RamWraith is offline Registered User

Late show from Oakland will feature first-teamers

By Bill Coats
    Tuesday, Aug. 21 2007

They’ll have to stay up late to see it, but Rams fans eager for an extended look at the first-team offense and defense will get their chance Friday night. Coach Scott Linehan plans to give them at least two quarters of action at Oakland, where kickoff is scheduled for just after 9 p.m. St. Louis time.

“We’re planning on most ‘ones’ – I would say almost all ‘ones’ – playing the entire first half and possibly the opening drive of the second half,” Linehan said Tuesday. “Then we’ll have the ‘twos’ finish the second half. Most everybody that has a great shot of being on the final 53(-man roster) will play at least a half in this game.”

Still, Linehan and his staff will try to get some of those further down on the depth chart in the game.

“Some other guys that are on the bubble, guys that are vying for spots, some guys that maybe haven’t had opportunities, will maybe get some time in the second half or fourth quarter,” he said. “Other than that it’s going to be a first- and second-unit game for us.”

The starters figure to get scant, if any, playing time in the final preseason game, Aug. 30 vs. Kansas City at the Edward Jones Dome.

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce, the last of the Los Angeles Rams, is starting his 14th-season in the NFL. But he’s a rookie blogger. You can check out his musings at http://yardbarker.com/users/IsaacBruce.

Memorials for Kathy Garrett, the wife of tight ends coach Judd Garrett, can be made to the Kathleen Kobler-Garrett Scholarship Fund at Princeton University or Rosati-Kain High School.

Mrs. Garrett, 38, died Sunday after a brief illness.

Notes from Tuesday’s practice:

>>QB Ryan Fitzpatrick took part in team drills and threw without pain. Fitzpatrick has been hampered since suffering a cracked rib high on the right side of his chest at Minnesota.

>>LB Tim McGarigle, who suffered a hamstring injury early early in camp, is improving but probably won’t play Friday. McGarigle, who spent last season on the practice squad as a rookie, hasn’t appeared in a preseason game.

>>A camera crew from “60 Minutes” was on hand, getting footage for an upcoming segment on left tackles in the NFL. No, Mike Wallace wasn’t in the house.

>>T Jeremy Parquet is taking some reps at guard. Centers Dustin Fry and Dave Pearson also are getting work at guard.

>>RG Richie Incognito’s left ankle, sprained Saturday vs. the Chargers, is still sore and he might be questionable for Friday. Claude Terrell and Milford Brown split time with the first team.

All for now…

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Late show from Oakland will feature first-teamers

Hopefully it will be on SOPcast.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Keenum is offline Registered User

According to my reseach, the Rams game SHOULD be on sopcast. Same channel as it has been.
    I wish I could be here for the live game, but I'll be off at my high school's first game (which is actually a preseason game for us, we only get on). I graduated from there last year, and this is the first time in 3 years I'll actually WATCH the football team rather than playing on it.
    I know it comes on NFL Network Saturday morning sometime, I'll be sure to catch up on it then, and read what you guys all thought on the boards when I get home (probably around 11:00 PM CT for me, guess I'll be able to see the end of it).

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The third preseason game is traditionally a dress rehearsal for the regular season, so I'm sure the coaching staff is going to want to see some cohesiveness, continuity and steady play from the starters.

I know preseason play is normally not anything to be concerned with, but the first half against the Faiders will be the most substantial indication of how things are progressing, so IMO it's important for both sides of the ball to show some improvement over the first two games.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

This game will be replayed on NFL NETWORK at 4pm et on Saturday.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I really hope people don't get too excited when our D shuts down the faiders....now if somehow the faiders score a bunch on us in the first half we are in big trouble.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I really hope people don't get too excited when our D shuts down the faiders....now if somehow the faiders score a bunch on us in the first half we are in big trouble.
    I was thinking the same thing Josh. The Faiders aren't the best test, but I'm looking for the guys on defense to show they can consistently wrap up ball carriers, fill gaps, not blow coverages, hold their own at the point of attack and get some pressure on the QB.

I know the Faiders are supposed to have a top defense, but I'm certainly not convinced, especially after the way we ran roughshod over them last year, so I do expect some trips into the endzone.

The area where they do excel is on kick returns, and that's where I think we can get a good test and an accurate guage of where we stand.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    OK, I thought it was earlier than that. Thanks for the info!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Good, I'll set my DVR.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

In an astonishing turn of events the local powers that be have decided to show the game live here in Hawaii .. Probably because there are a fair amount of Raider fans here. Usually we barbecue on Friday nights, but pizza sounds better for this Friday -- less distraction ...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

It's on LIVE here in the OC. I've got the DVR set anyway, so I can go back later and look at the game film.

I also have a new bottle of Patron Anejo ready. A shot for every score and nice defensive stop should do it.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968