is your friend out there! Get down low and stick ‘em!”

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Ladies Day at Rams Park–How did the Rams look?

I'm starting to think the buzzer from last year is coming back to haunt us. Remember when they had the buzzer in practice and Bradford had to throw within about 3 seconds? That could very well still be in his head.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Could that last item be the first PeoriaRam sighting of the year? I wonder how he looked in drag? I'm picturing the heavy-set lady with the hooker makeup from The Drew Carey Show.

Seriously though, I have no problem with fans wanting to see the dink-dunk of last year replaced-I do,too- but surely getting the run game and short passing game grooved is the key to making those explosive plays happen. I suspect they are installing & practicing the McD offense like they've rebuilt this team; from the inside out. And how can an observer say there was no evidence of a vertical attack in one paragraph & mention long balls, complete or not, thrown to Gibson and Pettis later on. Which is it?

I hate it when fans get reflexively defensive about a player or situation but I continue to think some are being overly anxious/critical about the pass attack. Further evidence to support the idea that patience is merited can be found in Denver's pre-season last year.Not a lot of long ball strikes there,either. I'd guess the idea is to perfect the stuff that stretches the defense wide & brings up safeties first before going deep. Whether the guys who could be the recipients/beneficiaries of that strategy will get healthy enough to take advantage is anybody's guess but I wouldn't bet against Bradford figuring out his part in the equation.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Could that last item be the first PeoriaRam sighting of the year? I wonder how he looked in drag? I'm picturing the heavy-set lady with the hooker makeup from The Drew Carey Show.

Seriously though, I have no problem with fans wanting to see the dink-dunk of last year replaced-I do,too- but surely getting the run game and short passing game grooved is the key to making those explosive plays happen. I suspect they are installing & practicing the McD offense like they've rebuilt this team; from the inside out. And how can an observer say there was no evidence of a vertical attack in one paragraph & mention long balls, complete or not, thrown to Gibson and Pettis later on. Which is it?

I hate it when fans get reflexively defensive about a player or situation but I continue to think some are being overly anxious/critical about the pass attack. Further evidence to support the idea that patience is merited can be found in Denver's pre-season last year.Not a lot of long ball strikes there,either. I'd guess the idea is to perfect the stuff that stretches the defense wide & brings up safeties first before going deep. Whether the guys who could be the recipients/beneficiaries of that strategy will get healthy enough to take advantage is anybody's guess but I wouldn't bet against Bradford figuring out his part in the equation.

That was hilarious, her name was Mimi.

I wouldn't count Bradford out of anything. He just needs to adjust to this new offense. He is a fart smeller I mean smart feller lol he will figure it out.