sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Last open training camp

Well yesterday was the last open training camp so I decided I needed to go. I'll give you a run down of what little I seen. I say that because it was indoors so all fans were on one side of the field. So at times the players were in the way.

Darian Stewart is going to be the starter alongside Mikell I would say because that is how they were practicing. Leber, Laur, and Poppinga were the starters at LB. Gibson, Amendola were the starting two and the third rotated. Kendricks of course was at te with Bajema.

What I saw that I didn't like was Avery on kickoff duty. I don't know what the position would be called I think it would be a gunner on Punt. I hope that was just because it was no contact so he could get some running in.

I guess I forgot how fast Amendola is but he definitely reminded me today. Along with Gilyard they returned punts. Gilyard looked good from what I seen. He made some pretty good runs he pretty fast himself.

Gibson made a awesome catch. Best way to describe it is it is exactly like the catch Greg Jennings made last week vs the tards. Its on the nfl website its the back shoulder td grab highlight.

There were two 83's at practice and they did not tell us who the other 83 was so I had a review for pettis but I think it turned out to be someone else that looked very poor so I will go with it wasn't pettis.

There is a guy at TE named Ben Guidugli and he was catching everything that was thrown at him from Feeley so he may be a sleeper in the TE race to beat out bajema.

They did not practice with Thaddeus a lot so I am not sure if that means anything. Feeley saw plenty of time but Sam did get most of the reps.

The rushing seemed to do pretty well. There were some nice holes for Jackson. And I am going to say this right now. Jackson may not have his best year this year but it will be in the top 3 at least. He is going to be in beast mode this year. His numbers were awesome in 06 so that is why I say he may not have his best year. He very well could though.

Long would of killed the QB in one of the plays had it been contact he just had to stop. Quinn is working mostly on the right side in second team but I think he will be in rotation on first team.

There were multiple receivers that switched around on second team. Greg Matthews was out there a few times I believe with Joe West.

Sorry I was going through the roster they gave me to remember everything that is why its broke down like that.

I got about 11 autographs on a Jackson jersey of mine. Jackson left really quickly so I was not able to get his this time. It was really easy to talk to them all and they all seemed pretty nice. Gilyard really stuck out because we were talking about how he can't wait for the regular season to actually start. Chris Long had a pretty good conversation with the guy in front of me seemed like they have talked before since he told Long of a good restaurant. Quinn had a long conversation with a guy ahead of me that the guy saw big things for Quinn this year. 13 sacks defensive player of the year and so on. I heard all that and proceeded to say that he was shooting low I was thinking MVP lol. Quinn thought this was all pretty funny. Its pretty cool that they will take the time to talk to you.

Any questions just let me know I probably just left it out.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Last open training camp

Sounds like a fun day & lucky you to get to watch out of the heat. Exciting to think that this is really the start of McD's time to go all "mad scientist' with all these new ingredients to play with now that practice will be private.

Stewart starting worries me. Maybe I'm wrong to judge the guy on a widespread breakdown of the run D last week.Maybe he just needs more reps to play up to his potential. That's a complex spot on that D, by all accounts.

Good to hear that Long's foot is apparently OK.No sighting of Hall? Saffold? Bell?

Can't believe The Rams would use Avery as a gunner so I hope you're right that it was a conditioning thing. Gilyard's quick burst was really apparent a couple of times vs The Titans last week. I hope he's got the book learnin' done so he can showcase it. I think he'd be a wicked screen weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Sounds like a fun day & lucky you to get to watch out of the heat. Exciting to think that this is really the start of McD's time to go all "mad scientist' with all these new ingredients to play with now that practice will be private.

Stewart starting worries me. Maybe I'm wrong to judge the guy on a widespread breakdown of the run D last week.Maybe he just needs more reps to play up to his potential. That's a complex spot on that D, by all accounts.

Good to hear that Long's foot is apparently OK.No sighting of Hall? Saffold? Bell?

Can't believe The Rams would use Avery as a gunner so I hope you're right that it was a conditioning thing. Gilyard's quick burst was really apparent a couple of times vs The Titans last week. I hope he's got the book learnin' done so he can showcase it. I think he'd be a wicked screen weapon.
    It was a 100 degrees the entire time outside so they wanted the players fresh. And I have a feeling we haven't seen anything at all as to what he has up his sleeve. I got the general sense from when I talked to some of the players that there is going to be a lot more plays that run than last year and players used in different ways. They wouldn't go into details but they were all smiles.

