STLRAMSFAN Guest

Smile Last years draft

We should really wait one year to grade this year’s draft. If we want to grade a draft how about last years draft.

Out of last years draft our first 4 rounds were pretty good two starters and a LB that is seeing a lot of action between ST and defense. None of these three guys had done anything at this time last year.

1 26 Steven Jackson RB Oregon State
    2 We did not have a 2nd round pick.
    3 91 Tony Hargrove DE Georgia Tech
    4 130 Brandon Chillar LB UCLA

When you get down to the 5th round its really a crapshoot.

5 158 Jason Shivers S Arizona State
    6 201 Jeff Smoker QB Michigan State
    7 237 Erik Jensen TE Iowa
    7 238 Larry Turner OT Eastern Kentucky

Looks like a good job last year by the FO so far.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Re: Last years draft

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. The Rams got a starter with the 1st round pick that they traded up to get, and I like S. Jackson... but if we are going to grade them, other running backs drafted later are doing just as well Julius Jones and Kevin Jones. No 2nd round pick .. I forgot why it was traded.. whatever it was for must be factored in. Tony Hargrove seems to be a good pick but inconsistent early play means he's not a sure star (but I think he will be). Brandon is a solid backup. You can't disregard the later rounds they are supposed to be for depth with a surprise or two, yet I don't think any of the four are on the team this year. No matter how much of a crapshot 0 of 4 is a bad return. So much like the other Rams drafts I grade it (so far) a mixed bag. Like the recent ones they got a quality 1st rounder who should fit the system (Jackson = Barron) who is being slowly worked into the lineup, made a reach (Hargrove=Bartell) on a great athlete that were questions about that they hope will work out, one high pick they get nothing (no 2nd pick = Incognito = Eric Crouch is we go back another year), got one solid backup who may or may not ever be a quality starter (Chillar = OJ). Nothing from the bottom, which is why they have continued to have depth problems.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    We should really wait one year to grade this year’s draft. If we want to grade a draft how about last years draft.

Looks like a good job last year by the FO so far.
    Last edited by ramhard; -09-24-2005 at 09:18 PM.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Ramhard if you had to pick good or bad two years later what’s your pick?
    Good does not mean great.
    I agree with Hargrove that he may or may not make it in this league but he is a third rounder who is starting in the NFL in year 2.

I was just talking about the people that they drafted at the position they drafted them it looks as though the first three were good picks.

You forget a lot of people thought the Rams should go a different direction not many thought the Rams had a need at running back. We had Faulk and Gordon. Who cares about the other two running backs in the draft? We drafted a a good one our selves. At 24th overall we got the #1 RB on the board. If you look at any team you can always make the argument that there maybe a player better after their pick. The question is did you get good value for your picks and to that I say yes to the first three.

Rams trade their 26th pick overall and St. Louis fourth-round pick (No. 123) for Jackson.

Here is where our second round pick went:

March 22, 2003 Acquired offensive tackle Kyle Turley from the New Orleans Saints for a 2004 second-round draft pick. He played great in 2003 and helped solidify the RT spot that year.

I don’t blame them for that every Ram fan was happy when we got him to solidify the RT spot.
    It was unfortunate that he had a serious injury and then started fighting with the team.

I agree with the 5th -7th but I still think the first four rounds is were I would rather hit on players and I think they did a good job of that.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -09-24-2005 at 10:50 PM.

ramhard is offline Registered User

I don't think the draft is good or bad, I think it is average at best - decent at the top but poor at the bottom. So not saying horrible - just not saying the FO should get 'credit' for doing average. My hope is that this years draft will end up being great for the Rams.. but if you end waiting until year 3 for impact from a draft choice, and they have a 3 year contract (as most but 1st rounders have - which is why I have no problem waiting on the 1st rounders but the others you need to have a return faster), you end up paying guys 3 years of salary and bonus for one year of production before they become high priced FA's.