throwback week

RamsFan16 Guest

La'Roi Glover Signs Three-Year Deal (Full Article from www.stlouisrams.com)

La'Roi Glover Signs Three-Year Deal
    Monday, March 6, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The Rams started their defensive makeover Monday, three days before the official start of free agency. And they started it in a big way, signing defensive tackle La’Roi Glover to a three-year contract.

In adding the 31-year old Glover, the Rams have brought on one of the NFL’s most consistent, dependable players, regardless of position. Glover has been to six consecutive Pro Bowls and is somewhat of an iron man, playing in 143 consecutive games.

Glover’s addition should bring some stability to the defensive line, according to coach Scott Linehan.

“He’s going to fit a big part of what we’re trying to get done here, add some veteran leadership, as well as his obvious playing ability on the defensive front,” Linehan said. “It is one of those things where if you can get somebody that can help you play at a higher level and also bring key leadership to your team and get things done the way we want to get them done, it’s a big bonus.”

Dallas released Glover late last week in an effort to get underneath the salary cap. The Cowboys had Glover and Jason Ferguson under contract last year, but ran mostly out of a 3-4 defense. Though Glover had never played in a 3-4 before, he managed to win the starting job at tackle instead of Ferguson.

Glover finished the season with just 26 tackles and three sacks, but he made the Pro Bowl again for his efforts and proved he is one of the most versatile tackles in the league.

“He’ll do whatever you ask, and always has been a team player that way and does it at a high level,” Linehan said. “More importantly, on top of his ability, he brings great leadership. I’m sure that he has been banged up during the course his career, but he has been one of the most durable players in a 10-year period that maybe this league has seen. That’s the work ethic, the toughness, that coming to work everyday and treating things the way a pro needs to treat them. All of those things that he can teach some of our young players, it’s going to be huge. Those are some of the things that I see, as well as his ability to come help us stuff that middle a little bit.”

After finishing 30th in the league in total defense a season ago, the Rams made improving the defense a priority heading into the offseason. Although free agency doesn’t officially begin (maybe) until Thursday because of delays on a new collective bargaining agreement, the Rams were able to address this need right away.

It didn’t take long for St. Louis to get in touch with Glover. Glover played five seasons in New Orleans for new Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. In his time with the Saints, Glover posted a career-high 17 sacks in 2000.

Because of his relationship with Haslett and linebackers coach Rick Venturi, it became easier for Glover to feel comfortable in St. Louis upon his arrival in town last night.

“Definitely, because I know what type of coach he is, and I know his résumé and what he brings to the table,” Glover said. “Rick Venturi is another coach that was in New Orleans who is now here. I think they can put together schemes very well, they can motivate, they can do all of the things that great coaches do.”

Glover has been in the league for 10 seasons, five with New Orleans, four with Dallas and one with Oakland. He has racked up 71.5 sacks, second among defensive tackles behind only Warren Sapp.

After that breakout 2000 season, Glover began his impressive run of six straight Pro Bowls and believes he can continue to play at that high level.

“I’m the type of guy; I take it one season at a time, first of all,” Glover said. “I prepare the right way. I love to train and lift the weights and do the running and all that good stuff. I try to practice the same way as well, full speed and try to be extremely intense and take pride in what you do, and have passion about it, and be very passionate about it. So I don’t think that is going to change one bit.”

Glover arrived in St. Louis on Sunday night, but made it clear that if the numbers were right on a contract he would like to get a deal done sooner than later. Of course, the Rams were eager to get their defensive shopping spree under way and weren’t about to let Glover leave without a deal.

Glover projects to be a “three” technique in the Rams’ base 4-3 defense, but could be used in a number of ways when the team mixes in 3-4 package elements. And though Glover is a surefire starter, his signing doesn’t eliminate the possibility of bringing in another tackle, or more specifically, bringing back one of their free agent tackles in Ryan Pickett or Damione Lewis.

“It doesn’t eliminate the possibility,” Linehan said. “We still need to address our overall depth and ability inside and our defensive front. So we’re still talking to those fellas about the possibility of coming back.”

Although that door remains open, it is clear that the Rams’ defensive facelift is only beginning with the signing of Glover. Glover doesn’t mind being the first piece in what he hopes will turn into a dominant defense and team.

“There are obviously needs defensively for this organization,” Glover said. “Hopefully this is the time to do it through the draft, through free agency, getting in quality players who can come in and immediately help us out. Once again, hopefully we have the right set of guys and we can get back to the winning ways that we are accustomed to in St. Louis.

“Hopefully, with Leonard Little on one side and Adam Archuleta hopefully gets resigned, and guys like that defensively, the sky’s the limit. If we can get enough quality players in, and keep some of the quality players that are already about the roster, a lot of good things can happen. The offense is already very potent, and that is probably going to stay the same. Hopefully a lot of better things can come out of this.”

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: La'Roi Glover Signs Three-Year Deal (Full Article from www.stlouisrams.com)

“It is one of those things where if you can get somebody that can help you play at a higher level and also bring key leadership to your team and get things done the way we want to get them done, it’s a big bonus.”
    Sounds alot like BRUCE!!!

psycho9985 Guest

Re: La'Roi Glover Signs Three-Year Deal (Full Article from www.stlouisrams.com)

I hope Glover has three productive years left in him.

Sanantonioram Guest

Thumbs down Re: La'Roi Glover Signs Three-Year Deal (Full Article from www.stlouisrams.com)

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    I hope Glover has three productive years left in him.
    Even if he doesn't, he certainly has coach written all over him!