Stewart is going to be a good safety for us this year. He may not be right off the bat but I will be by week 17 we are pretty satisfied with his play.

Long is going to be just fine. Long was moving it seemed without any discomfort. Hall was there working. As were Saffold and Bell. Saffold was around Sam a lot he is a great tackle protecting his QB when they aren't even on the field lol. That was me just forgetting they were down with injuries but ya I seen them all there practicing. I will have to go through my pictures I know I have a pic of Saffold and Sam together.

Avery wasn't in there on every kickoff and did not make contact with people. So we will have to see what happens. I am hoping it was just to get him into shape faster. We will have to watch for that tomorrow night.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I have no idea how Pettis is truly doing, but at first people were saying he is doing a good job and has been a good security blanket. But it seems like everything recent about Pettis is about how much he is struggling.
    I think he was drafted with eyes on his play in the red zone so we will wait and see.? Nothing on Greg Salas sjacksonrules.?
    It's good to here the Rams getting better at the safety position, Dahl isnt the greatest of athletes for an NFL starter.
    Its looking like Avery is back from the dead, its about time he played up to his draft status. Cant wait for tomorrow's game, since the Rams moved back to the Lou, the Chiefs have killed us. GREAT TEST FOR THIS YEARS RAMS.

RAMS 24 Chiefs 27 F.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -08-25-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    It was a 100 degrees the entire time outside so they wanted the players fresh. And I have a feeling we haven't seen anything at all as to what he has up his sleeve. I got the general sense from when I talked to some of the players that there is going to be a lot more plays that run than last year and players used in different ways. They wouldn't go into details but they were all smiles.

Stewart is going to be a good safety for us this year. He may not be right off the bat but I will be by week 17 we are pretty satisfied with his play.

Long is going to be just fine. Long was moving it seemed without any discomfort. Hall was there working. As were Saffold and Bell. Saffold was around Sam a lot he is a great tackle protecting his QB when they aren't even on the field lol. That was me just forgetting they were down with injuries but ya I seen them all there practicing. I will have to go through my pictures I know I have a pic of Saffold and Sam together.

Avery wasn't in there on every kickoff and did not make contact with people. So we will have to see what happens. I am hoping it was just to get him into shape faster. We will have to watch for that tomorrow night.
    Thanks for the updated report. Lots of interesting things to watch tomorrow & good to know that last week's disappointing display won't linger on injury-wise except for poor Uh-Oh.
    Time to silence The Queefs & get The Governor's Cup back where it belongs !

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Thanks for the updated report. Lots of interesting things to watch tomorrow & good to know that last week's disappointing display won't linger on injury-wise except for poor Uh-Oh.
    Time to silence The Queefs & get The Governor's Cup back where it belongs !
    I believe we can win that game. The chiefs have not done so well this preseason.

Avery is back but I think we won't see anyone run full speed till Sept 11th. Salas was in there with the second team along with I think it was pettis. But when they were in the players blocked the view.

I recommend everyone record the Eagles vs the Rams it is going to be memorable. I think we are going to go all out against them.

Anything else just ask because as you can see I left a lot of stuff out. Hard to remember all at once and not leave out anything. I didn't write anything down so I have to go off memory.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Saffold was around Sam a lot he is a great tackle protecting his QB when they aren't even on the field lol.
    And on the field! Did you see that nasty block of his on the Gibson TD against the Titans when he marched his guy all the way across to the other side of the OL? He ended up pushing him into Jason Smith!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    And on the field! Did you see that nasty block of his on the Gibson TD against the Titans when he marched his guy all the way across to the other side of the OL? He ended up pushing him into Jason Smith!
    I thought I was the only one that noticed. He pushed him around for like 7 yards and then just tossed him on the floor ...all right beside Jason Smith.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I was actually worried he might injure Smith because he blocked the guy into the back of Smiths legs, and NFL linemen get a lot of injuries in freak situations like that

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I was actually worried he might injure Smith because he blocked the guy into the back of Smiths legs, and NFL linemen get a lot of injuries in freak situations like that
    Same thing ran through my mind! Good thing everyone is alright, though I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.